#1 pp763

pp763

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:56

Having purchased the ballpoint version im now looking to buy the fp version. Im looking at the quartz blue or the black lacquer ones with either rhodium or gold plated trim. Has anyone got any of these that could give me some opinions on them
Current PensMontblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

#2 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 18:03

One of my Townsends is in black lacquer with gold-plated trim. And 14K gold nib. It is a handsome pen and has been an excellent writer. The caution I would add, which has been posted many times on FPN, is that the Townsend is a relatively heavy metal pen with a heavy cap. When the cap is posted, the pen may feel top-heavy to an uncomfortable degree.

The common advice is to use the pen unposted. It is long enough and heavy enough so that writing with it unposted will not give a sense that there isn't enough pen in your hand. There is enough pen. For some people, too much pen. It is therefore a good idea to try holding the pen before buying one.

#3 da vinci

da vinci

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 23:14

I have the black with gold trim too. It has a lovely broad (which is more akin to my stubby BB mb 144 nib) nib which writes incredibly smoothly. A firm favourite for me.

#4 Albinoni

Albinoni

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 16:59

I have one of the earlier Cross Townsends in which I bought here in Melbourne, Australia.  I was living in Melbourne that time and this was back in about 1992.  I actually bought a set, a black FP with gold accets 14kt gold nib and also a matching rollerball as well with.

Both actually made in the USA.

#5 CSSD

CSSD

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:24

I own a couple of Townsend FP's and they are fantastic.  I'm a long-time fan of Cross FP's in general, and the Townsend is worth the effort and will not disappoint.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by CSSD, 08 December 2013 - 03:24.

#6 vinper

vinper

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 00:51

I have 9 Townsend fps in nib sizes ranging from extra-fine up to and including BB.  They have never disappointed me.  Unless you have very small hands the size and weight should not matter.  They do look gorgeous when posted so I would give it a try--some find that rotating the cap clockwise helps the balance when posting (the details are contained in another post somewhere else on this forum).  When I first started with Townsend fps as a beginner another, more experienced user, responded to me that Townsends would perform on par with equivalent models from much more expensive German manufacturers; my experience with this excellent Cross pen causes me to agree wholeheartedly with that assessment.  Warning--once you get hooked you'll want one in every color and nib size.  Good luck,  vinper

#7 pp763

pp763

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2013 - 18:08

Thanks for the replies everyone. As fate would have it ive purchased a townsend rollerball in black lacquer with rhodium trim and will end up purchasing a delta dolcevita medium fp next week. I dont normally go for rollerballs but I made a killing on it, around 80% off rrp!
Current PensMontblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

#8 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 15:27

As fate would have it ive purchased a townsend rollerball

Fate can be cruel! I've 'eard of 'em fancy rollerballs - a fountain pen with no nib, they say! What do you do with'em anyway? :lticaptd: In Copenhagen we have a tea shop where they literally throw people out if they talk about coffee. -_-

#9 pp763

pp763

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 21:41

I know how you feel ha ha. Ive purchased a medium nib unit so it shall be converted. Incidentally the Delta didnt write at all so I swapt it for an Omas 360

#10 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:29

For this specific line from Cross, how's the Tuxedo? I chanced upon one just once, now no more.

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

#11 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:55

I must admit that I did use r........ myself for several years; but then a Cross Townsend fountain pen appeared to me. I did not buy it, but it's beauty converted me (to converters, so to speak). :)

#12 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:02

No one here has the Cross Tuxedo Sterling Silver FP?

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

#13 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:25

No, but we always take gifts :rolleyes:

#14 1point1mm

1point1mm

Semper Viridis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:50

No, but we always take gifts :rolleyes:

Say! You just gave me an idea. Let me see what I can do.  :D

#15 Michigan

Michigan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:28

I really like my Townsend and am planning on replacing the plated gold nib with a Bold gold one.  Funny to be "improving" it after 15 years of service. 

I also plan to convert it to an eye-dropper because the converter holds very little ink and I am not a cartridge person.

But beware--it will cost you significantly more in ruined shirts than the price of the pen.  The clip is just a stamping with rough edges where it meets the shirt pocket.  I plan to use it as a desk pen from now on. 

#16 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2014 - 22:40

If by that you mean a black lacquer body, silver trims, and a sterling silver lined cap, BTW it has been called a 'Tango' and a 'Tuxedo', and despite trying I could not figure out which was the correct name. My final assumption was that the FP is called Tuxedo, and the RB is called a Tango.

I have one, and a 'Custom' too, which has gold trims and a 14K rolled gold cap and 14K gold nib (M).

Edited by jslallar, 18 February 2014 - 22:57.

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#17 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2014 - 22:48

I have 9 Townsend fps in nib sizes ranging from extra-fine up to and including BB.  They have never disappointed me.  Unless you have very small hands the size and weight should not matter.  They do look gorgeous when posted so I would give it a try--some find that rotating the cap clockwise helps the balance when posting (the details are contained in another post somewhere else on this forum).  When I first started with Townsend fps as a beginner another, more experienced user, responded to me that Townsends would perform on par with equivalent models from much more expensive German manufacturers; my experience with this excellent Cross pen causes me to agree wholeheartedly with that assessment.  Warning--once you get hooked you'll want one in every color and nib size.  Good luck,  vinper

i agree, as an owner and user of 6 Townsends and many German pens, these wonderful pens still find a regular slot in my pen rotation, and i enjoy using them.

BTW vinper, I have never seen a EF or a BB being sold in the Cross site, and would certainly appreciate a few good pics of these nibs if you can kindly post them.

Edited by jslallar, 18 February 2014 - 22:48.

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#18 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2014 - 22:52

I know how you feel ha ha. Ive purchased a medium nib unit so it shall be converted. Incidentally the Delta didnt write at all so I swapt it for an Omas 360

I was going to suggest that you buy a nib unit and convert the RB to a FP. The barrel is long enough to accommodate the converter without modification. Green converter is what you need with it if you use bottled ink (I hate cartridges). The only set back is that an experienced user will know of the conversion by the absence of the black dot on the top of the cap. That has never bothered me and I have converted one of my RBs to a FP thus and use it with pleasure.

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#19 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:52

Incidentally the Delta didnt write at all so I swapt it for an Omas 360

Frankly, none of my Deltas have been able (or willing) to write right out of the box. But I have been too much in love with them for me to give up on them like that. Deltas need lots of love and persuasion (and a little brute force and correction) before they will do anything for you. That you don't need to buy them pearls and marry them are the only things missing. I won't be surprised if one of these days my Deltas will demand that I buy them each their own beach house. You must pay the price, though... Deltas are the only kind of mistresses allowed by the Pope. And they sure are beautiful!

#20 pp763

pp763

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2014 - 19:19

I was going to suggest that you buy a nib unit and convert the RB to a FP. The barrel is long enough to accommodate the converter without modification. Green converter is what you need with it if you use bottled ink (I hate cartridges). The only set back is that an experienced user will know of the conversion by the absence of the black dot on the top of the cap. That has never bothered me and I have converted one of my RBs to a FP thus and use it with pleasure.

I was thinking of doing that! I know what you mean about the dot on the cap I reckon I can live with it for the low price of a nib unit

#21 pp763

pp763

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2014 - 19:22

Frankly, none of my Deltas have been able (or willing) to write right out of the box. But I have been too much in love with them for me to give up on them like that. Deltas need lots of love and persuasion (and a little brute force and correction) before they will do anything for you. That you don't need to buy them pearls and marry them are the only things missing. I won't be surprised if one of these days my Deltas will demand that I buy them each their own beach house. You must pay the price, though... Deltas are the only kind of mistresses allowed by the Pope. And they sure are beautiful!

I would have stayed with the Delta but I was torn between the 360 and the dolcevita and it gave me the answer when it wouldnt write. I will eventually purchase another Delta. Either the oversize oro or the stantuffo oro probably with stub nib as the B nib I had had no line variation when I dipped it

#22 vinper

vinper

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 00:42

i agree, as an owner and user of 6 Townsends and many German pens, these wonderful pens still find a regular slot in my pen rotation, and i enjoy using them.

BTW vinper, I have never seen a EF or a BB being sold in the Cross site, and would certainly appreciate a few good pics of these nibs if you can kindly post them.

Despite several attempts I've been unable to successfully photograph and post pictures of my pens.  There is a photograph of a Cross Townsend with a BB elsewhere on this forum.  My XF Townsend has a solid 14k nib in yellow gold housed in a matte blue finished body.  The pen was purchased from the Cross Pen Mall online.  Both are outstanding pens with unique personalities of their own.  vinper

#23 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 20:02

Despite several attempts I've been unable to successfully photograph and post pictures of my pens.  There is a photograph of a Cross Townsend with a BB elsewhere on this forum.  My XF Townsend has a solid 14k nib in yellow gold housed in a matte blue finished body.  The pen was purchased from the Cross Pen Mall online.  Both are outstanding pens with unique personalities of their own.  vinper

Thanks for trying just he same vinper.

I have seen the posts which show the BB nib. 

The M and B cross gold nibs that I have are stubbish, the steel M and B nibs are round tipped. This BB nib in gold also looks rounded. Are they meant to be like that or am I seeing things??

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#24 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:14

Thanks for trying just he same vinper.

I have seen the posts which show the BB nib. 

The M and B cross gold nibs that I have are stubbish, the steel M and B nibs are round tipped. This BB nib in gold also looks rounded. Are they meant to be like that or am I seeing things??

The BB nib in gold is round, and very broad indeed. You aren't seeing things.

9712761475_e2326476ef_b.jpg

9715995490_a142d19740_b.jpg

#25 Chris

Chris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 13:09

Now that's a nib!

You might even have to write with a Townsend posted to balance that ball of tipping.

I have one B and all my other Townsends are M, but now I'm plain envious - and I have no doubts that this great BB would write as wonderfully as it looks. In fact, it is perhaps the only nib capable of keeping up with the rate at which I buy ink.

#26 lahlahlaw

lahlahlaw

nothing serious

• Premium - Ruby

• 956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:26

That is quite a nib, I wonder how many pages it would take to wear it down, a whole tree worth? :-)

Edited by lahlahlaw, 02 April 2014 - 08:28.

wanna stub?

#27 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:49

Why, thank you! I was just playing with my macro lens and managed to take much better photographs of the nib and its tipping. Here you go.

13579562473_e06bd6897c_b.jpg

13579883864_1d7047621a_b.jpg

13579562293_092ab014be_b.jpg

13595111583_75f330da2d_b.jpg

Edited by shuuemura, 03 April 2014 - 04:13.

#28 lahlahlaw

lahlahlaw

nothing serious

• Premium - Ruby

• 956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:35

Why, thank you! I was just playing with my macro lens and managed to take much better photographs of the nib and its tipping. Here you go.

13579562473_e06bd6897c_b.jpg

13579883864_1d7047621a_b.jpg

13579562293_092ab014be_b.jpg

13595111583_75f330da2d_b.jpg

good thing I was wearing safety glasses when I scrolled upon this picture!! :yikes:  :yikes:

wanna stub?

#29 lahlahlaw

lahlahlaw

nothing serious

• Premium - Ruby

• 956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:41

Since we are the subject of townsends, maybe someone knows the name of the finish on mine. It's a steel nibbed version and the color is quite similar to the titanium herringbone, but not the same pattern and mine is more brown. Very strange...

image.jpg
image.jpg
wanna stub?

#30 Chris

Chris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2014 - 13:16

What a wonderful nib and thank you for these great pictures :drool: