Learning Italic

caliken

About children, I like Ralph Waldo Emerson's quote: Children are all foreigners. If you find out the way how to explain, how to connect with a foreigner, you also find out the way how to train your children

post-109805-0-88048300-1406949162_thumb.jpgpost-109805-0-44018500-1406949180_thumb.jpg

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• ongnon

• KaB

• caliken

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Regarding children and Emerson: If you regard children as little adults, they are impossible to understand. But children are not little adults. Children think differently, and, as Piaget demonstrated, their understanding of their world - cause and effect, right and wrong, social relationships and so much more - passes through multiple, distinctive and predictable stages between birth and maturity. Once you do understand this and know the developmental tasks a child must accomplish at each stage in order to move on to the next stage with a firm foundation, his or her behavior becomes entirely sensible, and what the parent needs to do to facilitate this healthy progression becomes much clearer.

Recommended reading: "The Magic Years," by Selma Fraiberg.

And now, back to learning italic.

David

Regarding children and Emerson: If you regard children as little adults, they are impossible to understand. But children are not little adults. Children think differently, and, as Piaget demonstrated, their understanding of their world - cause and effect, right and wrong, social relationships and so much more - passes through multiple, distinctive and predictable stages between birth and maturity. Once you do understand this and know the developmental tasks a child must accomplish at each stage in order to move on to the next stage with a firm foundation, his or her behavior becomes entirely sensible, and what the parent needs to do to facilitate this healthy progression becomes much clearer.

Recommended reading: "The Magic Years," by Selma Fraiberg.

And now, back to learning italic.

David

Thanks David. I think I will have a look at that book.

Thanks David. I think I will have a look at that book.

It is a delightful book - funny as well as informative. Enjoy!

David

14812721124_2d3cd04e26_z.jpg

I love the way you do your w's, ongnon. I'm printing out your alphabet, it's a great exemplar.

Vermillion, thank you. My Italic handwritting still not beautiful, but I want to help you improve your Italic:

1. How to hold the pen is very important, because if you can control it, you can lead it ( not push ) it you can write any thing, any font you want. I show you how to choose the pen

2. You print the attach file, and write on it. When you write it, pay attention to feel the nib, if you feel how to lead the nib, write it down and you never forget it. Please let me know if it fit your 1.5 nib

How to choose the pen. l tell you later.

Have fun

Ongnon ( Baby Bee )Italic 1.5.doc

Now, I think the most important thing is choose the right pen, before you start writting. Lamy pen is good because it has " the ergonomically shaped grip assist natural, relaxed positioning of the fingers. " ( http://www.lamyusa.com/lamy_fountain_L110_abc.php ). If you want to write Italic, you should choose Lamy with 1.9 nib or Pelikan 2.0 nib.

post-109805-0-51911800-1407067548_thumb.jpg

post-109805-0-78009700-1407067603_thumb.jpg

post-109805-0-88835200-1407067775_thumb.jpg

post-109805-0-47865000-1407067628_thumb.jpg

Pelikan pen is my favorite pen, because it has the grip: " With the pen grip, which by now has been practiced over a long period of time, your child will not be able to hold the pen wrong anymore. ". ( http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.Store.displayStore.120867./griffix-fountain-pen )

post-109805-0-51160300-1407067519.jpg

When you write, the most important thing is: Don't move your finger, use your shoulder. If you use Pelikan Grifix, you can't move your finger any more :) .

I both have Lamy Joy and Pelikan Grifix and I like using Pelikan Grifix for practicing.

Pelikan Grifix only has M nib, I thinh it suitable for Cursive.

Writting Italic, I change the nib and now my Pelikan Grifix 2.0 nib, more difficult to write

post-109805-0-81768600-1407067551_thumb.jpg

Ongnon

Thank you again, Ongnon. Your descriptions and the photos are very helpful. I have a 1.9mm nib for my Lamy ABC and will put it in and practise.

I'm waitting your new Italic handwriting

That tree grows new wood each year. Like that apple tree, I try to grow a new little wood each year.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 - 1882)post-109805-0-61542100-1407072347_thumb.jpgpost-109805-0-15720800-1407072373_thumb.jpg

14639016439_71e5d5c7c4.jpg

14639035948_5c311b83d4_z.jpg

Notes: I need to work on the letter s and remembering to straighten my h's.

(P.S. Just to be clear, my son knows I am the tooth fairy.)

Edited by vermillion

After all these beautifull and inspiring examples of 'having learned' italic, my 'learning italic' entry :blush: (one might recognise L.J. Reynolds' book )

14849660093_30cb3e9aae_b.jpg

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

After all these beautifull and inspiring examples of 'having learned' italic, my 'learning italic' entry :blush: (one might recognise L.J. Reynolds' book )

14849660093_30cb3e9aae_b.jpg

A few comments:

First, a big :thumbup: for having the discipline to do the exercises. You will thank yourself in the long run.

Second, I have the impression your workbook ruling is too wide for your nib width. I'd suggest figuring which of the guideline sheets in the back of the book matches your nib best and make yourself some photocopies on FP-friendly paper.

Third, consistent letter slope is a challenge (which is a good example of the pot calling the kettle "black!").

Fourth, work on your i's entrance and exit strokes. There should be a hairline entry and exit with a smooth, parabolic transition. (I know some prescribe pointier, angular transitions. I prefer the gracefulness of Reynolds' italic, but then I would.) :happyberet:

Thanks for sharing what you're up to!

Happy writing!

David