Organics Studio Walt Whitman Leaves of Grass

Sandy1

➤ Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below. As the patches are neutral Grey, that is what you should see.
- Mac : http://www.computer-darkroom.com/colorsync-display/colorsync_1.htm
- Wintel PC : At the operating system level, associate colour profile 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' with your monitor, then deploy Calibrise http://www.calibrize.com/

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/27ddb717.jpg

➤ As Photo*ucket lost the basic functionality to display linked files as required, and includes advertising with linked images, I've embedded the HiRes images. I apologise should that choice slow your display times.

≀∰≀

Fidelity
One may compare the appearance of ink I used to the depiction on the Organics Studio site: organicsstudio dot com

Figure 1.
Swabs & Swatch
Paper: HPJ1124.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK251_zps1bfc52ae.jpg

Figure 2.
NIB-ism
Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.
Distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK253_zpsca5b94a1.jpg
L ➠ R: Estie, 45, 1745, ATX, P99, Prelude.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick
Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK254_zpsa2f2c4d1.jpg
Figure 4.
Paper: Rhodia.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK255_zps50b01760.jpg

Figure 5.
Paper: G Lalo.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK256A_zpsecb409ed.jpg

Figure 6.
Paper: Royal.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK260_zps4f400667.jpg
Figure 7.
Paper: Staples.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK258_zpsca8535e9.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 8.
Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK252_zps23b05a4b.jpg

Figure 9.
Bleed- Show-Through on Staples.
(Reverse of Figure 7.)
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK259_zps2b3eecc5.jpg

Hi-Res Scans
Originals are 30x60mm

Estie on HPJ1124:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK261_zps10492aca.jpg

1745 on Rhodia:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK262_zps1ccc8746.jpg

ATX on G Lalo:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK264_zpsbdc730a5.jpg

Prelude on Royal:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK265_zpsc422e2bf.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.
  • As this is a 'Special Edition' ink, duration of availability is open to speculation.

Daily writer?

• Doubtful.

A go-to ink?

• When the time has come to write outside the box.

USE

Business:
(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)
N.B. As Green ink may be used by [financial] Auditors, I suggest that those who work with records which may be included in an Audit should not use Green ink for business.

• Too far away from the customary Blue through Black hues to suit routine business correspondence. Yet when run at a low value from a wet pen, (such as the P99), OSWW can slip in the side door to deal with non-routine matters in a calm affirming manner; might suit mediators, ombudsmen, hostage negotiators, etc.
  • For personal work product, we have a pleasant writing experience. For extensive use of very narrow nibs on copy/print papers, I'd choose one less rigid than the Posting nib on the Estie; a Platinum Carbon Pen with its Asian EF nib was so much more comfy.
  • To achieve high readability suitable for ploughing through tomes, the line seems to need a bit of heft, which may be achieved by using nibs somewhat wider/wet than usual. That might take a bit of wrangling by those who use both sides of 'lowest bidder' papers, but if one is set on using this ink, such effort should be rewarded.
  • Use as an alt/aux ink is rather limited, though will certainly do the necessary if colour-coding of one's work is needed, indicating anomalous/outlier entries on forms, and mark-up / annotation of work done in Blue.
  • As Green is an affirming hue, OSWW should not be used for error correction.
  • Not enough zap for grading, even for those who do not use a Red-centric ink for that task - dust off the Lamy Green instead.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• An interesting and useful pick for charts & graphs in both area & line formats.
  • For lines & labels one needs to keep the value a bit high to keep the hue evident, yet keep the line sufficiently saturated to suppress shading a bit.
  • As a watercolour there's potential for variable hue washes, but it will take one far more brush-savvy than I to give form to that thought. Some dye will come adrift when overworking with water or wet media, though I found the remnant hue a bit odd.

Students:

• As for business use above, getting the 'right' appearance for general notes could take a wee bit of effort, so OSWW could be most useful as an alt/aux ink, and a very good candidate for condensed study notes. (Not as mood enhancing as a Turquoise, but miles ahead of Black.)
  • As usual, a light hand is advantageous when using both sides of cheap & nasty paper.

Personal:

• I am still recovering from being traumatised by Lamy Green. My path back included Caran d'Ache Amazon, MB Jonathan Swift & Sailor Jentle Epinard, and it seems that OSWW is another step in the right direction.
  • For 'personal' personal writing, OSWW is a departure from my usual Turquoise through Blue-Black inks, so seems to be an 'on purpose' ink in my array. There is considerable malleability, so one is able to fine tune the appearance to suit whatever that purpose might be.
  • For pro forma personal business writing, I'd rather use whatever default Blue is to hand.
  • Predominantly in the United Kingdom, use of Green ink to write public figures or members of the fourth estate has the connotation that the author might've been sectioned or is mad as a box of frogs. As such, OSWW may be a good pick when/if responding to the next dunning letter.
  • While it is early days for this ink, I am most comfortable running it slightly dark, but not so dark as a Green-Black - I do like the hue.
  • There is the temptation to use shaped or flexi nibs, though at this time a ~0.6mm Stub seems to be enough. For short notes and greeting card enclosures, the wider nibs promise great swathes of subtlety, if not for writing, then ornamental flourishes perhaps. *reaches for the 2.4 Parallel pen*

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Slightly wet.

Nib Dry-Out:

• Not seen

Start-Up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• Just a bit high.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after three days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Staples: See Figure 9.
  • HPJ1124: A few freckles from the P99.
  • All other pen+paper combos used are greenlighted for two-sided use. :thumbup:

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.

Aroma:

• Slightly sharp on my slightly sharp nose.
  • Not noticed whilst writing.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean-Up (pen):

• Prompt and thorough with plain water.
  • For recently charged pens, the use of my easy-going DIY pen cleaning solution of 0.5% ammonia+surfactant did not release any visible residue after my fussy water-only cleansing regimen.

Mixing/Blending:

• No stated prohibitions.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• An invitation to breathe easy.

Saturation:

• Moderate.
  • A well-inked line is easily achieved.

Shading Potential:

• Most definitely.
  • Slightly understated.

Line quality:

• Very good for a simple aniline dye-based ink.
  • There seemed to be instances of line-width variation (spread) greater than usual, so those with a heavy hand or using a flexi nib should watch for that.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • Higher than expected.
  • Papers used:
    • Higher than expected.

Malleability:

• High.
  • We have another ink that responds to changes of both pen and paper, and has the roomy performance envelope to enable such manipulation with low risk exposure to a flawed result.
  • The wily practitioner is likely to choose paper before pen. Paper will determine the perceived hue of the ink, which is quite sensitive to the base-tint of the paper when the ink does not fully dye the paper surface; and to establish the simultaneous contrast between paper and ink.
  • Also consider the nature of the light source for viewing - warm light sources accent the Green aspect of OSWW.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Neutral whites.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Dirty whites.
  • Those loaded to the gunnels with optical brightening agents.

Copy/Printer Paper:

• Quite compatible.
  • Those who prefer a rather saturated line should not be overly concerned about bleed-through on 'lowest-bidder' papers, though you won't know til you give it a go.

Tinted Papers:

• I prefer the native hue of the ink, so much prefer neutral white papers.
  • The warmer papers, even the Natural White of the G Lalo, will certainly accent the Green aspect of the ink by adding warmth to its native hue when translucent, and/or by simultaneous contrast.
  • The Buff-Chamois papers could be quite interesting.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Very much a matter of preference over performance.
  • Those who wish to explore the full range of this ink should bring some high-end [coated] papers to the party.

ETC.

Majik:

• While this one can be conjured, I just don't see Majik.

Billets Doux?

• Not from yours truly.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• Prelude on Royal.
  • The factory Stub is of middling width and slightly dry, which generates moderate line width variation along with subtle shading, which combine to yield a line of subtle complexity, but not so much so that it would slow reading. (In my case that is moot: my handwriting alone is enough to slow reading to a crawl.)
  • The Royal is quite absorbent, which off-sets the dryness of the pen and holds the shading in check. The paper is a stark White so the native hue of the ink is clearly portrayed. Also, not seen on your display, is the soft hand of the paper, which adds an engaging tactile aspect.

Yickity Yackity:

• It seems I have rather a lot to say about this ink - perhaps I really am getting along much better with Green inks.
  • Ah kushbaby, is it time to turn over another new leaf?

= ==== =

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens
- Written Samples:
A. Esterbrook J + 9550 steel XF Posting nib.
B. Parker 45 + steel F nib.
C. Reform 1745 + duo-tone steel nib.
D. Cross ATX + steel M nib.
E. Pelikan P99 Technix (Blue) + steel B nib.
F. Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel Stub nib.
- Lines & labels: OMAS Turquoise from a Pilot Penmanship + EF.

Papers:

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobouquet, IP.Board s/w, and your viewing gear.

Other Inks

• This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of Green inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.
  • Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Fine Print
◊ The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.
◊ Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.
◊ As always YMMV, due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, etc.
◊ Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 2013 Green Grey-Green

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Masque

• amberleadavis

• nomadhacker

Excellent as always Sandy. Very detailed exploration of another interesting ink.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

Good review - think I'll stick to Salamander.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Excellent as always Sandy. Very detailed exploration of another interesting ink.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

Upon reading reading your Review of this ink, my curiosity was piqued when you mentioned that it "Looks good for serious writing, or a sepia sort of color." https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/253353-organics-studio-walt-whitman-leaves-of-grass/?p=2786879

My take is a bit different, but certainly not contrary.

The hue leans away from the Yellow of the vibrant Green inks, so isn't leagues away from some of the murky Green-Brown inks such as Stipula Verde Muschiato.

It seems to me that inks of a rather unique hue should be quite malleable so one can generate the desired appearance. After all, we have enough inks that run on rails that suit no-fuss routine writing. :)

Bye,

S1

Hi,

I would expect that you'd have a considerable preference for Salamander - nothing less! :D

I have yet to spent time with the more verdant Salamander, though it just might be another stepping stone on my path to developing a healthy relationship with Green inks.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

Upon reading reading your Review of this ink, my curiosity was piqued when you mentioned that it "Looks good for serious writing, or a sepia sort of color." https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/253353-organics-studio-walt-whitman-leaves-of-grass/?p=2786879

My take is a bit different, but certainly not contrary.

The hue leans away from the Yellow of the vibrant Green inks, so isn't leagues away from some of the murky Green-Brown inks such as Stipula Verde Muschiato.

It seems to me that inks of a rather unique hue should be quite malleable so one can generate the desired appearance. After all, we have enough inks that run on rails that suit no-fuss routine writing. :)

Bye,

S1

It is indeed in an unusual spectrum. I guess I should probably clarify my own reviews that my idea of serious writing is for serious personal writing. I don't really engage in handwritten business correspondence since I work remotely.

I saw a mention of MB Jonathan Swift up in your review when talking about getting over your trauma over green inks. This one seems very close to J. Swift (or Swift-dog, cause we're close like that). I keep meaning to break out a comparison whenever I have time, since they're so close in that they're:

both a very similar color

both have similar flow

both named after writers

and both named for writer's connection to green hued vegetation

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

Agreed - This does look like Salamander... perhaps a little greener.

JC3

I have yet to spent time with the more verdant Salamander, though it just might be another stepping stone on my path to developing a healthy relationship with Green inks.

Looking forward to your time with Salamander. My experience with it went something like, "My, this is green!" and then, the next morning, "My, this is brown!" and then, that night, "My, this next line I've written is... brown! And that first line is green!" and now I just don't know what to make of the 1.5mL I have left of it. I feel slightly uneasy with this ink, as it seems to be lying to me half the time, and I'm not sure which half that is.

Respect is hard to muster from inks.

Very nicely done. I had an opportunity to try this ink last summer at the DC Pen Supershow and I wondered when it would get more attention. I expect to do a color comparison with Salamander and other similar colors soon.

It is indeed in an unusual spectrum. I guess I should probably clarify my own reviews that my idea of serious writing is for serious personal writing. I don't really engage in handwritten business correspondence since I work remotely.

I saw a mention of MB Jonathan Swift up in your review when talking about getting over your trauma over green inks. This one seems very close to J. Swift (or Swift-dog, cause we're close like that). I keep meaning to break out a comparison whenever I have time, since they're so close in that they're:

both a very similar color

both have similar flow

both named after writers

and both named for writer's connection to green hued vegetation

Hi,

It seems we have a different notion about what is 'serious' writing - I use a lot of Blue to Blue-Black even for personal writing to family & friends. Though other inks are far better suited to telling jokes! :)

So for me to use Green would be for something quite special or at least out of the ordinary, or I could just choose to use it on a whim or out of curiosity or . . .

Bye,

S1

Looking forward to your time with Salamander. My experience with it went something like, "My, this is green!" and then, the next morning, "My, this is brown!" and then, that night, "My, this next line I've written is... brown! And that first line is green!" and now I just don't know what to make of the 1.5mL I have left of it. I feel slightly uneasy with this ink, as it seems to be lying to me half the time, and I'm not sure which half that is.

Respect is hard to muster from inks.

Hi,

That's wonderful!

Some inks do shift about quite a bit - the 'borderline' inks. I think that also challenges our notion of just what is Blue or Brown or Green. I think that with the non-spectral hues, such as Brown, our attempts to have nice tidy categories are in vain.

Also, I think that as dyes suitable for use in FPs are impure, (unlike pigments used in the printing trade), there's going to be a lot of subtle nuance when they're used alone or in combination.

Bye,

S1

Very nicely done. I had an opportunity to try this ink last summer at the DC Pen Supershow and I wondered when it would get more attention. I expect to do a color comparison with Salamander and other similar colors soon.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words!

I very much look forward to your comparison of inks that are of similar hue.

Bye,

S1

Hi all,

We had several Green inks mentioned, so let's see …

Left to Right: Stipula Verde Muschiato, OSWW, Montblanc Jonathan Swift.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/SVM-OSWW-MBJS_zps584a51e5.jpg

Relatively speaking, my description of SVM as 'murky' was incorrect. :rolleyes:

We also have the trove of thirty Green inks contributed by Member Geoduc : Part One https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/215593-30-green-inks-reviewed-part-1-introduction-and-swabs/?p=2261565

Bye,
S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi all,

In response to a PM, a Hi-Res scan from Figure 4 of the Pelikan P99 + B nib on Rhodia is shown below. The original is 60x30mm.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Organics%20Studio%20Walt%20Whitman/INK266_zps8c9c3306.jpg

As expected, OSWW can approach a very dark Green without misbehaving, and have an attractive bit of shading. Malleable or what? :)

Bye,
S1

Edited by Sandy1

I have found it to be an interesting color.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have found it to be an interesting color.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing!

I used this ink for some season's greetings cards.

Bye,

S1

I wonder how similar to a diluted El Lawrence this might be....

Hi,

The IR by Member mhphoto includes a written sample of diluted El Lawrence, so that may [temporarily] satisfy your curiosity.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/233519-noodlers-el-lawrence/

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersElLawrenceShading.jpg

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

The IR by Member mhphoto includes a written sample of diluted El Lawrence, so that may [temporarily] satisfy your curiosity.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/233519-noodlers-el-lawrence/

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersElLawrenceShading.jpg

Bye,

S1

Satisfy?

SATISFY?

SFYTISA?!

In fact, it was that photo that caused my curiosity. Looking at that review, it would appear that, yes, it is a close match, and bullety-proof as well! But without having it under your same scanner's digital eyes, a direct comparison would only be possible under the caveats you so considerately post on each review.

That said, it does look close enough that perhaps my inbound bottle of El Lawrence will placate my urge to add this to my grassy-mossy-dirty-brownish-no-gold-allowed-thank-you stable.

Best,

M

Satisfy?

SATISFY?

SFYTISA?!

In fact, it was that photo that caused my curiosity. Looking at that review, it would appear that, yes, it is a close match, and bullety-proof as well! But without having it under your same scanner's digital eyes, a direct comparison would only be possible under the caveats you so considerately post on each review.

That said, it does look close enough that perhaps my inbound bottle of El Lawrence will placate my urge to add this to my grassy-mossy-dirty-brownish-no-gold-allowed-thank-you stable.

Best,

M

Hi,

I look forward to learning from your experience with NEL.

From my experience, most diluted inks start to have too may problems somewhere around 40% concentration. It seems that while dilution can open-up an ink to reveal some shading, at a certain point the addition of water causes the shading to become less smooth & supple, and tends to 'flicker'. It may have to do with how the ink flows and/or is absorbed by the paper at the nib-to-paper interface.

Bye,

S1