Cross Townsend - Suitability For Stubbing?

mercurius

I've got a Cross Towsnend Medallist with a medium nib that skips a bit to be honest.

Do you think it would make a good medium cursive stub?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• da vinci

• mercurius

• I like mango cheesecake

• ac12

If you like the pen, I do not see why not.

I would also get the nib-meister to take care of the skipping, as that could be an ink flow problem.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I've stubbed one of my unknown pens from a M to a .7 stubb. Quite easy to do, even without fancy equipment. Min tools is a 14 - 20x loupe and some micromesh or at least 3000 grit wet dry silicon carbide paper. Lots of patience, trial and error. Steady and slow is the way to go.

I've done three so far. My hardest one was the Jinhao 159. Nib was cut uneven, tipping was a off centre blob. But I finally got it to a .9mm stub.

I've stubbed one of my unknown pens from a M to a .7 stubb. Quite easy to do, even without fancy equipment. Min tools is a 14 - 20x loupe and some micromesh or at least 3000 grit wet dry silicon carbide paper. Lots of patience, trial and error. Steady and slow is the way to go.

I've done three so far. My hardest one was the Jinhao 159. Nib was cut uneven, tipping was a off centre blob. But I finally got it to a .9mm stub.

Yikes! I wouldn't like this Townsend to be my first attempt at a stub :) I admire your style in attempting it at all.

I dont know if you have the opportunity to nib swop? I have 2 Townsends with Broad nibs and they are both "stubby" without modification.

Hadn't thought of that. Is this something you can do in the classified section of FP? Otherwise I don't have any opportunity (eg don't belong to a pen club, etc.) Any other places you could suggest that do swapsies?

• 1 month later...

You can buy new nibs and they just screw on--the whole black thing holding the nib comes with it.

Steel nibs are about $40, the gold ones $130 or so.

Sorry OP I had missed your quote and thanks Michigan for your reply.

In addition you might get lucky on ebay (I paid less than $130 for one of my Townsends).

Good hunting - do let us know where you end up.

I dont know if you have the opportunity to nib swop? I have 2 Townsends with Broad nibs and they are both "stubby" without modification.

This is what I've been wanting to know.

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

• 1 month later...

I have written about this before on this forum. The Cross steel nibs tens to be rounded and the gold nibs tend to be stubby, factory made. I have Townsends in M and B both steel and gold, and the two Ms and a B in gold are stubby, whereas as the the two Bs and an M in steel are rounded tipped. (Same holds for the Century II.)

To the OP:

I would see the tine alignment, and then get it checked for flow problems, getting it made into a stub or a CI wont cure skipping.

On the other hand, Cross steel nibs have ample blob of metal suited for any conversion.

Lastly, a DIY stubbing is not that difficult a proposition. And you can get a new nib section, as advised above, if you destroy the nib. Steel nibs are approx $40, gold coated may set you back a few $ more (around 7 i think), and 14K are $130, plus shipping. TTBOMK F, M and B are available, An EF has been mentioned, and once i saw a reference of a BB, but never saw either size on the cross site for sale.

Edited by jslallar

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid