Photo

New Australian Made Fountain Pen Ink At Justwrite

fountain pen ink coloured inks free ink samples australia toucan ink justwrite mixable fountain pen ink mixable ink australian made

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#61 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:59

Just done my first review of the Toucan Bright Blue - fabulous!

http://ecclectitbits...aussie-ink.html

Edited by youstruckgold, 14 January 2014 - 12:00.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

#62 Seele

Seele

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:11

youstruckgold,

I also like the Toucan Bright Blue, and so far it holds well in my fade test against the Royal Blue and Turquoise. But like most Toucan inks it really shines when partnering with a wet pen.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

#63 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2014 - 16:54

Just done my first review of the Toucan Bright Blue - fabulous!

http://ecclectitbits...aussie-ink.html

LOL... I LOVE your review!!!!!... :lol:  :lol:    Please.. keep them coming.. :D

C.

Edit.   Adding this edit to say that they also come in 60ml pouches.  IMHO the perfect size. ;)

Edited by Cyber6, 14 January 2014 - 16:54.

**** KWZI Group Buy 2 - The Sequel... ****

**** Scriptus Toronto - A view from the Ink Sample Table...****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#64 WirlWind

WirlWind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:15

LOL... I LOVE your review!!!!!... :lol:  :lol:    Please.. keep them coming.. :D

C.

Edit.   Adding this edit to say that they also come in 60ml pouches.  IMHO the perfect size. ;)

Agreed.

I have 3x 60ml pouches on the way and I picked up a bunch of aromatherapy jars for like $5 that hold 60ml off ebay. Gonna be perfect for mixing and storing the inks in :D

Gonna be mixing the red with the sienna and trying that out soon as they arrive (hopefully tomorrow, guessing auspost is slow).

Do, or do not. There is no try  - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

#65 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2014 - 13:42

Have now tried both the Toucan Royal Blue and the Bright Blue in wetter pens, and can confirm they lay a brighter, stronger line than I've seen before.  Still not my favourite shades of blue, but in an Ahab (for example) they certainly impress me a lot more.  Thanks to DavidW and youstruckgold for the tip!

Re mixing, I've had one attempt: trying to create a shade similar to Noodler's Apache Sunset - 2 parts Sienna, 2 parts orange, then (because it was still too dark IMO) one part primrose.  Not a bad approximation - Apache Sunset seems to me to not only change shade but also colour / hue depending on the amount of ink laid down, but my combo still shades pretty nicely!  Wish I could provide a scan, but I don't have a flickr or other account, so that may be a little difficult...

#66 WirlWind

WirlWind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:46

So I had a few issues with justwrite and my order (ordered on the 8th, they arrived on the 22nd of Jan) but now I have a pen filled and I've started doing a little mixing. Bear with the me on the cheap paper and poor lighting, my phone's flash turns off before the photo is taken and my main room light is pretty pathetic. As mentioned in the review, it's 2:1 Sienna and Crimson. I was looking to make something that shaded nicely and gave a dried blood style finish and (I think) I really achieved that. Maybe next time I might make it 1:1 to add a little more red, since it looks more Sienna on copy paper. Also, the shading may be hard to see, but it is there. Click on the image and then the magnify button a few times and eventually it will scale up with 4k resolution or so and you will be able to see the letters much clearer.

::EDIT:: It colours much nicer and has much more shading on Rhodia off-white paper, but the page I wrote is too small to really show up nicely in a photo. Will wait for my A4 CF books to arrive.

PHOTO_20140122_1548461.jpg

Edited by WirlWind, 22 January 2014 - 05:10.

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

#67 cedargirl

cedargirl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:40

I've only been able to try the Toucan Bright Green so far. I have it in a Medium and a BB nib and like it both ways.

As the name says - bright!! green plain ... and simple.

I'm not normally a 'green' person, but I'm really liking this. 

Tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes.
Many are possessed by the incurable urge to write.
Juvenal

#68 WirlWind

WirlWind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:19

Just another quick pic from the other mix I tried today (As mentioned, I've named it 'mulberry stain' purple, because of the stains it left on my hand looking very similar.

Different pen, same paper. Justwrite and toucan, you guys have permission to use my pics, but honestly, I'd wait until I have better paper. I will replace the images when I do ;)

PHOTO_20140122_171449.jpg

#69 WirlWind

WirlWind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:51

Ok, so I apparently can't change / edit my old posts for some reason. Guess I took too long.

I just re-did the images on CF 90gsm paper. The purple really darkened up. Looks like a mix between blueberry and mulberry now.

When I get time, I might just do a full review for the Sienna / Crimson / Royal Blue but I'm waiting on a broad nibbed Jinhao pen before I try that. Reason being that it should be significantly easier to swap colours out with a c&c pen and the broad should show off the shading better.

PHOTO_20140124_124459.jpg

#70 Albinoni

Albinoni

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:51

Is Australia soo F poor that we cannot afford to make nice bottles for a fountain pen ink I'm quite discust at this, serving ink in a hospital grade bag what a joke if you ask me.

#71 Bananabender

Bananabender

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:43

Is Australia soo F poor that we cannot afford to make nice bottles for a fountain pen ink I'm quite discust at this, serving ink in a hospital grade bag what a joke if you ask me.

Perhaps that is a little bit harsh when you compare the prices of bottled ink to what Just Write is offering.
60 ml bag for $5Aust. Looking at ebay Parker $11 for 57 ml. Personally I think it is a bit of smart marketing and economics as it will give them the opportunity to compete with the big manufacturers.
I have as yet not tried the product but most surely will

#72 Llewellyn

Llewellyn

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:08

Pretty harsh indeed. I think it's a great idea. Easy to pack and send, keeps costs down - and you can't complain about the prices. You can refill old bottles instead of potentially sending them to landfill. Win win all round I say.

And the inks are great

Edited by Llewellyn, 31 January 2014 - 05:09.

#73 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:15

No problem with the pouches here either - i think they're a fun idea.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

#74 cedargirl

cedargirl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:37

I agree that the pouches are novel - I like them. And I like the price. And the ink of course!

Juvenal

#75 WirlWind

WirlWind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:36

http://www.ebay.com....73b280fe&_uhb=1

If you don't have any spare ink jars lying around, these will do you fine. Probably still works out cheap even with these lol.

#76 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:27

I have to admit to being a little surprised at this reaction.  This was a great cost-saving measure - both in terms of packaging and postage - and the hospital grade bags seem pretty durable, so no need to transfer them into bottles for storage unless you want to.  You could, of course, ask the supplier to put them in bottles for you and double the price I suppose... 

I've been using these inks now for a couple of months (since early December?) - mostly the red (crimson), green, orange and sienna and, more recently, the 'Bright Blue', though I bought samples of the lot - and I've been really impressed with how well they write.  They're not even remotely waterfast - which means I can't use them extensively for work purposes (I have a selection of Noodler's 'bulletproof' and 'semi-bulletproof' inks for that!) - but they continue to flow well, they look great on a crisp white paper, and on Rhodia they shade pretty nicely to boot.  

I'd love to put a couple of reviews up, but don't have an account I can post the pictures too (nor the inclination to set one up - not at the moment, anyway!).  I'd also love to see the JustWrite crew make these inks available to an international market - but I understand that at this stage that doesn't suit their business model...

#77 Drone

Drone

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:33

I don't think the bottles add all that much to the cost. Noodler's ink is 3 ounces (88ml) for $11-12 USD. It would be nice to have options; bottle or bag. Of course it would be nice to be able to buy this ink outside Austalia too, but it seems the Australian Government is making that difficult if not impossible. Sigh...

Edited by Drone, 01 February 2014 - 10:33.

#78 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2014 - 17:44

I don't think the bottles add all that much to the cost. Noodler's ink is 3 ounces (88ml) for $11-12 USD. It would be nice to have options; bottle or bag. Of course it would be nice to be able to buy this ink outside Austalia too, but it seems the Australian Government is making that difficult if not impossible. Sigh...

I thought it was just expensive...though when I responded with a PM and said I would be interested in finding out the cost I never got a reply. I have had ink shipped to me by Australian FPNers and there was no problem doing that, though that was a private individual vs. a corporate entity, maybe that is the problem? I still want 60ml bags of the whole set and hope they eventually become available here in the US...or perhaps I will have to pick up a set on my or a friends next visit...

This post contains 100% recycled electrons
Posted Image

#79 Seele

Seele

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2014 - 23:21

Glass bottles might not add much to the cost of the inks as sold, but would add greatly to the cost of shipping. If these inks are only sold through just one B&M store across the counter, they could use Lalique bottles if you so wish.

#80 WirlWind

WirlWind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:06

I thought it was just expensive...though when I responded with a PM and said I would be interested in finding out the cost I never got a reply. I have had ink shipped to me by Australian FPNers and there was no problem doing that, though that was a private individual vs. a corporate entity, maybe that is the problem? I still want 60ml bags of the whole set and hope they eventually become available here in the US...or perhaps I will have to pick up a set on my or a friends next visit...

I've noticed that shipping to / from the US as an everyday person is usually far cheaper than what's offered from say goulet or another big company.

For example, I had an ahab shipped from the US and it set me back like $5 postage. To get a safari from the US from goulet, the cheapest option was $20.

#81 cedargirl

cedargirl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:04

I believe the Australia Post packaging requirements for oversees shipments is at least one of the issues, maybe insurance cost is another. Add that to the international freight costs and a cheap container of ink becomes mighty expensive.

Juvenal

#82 Drone

Drone

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:58

In Jakarta where I'm based now it is a veritable ink desert. So I'm pretty familiar with shipping ink internationally.

The likes of a parcel pack or small box (EMS, DHL, FedEx, even most Postal systems offer them) have a fixed size and maximum allowable weight (or an equivalent volumetric weight if you use your own packaging) - which can usually accommodate a fairly generous amount of ink in a single shipment for a FIXED COST.

The weight of the bottles does come into play but as there is a fixed maximum weight, as long as you don't hit the threshold you're golden. Plus, with a little bit of care in packing the bottles ensure the ink arrives intact.

As for the ink bags, I'm more concerned. The problem comes from how Customs opens packages for inspection. In Jakarta I regularly get packages with deep box-cutter slashes that take place in customs. Marking the box Fragile at the origin does help most times though, but not every time.

Where required, International shipping and insurance costs DO add a significant amount to the ink purchase, but that's the case for ANY ink shipment - With other words; whether I buy the ink from the U.S., Malaysia, or (hopefully) Australia, the high international shipping, insurance, import duty, & tax costs exist for each shipment. Only how far the point of origin is affects the shipping cost. For the most part, all the other costs are the same.

Some examples:

A box that can hold six or eight bottles of ink costs about $30-$35 USD to ship from my freight forwarder in Florida to Jakarta, usually via DHL Express. The shipment takes three or four days. The same sort of thing (DHL or FedEx) from Malaysia runs about $11 USD per box (from PenGallery for example). I would imagine that unless  something is seriously amiss, The cost to ship from Australia to Jakarta would be somewhere in between those two examples.

So, as I stated in the last paragraph, unless there's something special (i.e., wrong) about international shipments coming from Australia, I would think having a international shipping option can only enhance your new Australian ink business.

We use Courier Services for most International shipments in my business (not pens and ink). The courier companies make sure dealing with them is a simple low overhead affair. It's all automated online these days. You send them the shipping order from your computer or handheld device and magically someone shows up and picks up your boxes the same day. Payment is online with your bank or by credit card. Record keeping, real-time tracking, etc. is impeccable.

Anyway - that's my experience...

Best Regards, David

#83 Seele

Seele

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:15

Interesting thought: overzealous customs inspector, sharp box cutter, and a half-litre plastics pouch of BSB... ouch. He'd have to endure smurf jokes for weeks.

Edited by Seele, 05 February 2014 - 00:17.

#84 Albinoni

Albinoni

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:39

Pretty harsh indeed. I think it's a great idea. Easy to pack and send, keeps costs down - and you can't complain about the prices. You can refill old bottles instead of potentially sending them to landfill. Win win all round I say.

And the inks are great

OK if it is harsh I'm sorry and didn't meant to take offense, but I would not feel safe to have a bag of ink in my bag or what ever just in case it splits of breaks and that would be it. And assume if one fills up a old glass bottle of ink with it is the bag resealable.

#85 JustWrite Pen Company

JustWrite Pen Company

Mint

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:41

I have had a lot of enquiries from US FPN members interested in buying Toucan inks so I thought I'd post an update here in case other members were also interested.

I'm currently talking to some US retailers who have expressed an interest in selling Toucan Inks in the US. I think this would be the ideal situation but if it doesn't pan out I will look into alternatives to Australia Post to see if there is some way to ship them to the US at a reasonable cost.

The main problem is the cost of postage from Australia to the US.

For example, using Registered Mail (Signature on delivery but no tracking) or Pack and Track (Online tracking but no signature on delivery):

14 x 30ml ink pack: $33.95
14 x 60ml ink pack: $48.55

I've actually packed up the ink packs and taken them to the Post Office to confirm these rates were correct.

Part of the reason it's so high is Australia Post's packaging requirements for liquids:

The packaging for liquids that are non-dangerous goods must comprise:
* a leak-proof primary container made of glass, metal, plastic or similar material
* a strong outer box made of metal, wood, strong plastic or strong corrugated cardboard with a lid that cannot easily work loose
* an absorbent material, such as cotton wool, to be placed between the primary container and the outer box and of sufficient quantity to absorb all liquid if the primary container fails.

Quoted from Australia Post's Dangerous and Prohibited Goods and Packaging Post Guide.

We stopped selling overseas about a year ago because of the high postage costs and also because we simply cannot compete with US based websites on product prices.

I will make another post when I have some definite news about a US retailer.

Kevin Watson
JustWrite Pen Company, Australia

#86 Drone

Drone

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:03

"Part of the reason it's so high is Australia Post's packaging requirements for liquids:"

Sigh... You might be mistaken for trying to send some deadly nefarious substance. This is Big Government acting solely for the sake of Big Government.

#87 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 18:07

Hmm.... So what if we did another group buy. Say 50 sets of the 14 30 ml packages?

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

If you want to know about my ever changing Avatar, check out this thread.

Borrow a TWSBI?  

Borrow an Estie?

#88 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 18:20

Hmm.... So what if we did another group buy. Say 50 sets of the 14 30 ml packages?

Amberlea.. do tell me when you get your sample set.   I ship it last Friday.. from New Hampshire.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#89 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 20:01

Yes it arrived. I inked up!  Thank you!  I had forgotten about it coming. The orange died along the way, but another nice FPNer sent me some.  THANK YOU!  I will review away.

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

If you want to know about my ever changing Avatar, check out this thread.

Borrow a TWSBI?  

Borrow an Estie?

#90 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 22:38

Yes it arrived. I inked up!  Thank you!  I had forgotten about it coming. The orange died along the way, but another nice FPNer sent me some.  THANK YOU!  I will review away.

Damn... and I even use silicon tape... :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fountain pen ink, coloured inks, free ink samples, australia, toucan ink, justwrite, mixable fountain pen ink, mixable ink, australian made