The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Binder Xxxf Extra Flex Nibs

binder flex nib pelikan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ahriman

ahriman

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:47

After failing many times to get good photos from an iPad, I have given up.

So, my apologies for the truely poor images, which do not do justice to the

wonderful nibs from Richard Binder.

The Edison Nouveau Premiere LE has a JoWo nib customized to XXXF with Extra Flex (Artists Nib),

and the ink is Diamine Oxblood (which I find to be wetter than the Kon Peki in the Pelikan).

The Pelikan has its Pelikan nib customized to XXXF with Extra Flex. The ink in the Pelikan is

Iroshizuku Kon Peki.

Both these nibs are soooo... amazing. Just wonderful.

I've posted two images, both awful quality, unfortunately. The paper looks like paper bag paper in

the photos! The first is on an Exacompta pad, and is really white paper! The second is on regular

(read 'poor') quality graph paper. The grid, at 5 squares to the centimeter, gives a clearer idea of

scale than plain paper.

I have not flexed either nib very hard, usually writing with only the weight of the pen plus a little.

My estimate is that I used light medium pressure for these samples for the 'squiggly bits'.

I never flex a fountain pen nib very heavily.

These pens are used for regular, everyday writing, not just for special occasions. They're that smooth,

but I have to mention that I learned to write with old school steel nib pens. So I may be biased.

Does anyone else remember the inkwells in desks?

I can heartily recommend these nibs! Hmmm....Maybe I need some more of them! :)

Attached Images

• BinderNib-Exacompta.jpg
  • Binder-GraphPaper.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:01

So these modified "flex" nibs from Mr. Binder must be gold - right?

#3 ahriman

ahriman

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:42

So these modified "flex" nibs from Mr. Binder must be gold - right?

Yes, they are 14K gold. I should have mentioned that!

#4 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2013 - 14:23

Do they write smoothly on 100% cotton paper??  That's a much  greater challenge for  nib smoothness than commonly found tree based paper, and I imagine that nibs with such fine nibs would have difficulty on such paper.

Edited by Blade Runner, 08 December 2013 - 14:26.

#5 ahriman

ahriman

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 23:06

Do they write smoothly on 100% cotton paper??  That's a much  greater challenge for  nib smoothness than commonly found tree based paper, and I imagine that nibs with such fine nibs would have difficulty on such paper.

Well, I've checked my cache of paper (Tomoe River, Life, Lalo, Sennelier, Midori, Rhodia, Clairefontaine). None state the rag content,

so none are 100% cotton, except possibly the Japanese papers--I can't read the descriptions on those. 

I don't use my pens for artwork, but for math or physics jottings, mainly in notebooks. I just love the feel of a real pen.

And I am quite forgiving of a scratchy nib since I am not fond of either extremely smooth nibs or paper like Clairefontaine.

My Edison came with a fine gold nib that was so smooth it just glided across the page. I never loved that nib, too smooth.

For me, not enough 'character'.  My husband loves that nib, so it will work out, when he decides he wants a new pen.

The Binder nibs do not 'catch' on the paper I use, but I can usually hear them move across the page. They very rarely feel like the paper is

catching the nib and grabbing it. But they don't 'glide', and I use very light pressure. No 'death grip'.

I'm sorry, that this is not very helpful. I haven't used some of my papers yet: Lalo & Life. I can try those and report back, if you like.

#6 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:05

Thank you for your reply.   I've never owned such fine nibs and I only use100% cotton stationery (like Crane's), so I was very curious.     Given they are from Binder,  I would bet that they write well on any paper.  Enjoy.

#7 2brothers

2brothers

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:36

Lovely review! Thank you!!

Todd  :happycloud9:

#8 brewsky

brewsky

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 23:09

I have been waiting for a review on his xxxf flex nibs for quite some time. I must stay away from such modifications.. but man they sure do look like fun!

#9 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:45

Any chance of posting a larger picture that shows the line variation?

I prefer F/EF nibs and would love to have more flex available - especially if it is "Binderized".

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binder, flex nib, pelikan

Sponsored Content

|