Learning Italic

caliken

The only thing that bugs me is your sometimes entry strokes and joins into a's, d's, and g's. I don't like the look, personally, but I'm sure this is partly because Lloyd Reynolds was so firmly opposed to these.

This proves the point that there is no single authority on the subject of joins. Lloyd Reynolds' isn't necessarily the definitive view on the subject - his view has no special validity and is only one view among many. This beautiful example of Italic is from the pen of Tom Gourdie. Note the joins into a, d, and g.

Ken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Gourdie600-1.jpg

Edited by caliken

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• ongnon

• KaB

• caliken

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This proves the point that there is no single authority on the subject of joins. Lloyd Reynolds' isn't necessarily the definitive view on the subject - his view has no special validity and is only one view among many.

Ken - My point was not that Reynolds spoke with more authority than anyone else, but only that I first studied italic writing from his books, and so this has impacted my own perception and taste. I reported my personal reaction, not a judgement.

Anyway, here's what I have been up to:

DMS+to+FPN12-11-13.jpeg

Can't seem to keep a consistent angle, letter size is a bit wonky too! Good practice though. Would welcome any feedback!

http://i.imgur.com/FKSqTuu.jpg

Nice work, David, and a definite improvement in slope consistency.

Long ago, before I had access to my own printer, I drew up a practice, master grid in black ink with a 0.5 pen with baselines, waistlines and slopelines which I drew in reverse. I then had this grid photocopied in bulk onto a fairly lightweight paper (around 80gsm)

When turned over and placed on a white background, it's possible to see all the guidelines with the slope line at the correct 5 degrees angle.

Ken

Edited by caliken

A little example of Formal Italic, slightly condensed.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/ohwhat450.jpg

Edited by caliken

Dear Forum

After lurking around for some time, I'd also like to join in on the training. I started teaching myself italic one week ago, and I'm using Fred Eagers book to do so. I started my quest for a nicer handwriting a few years ago using "Write Now" from Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay. After moving, the book was misplaced. But being a fountain pen user for over 10 years, I feel my handwriting should look at least as good as the pen I'm writing with.

It's truly inspirational to see others making progress and I hope I will be able to keep up and make an occasional post.

The attached picture shows my italic in calligraphy mode, as three days ago. I also have a question someone from here might be able to answer: How do I best write Umlauts (äöü also as capitals ÄÖÜ) in italic? I googled around but couldn't find any examples.

20131216_italic_new_and_umlaut_question.

Thank you for reading and regards

Flavio

Thanks to this thread I bought a manuscript set. I tried to follow the sticky for chancery but several pictures are missing from there. Will need to think of a guidesheet as my slants are all over the place. But I think I need to fix the shapes first.

http://imageshack.com/a/img35/5459/9c1z.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img32/2919/r0ia.jpg

GClef, sorry for your neck. Will rotate my images in future. Promise (kinda)

Good afternoon

I was also busy today, writing five more letters of the daily alphabet and some quotations. I know the slant is not very consistent, but I'm pleased anyway :)

20131219_italic_p44_quotations.jpg

Maybe I'll write some capitals today, before I'll dive into project III (the cursive mode).

Still noone has any suggestions for the Umlaut writing? As my primary language is german they appear in quite a few words. Anyway, I'll keep experimenting.

Kind regards and good practicing to anyone reading or learning

Got a little more practice in this morning before heading to work. I feel that it's more consistent than it was last night.

I'm impressed with your ability. These examples show a very good control of the nib angle and you maintain a good slant throughout. If anything, your letters have a tendency to be a bit square, other than that, great work :thumbup:

Looking forward to the next sheet.

S.

Good afternoon

I was also busy today, writing five more letters of the daily alphabet and some quotations. I know the slant is not very consistent, but I'm pleased anyway :)

>>> pic removed <<<

Maybe I'll write some capitals today, before I'll dive into project III (the cursive mode).

Still noone has any suggestions for the Umlaut writing? As my primary language is german they appear in quite a few words. Anyway, I'll keep experimenting.

Kind regards and good practicing to anyone reading or learning

I would guess that Umlauts would be written the same weight and shape as the dot on the letter 'i'? How does it look when you try it?

Your compositions are nicely spaced. All too often we fill the page too much and its refreshing to see a nicely spaced example from you. I also quite agree with the sentiment expressed in your example :-)

Salman

I'm impressed with your ability. These examples show a very good control of the nib angle and you maintain a good slant throughout. If anything, your letters have a tendency to be a bit square, other than that, great work :thumbup:

Looking forward to the next sheet.

S.

Thanks for the encouragement! Trust me, I'm writing pretty stinkin slow to make sure I get it right.

I did more practice this morning before work but didn't have the time to scan it in. Might be able to do it tomorrow morning. I think I know what you mean by square. I'm not rounding the ends of my downstrokes enough into my hairlines. I can't seem to find the happy medium there. Either they're sharp or they're fat and rounded.

On my "a" form, I watchd Lloyd Reynolds some more and noticed that he pulls the pen forward slightly on the top of his "a" before pushing back and going into the ellipse. I tried that a bit last night and this morning and I seem to get prettier and more consistent shape to my "a"

Thanks for the encouragement! Trust me, I'm writing pretty stinkin slow to make sure I get it right.

I did more practice this morning before work but didn't have the time to scan it in. Might be able to do it tomorrow morning. I think I know what you mean by square. I'm not rounding the ends of my downstrokes enough into my hairlines. I can't seem to find the happy medium there. Either they're sharp or they're fat and rounded.

On my "a" form, I watchd Lloyd Reynolds some more and noticed that he pulls the pen forward slightly on the top of his "a" before pushing back and going into the ellipse. I tried that a bit last night and this morning and I seem to get prettier and more consistent shape to my "a"

By square shapes I meant the ratio of the width of the letters to the height. The script looks very elegant when the width of the letters is about a third less than the height.

S.