New Twsbi Classic

migo984

I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do like the new and useful packaging as it was something I was proposing in the past along with many similiar minded pen users wanting to see more useful pen packaging. Kudo's to TWSBI for listening to their customers and adapting products with new innovations and approaches. I picked out a Rose Gold pen so hope I get a new one for Christmas when Santa arrives. Maybe these new pens will be on my Santa list next year.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Koyote

• migo984

• Lisya72

• inotrym

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone actually held one of these, or written with one? Sorry if I missed that part of the discussion (point me there if so?)

Not sure why Speedy generally doesn't believe in posting, but Mini is one of the best posting pens I've ever handled. C'mon Speedy, we know you could design all your pens to post flawlessly if you wanted to! Stop teasing us :P

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

Yes, that is why I was wondering who has held one. No post could be a deal breaker for someone with large hands and who is using it in places where one can't put down the cap safely. And with a pen this size... Bummer if that turns out to be right (and the FP Geeks are very reliable about such things), because the facets on the cap and barrel look pretty cool.

I also think that I will pass. It does look like a kit pen. So far, I have really liked TWSBIs - I have a 540, a Vac 700 and the Micarta. Too bad!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

My gripe is that they went from the slightly flexy to the unpleasantly stiff nib (Bock to JoWo). Alas. The lovely plush ride is finished. I do love TWSBI in general, but the nib? Uhhhh, not so much. I might buy the body and replace the nib with Bocks. I did love that white one they demo'ed in rose gold. Nice but never got into production.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

My gripe is that they went from the slightly flexy to the unpleasantly stiff nib (Bock to JoWo). Alas. The lovely plush ride is finished. I do love TWSBI in general, but the nib? Uhhhh, not so much. I might buy the body and replace the nib with Bocks. I did love that white one they demo'ed in rose gold. Nice but never got into production.

indeed the bock nibs were great when working as intended.. if only there quality check was better

I like the understated look of the pen. I have a few other TWSBIs and have never had a single problem out of any of them. I expect this one to be the same. I don't care about whether or not it posts as I generally don't post pens unless they are so short they need to be posted to be able to write with them. Flex is lost on me as well. I love the look of well-written words written by someone with great penmanship. But I realize that I don't have good penmanship, so writing with a flexible nib just makes my writing more illegible.

I got a Goulet gift certificate for Christmas, so I'm anxiously waiting until they get the Classic in stock.

I can confirm that the pen does not post -- not at all. The cap just falls off. This leaves a pen barrel that is, in my opinion, a bit too short (and thin) for extended use.

But I disagree with Fabienne about the nib: mine has the 1.1 stub, and it is nice and smooth, and I don't mind the rigidity. To each his own.

I have small hands, so I really like this pen. However, I'll pass this time, my KarasKustoms Ink has been the one to steal the money for this.

My pen already is leaking from the section, around the ink window. Two bloody days and it's defective. I think that is a record, even for TWSBI.

Sigh.

My pen already is leaking from the section, around the ink window. Two bloody days and it's defective. I think that is a record, even for TWSBI.

Sigh.

What? Ouch! What a disappointment. I hope you can get the situation resolved with some satisfaction.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

Have you perhaps loosened your section? It unscrews rather readily, and this in turn can allow leakage rather easily.

This pen is perhaps the prettiest of the whole TWSBI line.

I also like the mini. 580 seems a little bulky to me.

I know TWSBI is working on a green version of the Classic, but Speedy, would you consider a grey version too?

For a $55 pen, it is full of design features. This ink window is so very nice, on a non-demonstrator pen. Piston filler is a huge value, which of course all TWSBIs have, except the Vac. I am medium in hand size, and the unposted pen is plenty long for me. The 1,1 mm nib is still but has the lightest touch of compliance, so it well behaved. Personally, this is my favorite TWSBI so far.

The infectiously quirky 803/805 Micarta is still the tops for a courageous item to put into production. And the Classic is half the price of the Micarta. So I feel the value of this pen is really high. It may be more of a writers pen than a collectors pen, and this is high praise.

As a fountain user, the Classic is a perfect gift pen for a graduate or spouse, so they keep their hands off your PFM, 146, or Duofold.

To me, as a product designer in a manufacturing environment, this pen uses good materials and finishes. This pen is excellent in the details and smooth operation.

This is approximately my sixth TWSBI. I am a huge fan and cannot wait for the next TWSBI.