Townsend Fp

pp763

Having purchased the ballpoint version im now looking to buy the fp version. Im looking at the quartz blue or the black lacquer ones with either rhodium or gold plated trim. Has anyone got any of these that could give me some opinions on them

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pp763

• jslallar

• Ursus

• 1point1mm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my Townsends is in black lacquer with gold-plated trim. And 14K gold nib. It is a handsome pen and has been an excellent writer. The caution I would add, which has been posted many times on FPN, is that the Townsend is a relatively heavy metal pen with a heavy cap. When the cap is posted, the pen may feel top-heavy to an uncomfortable degree.

The common advice is to use the pen unposted. It is long enough and heavy enough so that writing with it unposted will not give a sense that there isn't enough pen in your hand. There is enough pen. For some people, too much pen. It is therefore a good idea to try holding the pen before buying one.

I have the black with gold trim too. It has a lovely broad (which is more akin to my stubby BB mb 144 nib) nib which writes incredibly smoothly. A firm favourite for me.

I have one of the earlier Cross Townsends in which I bought here in Melbourne, Australia. I was living in Melbourne that time and this was back in about 1992. I actually bought a set, a black FP with gold accets 14kt gold nib and also a matching rollerball as well with.

Both actually made in the USA.

I own a couple of Townsend FP's and they are fantastic. I'm a long-time fan of Cross FP's in general, and the Townsend is worth the effort and will not disappoint.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by CSSD

I have 9 Townsend fps in nib sizes ranging from extra-fine up to and including BB. They have never disappointed me. Unless you have very small hands the size and weight should not matter. They do look gorgeous when posted so I would give it a try--some find that rotating the cap clockwise helps the balance when posting (the details are contained in another post somewhere else on this forum). When I first started with Townsend fps as a beginner another, more experienced user, responded to me that Townsends would perform on par with equivalent models from much more expensive German manufacturers; my experience with this excellent Cross pen causes me to agree wholeheartedly with that assessment. Warning--once you get hooked you'll want one in every color and nib size. Good luck, vinper

Thanks for the replies everyone. As fate would have it ive purchased a townsend rollerball in black lacquer with rhodium trim and will end up purchasing a delta dolcevita medium fp next week. I dont normally go for rollerballs but I made a killing on it, around 80% off rrp!

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

• 2 weeks later...

As fate would have it ive purchased a townsend rollerball

Fate can be cruel! I've 'eard of 'em fancy rollerballs - a fountain pen with no nib, they say! What do you do with'em anyway? :lticaptd: In Copenhagen we have a tea shop where they literally throw people out if they talk about coffee. -_-

• 2 weeks later...

I know how you feel ha ha. Ive purchased a medium nib unit so it shall be converted. Incidentally the Delta didnt write at all so I swapt it for an Omas 360

For this specific line from Cross, how's the Tuxedo? I chanced upon one just once, now no more.

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

I must admit that I did use r........ myself for several years; but then a Cross Townsend fountain pen appeared to me. I did not buy it, but it's beauty converted me (to converters, so to speak). :)

No one here has the Cross Tuxedo Sterling Silver FP?

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

No, but we always take gifts :rolleyes:

Say! You just gave me an idea. Let me see what I can do. :D

I really like my Townsend and am planning on replacing the plated gold nib with a Bold gold one. Funny to be "improving" it after 15 years of service.

I also plan to convert it to an eye-dropper because the converter holds very little ink and I am not a cartridge person.

But beware--it will cost you significantly more in ruined shirts than the price of the pen. The clip is just a stamping with rough edges where it meets the shirt pocket. I plan to use it as a desk pen from now on.

• 1 month later...

No one here has the Cross Tuxedo Sterling Silver FP?

If by that you mean a black lacquer body, silver trims, and a sterling silver lined cap, BTW it has been called a 'Tango' and a 'Tuxedo', and despite trying I could not figure out which was the correct name. My final assumption was that the FP is called Tuxedo, and the RB is called a Tango.

I have one, and a 'Custom' too, which has gold trims and a 14K rolled gold cap and 14K gold nib (M).

Edited by jslallar

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

I have 9 Townsend fps in nib sizes ranging from extra-fine up to and including BB. They have never disappointed me. Unless you have very small hands the size and weight should not matter. They do look gorgeous when posted so I would give it a try--some find that rotating the cap clockwise helps the balance when posting (the details are contained in another post somewhere else on this forum). When I first started with Townsend fps as a beginner another, more experienced user, responded to me that Townsends would perform on par with equivalent models from much more expensive German manufacturers; my experience with this excellent Cross pen causes me to agree wholeheartedly with that assessment. Warning--once you get hooked you'll want one in every color and nib size. Good luck, vinper

i agree, as an owner and user of 6 Townsends and many German pens, these wonderful pens still find a regular slot in my pen rotation, and i enjoy using them.

BTW vinper, I have never seen a EF or a BB being sold in the Cross site, and would certainly appreciate a few good pics of these nibs if you can kindly post them.

Edited by jslallar

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

I know how you feel ha ha. Ive purchased a medium nib unit so it shall be converted. Incidentally the Delta didnt write at all so I swapt it for an Omas 360

I was going to suggest that you buy a nib unit and convert the RB to a FP. The barrel is long enough to accommodate the converter without modification. Green converter is what you need with it if you use bottled ink (I hate cartridges). The only set back is that an experienced user will know of the conversion by the absence of the black dot on the top of the cap. That has never bothered me and I have converted one of my RBs to a FP thus and use it with pleasure.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

Incidentally the Delta didnt write at all so I swapt it for an Omas 360

Frankly, none of my Deltas have been able (or willing) to write right out of the box. But I have been too much in love with them for me to give up on them like that. Deltas need lots of love and persuasion (and a little brute force and correction) before they will do anything for you. That you don't need to buy them pearls and marry them are the only things missing. I won't be surprised if one of these days my Deltas will demand that I buy them each their own beach house. You must pay the price, though... Deltas are the only kind of mistresses allowed by the Pope. And they sure are beautiful!

I was going to suggest that you buy a nib unit and convert the RB to a FP. The barrel is long enough to accommodate the converter without modification. Green converter is what you need with it if you use bottled ink (I hate cartridges). The only set back is that an experienced user will know of the conversion by the absence of the black dot on the top of the cap. That has never bothered me and I have converted one of my RBs to a FP thus and use it with pleasure.

I was thinking of doing that! I know what you mean about the dot on the cap I reckon I can live with it for the low price of a nib unit