Why Is My New Parker Sonnet Skipping So Much ? :(

sloshjegs

I cured the problem on mine by grinding away the Baby Bottom it had. Made the pen less smooth, but at least it writes all the time on all the paper I have.

I am sorry to report that the problems I had with mine make me feel that a £3.74 (US$6) Kaigelu 356 is the better pen if you like medium nibs. Same shape, same size, same weight, same balance point, just as well made. Only difference: It has a nib that works. ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kaigelu-kangaroo-356-Fountain-Pen-Without-Box-/231074751953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cd20e5d1 )

Regards,

Richard.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• sloshjegs

• Mike 59

• kwaite

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I use daily, the 'Frontier', which is very similar to the 'Sonnet', and trial and error has proved that the old 'Penman' cartridge gives no problems whatever. It writes from totally full to completely empty without fail.

I tend to use Quink black from a bottle to refill the cartridge, although WM Florida Blue/Serenite is fine also.

( I had a thought about making a small hole with a needle right at the top of a cartridge, to let air pressure equalize, just to prove the point, but not practical to actually use it that way, but I think it would be worth trying, and costs only the price of an empty cartridge.)

I cured the problem on mine by grinding away the Baby Bottom it had. Made the pen less smooth, but at least it writes all the time on all the paper I have.

I am sorry to report that the problems I had with mine make me feel that a £3.74 (US$6) Kaigelu 356 is the better pen if you like medium nibs. Same shape, same size, same weight, same balance point, just as well made. Only difference: It has a nib that works. ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kaigelu-kangaroo-356-Fountain-Pen-Without-Box-/231074751953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cd20e5d1 )

Regards,

Richard.

After reading your posts about your experiences with the Kaigelu I bought two blue ones. You are right. The Kaigelu is a more reliable pen than most Sonnets.

I just plucked one of the Kaigelu 356s from the pen cup and wrote a line with it. Started perfectly after a few days inactivity. The two pens cost me a little over twelve dollars shipped from China. The Kaigelus work like a good pen is expected to.

I have a few Sonnets that will do this. It's unfortunate that they all don't perform as well as an inexpensive Chinese look-alike.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

My Sonnet skipped like a little girl at recess when I first got it. After I figured out how to disassemble it I gave it a good cleaning it works like a charm.

Please call me Nathan. It is a pleasure to meet you.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

If the only issue is skipping, and it's doing it with flushed out converters and carts, I'd lean towards a baby bottom as I've heard of that before with Sonnets. *If and only if* the pen Was Also Not a hard starter, I'd have a pro deal with the baby bottom. That's a cheap fix and a pro would keep the stock line width and maybe tweak the flow while they are there.

IF the Sonnet is also a hard starter in addition to skipping, in my book, it's toast. (Assuming there's been a thorough clean out done.)

The hard starting is indicative of the possible cracked inner cap issue from the factory. The only correct fix for that is a new cap.

(Yes, some people have sealed the cap with wax but I'M not having any upper shelf pen with any stone age band-aid to make it work. My money is where my fingers are here. <Or something like that> this exact scenario is EXACTLY why my own Sonnet of Satan sits unrepaired in a pen case.)

There.

Don't ever let it be said that I don't try and balance my Sonnet stone throwing out with helpful info., ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Since hard starting is the major issue I have with Sonnets, the cap is likely the issue. Going through the pens I have found some that start hard and some that do not. The ones that start hard also have other issues like skipping. I don't think I would put wax in the cap, but I might try something else. If I take a few of these caps and put them under the tap, water pours right through. I don't see this on caps of good pens. Given the cost of these pens, even used, I think Parker should undertake a program of replacing these caps for all present owners. Failing this, I don't think I will ever buy another new Parker pen, and I will try to forgo other Newell-Rubbermaid products as well. After botching the Sonnet and stiffing the buyers, I don't think they deserve to be patronized.

I have several Sonnets that are totally good. If you like the general Sonnet look there are the Kaigelu 356 and the Sheaffer Prelude. Both excellent pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got a Sonnet, steel with gold trim and a Medium nib, off eBay, £18 and never even been unpacked! I gave it a flush, filled it with ink (Lamy), and it writes beautifully if a little broader than I like. It also starts first time even after sitting for a day upright (I know it's not long, but I haven't had it long!). It feels well-made and put together, it sits well in the hand and I have to say I'm impressed and I can't see why there are all the anti-Sonnet comments around. My only quibble is that the nib is marked medium but it's more like a broad (abroad? It's French).

I also got a couple of cheap Chinese pens, for fun, a couple of weeks ago, richardandtracey and pajaro: a Kaigelu 356 and it is a lovely, smooth, reliable writer, very impressive for £5.41, and a Hero 725, £9.54 with a 18k gold nib, a constant line and nice feedback. Both write immediately after a 24-hour lie around, both look good and feel good quality for the money (the Sonnet does feel better finished, to be fair, but it's several times the price of both Chines pens together).

I hear what you are saying, owend, and I am continually evaluating the Sonnets I have. On balance I think if you have or just use one or two Sonnets, and if you use them every day, they continue to write and start OK. It seems to be that if I don't use one of the Sonnets for a day that it needs a dip into water or ink to get it going. So, maybe they aren't so bad and I am overreacting.

I took one of the hard starting nib+section+converter assemblies and put it into a Parker Insignia, which accepts Sonnet sections and nibs, and it works better. Insignia was made in the USA. Some people don't like the looks of the Insignia, but I think it's OK.

I have a Sonnet identical to yours, and I put a fine 18K nib in it. It works pretty well.

• 7 months later...

Hi all - i 'm a newbie and just posted today on my frustrations with my Parker Sonnet, 18K tip. I bought the pen after reading many favorable reviews here and elsewhere. It skips quite a bit. Nearly enough to make me give up fountain pens, but not quite. :D. I have flushed it many times and this is not the cure for me. It doesn't matter if I use the converter or the cartridges. I flossed it a little last night due to extreme frustration - helped a little but the problem is still present. As a newbie I am pretty dissapointed that I spent $130.00 for the pen [paid a little more perhaps since it was purchased in the Philippines] and I am totally unhappy with it. My biggest requirement for a pen is that it NOT SKIP ink..... and that's exactly what is happening. This, so far, is my only fountain pen.

I just don't understand why there are so many favorable reviews on this model, and yet lots of people are complaining of the same problem. YES - i expected that a $130.00 pen would work perfectly out of the box...

or at least give me a better experience than a cheap ballpoint. Silly me. I have a very cheap Uniball Jetstream ballpoint - and it NEVER skips! Of course, the writing doesn't look all that great but at least the ink is always there.

So i need to figure out if I will try gently working on the nib myself, or send it back to Parker. I am still willing to keep trying fountain pens, at least for awhile. Did i just get a lemon? Is it a fake Parker nib? My small research says not, but what do i know?! New nibs ain't cheap or I would go and buy a replacement right away.

P.S. the skipping is intermittent, doesn't seem to have any relationship to the amount of ink, can write a couple sentences, then it will skip.

Still searching for that beautiful fountain pen experience.... Would I buy another Parker? At this point probably not.

Hehehe, sorry for the vent!

Kevin

If you think it's fake, send it back to Parker. They would tell you. They might make it work.

Dutchpen here has some Sonnet and Waterman nibs at decent prices.

If you haven't run some mild soap through the pen, a lot of people do this to remove manufacturing oils to cure what you are experiencing.

Exasperated by pens drying out and not writing, I unscrewed the nibs from the sections and cleaned the nib and the inside of the section. I let them dry and reassembled them. At this point they write well.

For the money you paid, you might find a used Montblanc 144 or Pelikan M400 on ebay. I have both of these pens bought on ebay, and they will exceed your expectations. The Montblanc 144 particularly is a perfect pen, and I have used them for up to thirty years. With a 144 in the nib size you prefer, you will need no other pen. Truly I should sell off all the other junk.

Thanks Pajaro, sorry for the vent.. I think I will take the advice. It should still be under warranty - I will call Parker

and get the details regarding sending it back. I have dissasembled and flushed it numerous times, tried flossing although perhaps I didn't do it correctly. I'm not averse to trying a little micro-mesh or other maintenance, but I feel I might as well try to avail myself of the warranty first, if possible.

Along these lines I just watched a video where the guy bought a TWSBI new from the box and used micro-mesh and spread the tines even. Only took him a few minutes to get a satisfactory result. Well at least in video time, hahaha. But the point I am learning is that this might be necessary I guess even on brand new pens.

Live and learn.

Thanks Pajaro, sorry for the vent.. I think I will take the advice. It should still be under warranty - I will call Parker

and get the details regarding sending it back. I have dissasembled and flushed it numerous times, tried flossing although perhaps I didn't do it correctly. I'm not averse to trying a little micro-mesh or other maintenance, but I feel I might as well try to avail myself of the warranty first, if possible.

Along these lines I just watched a video where the guy bought a TWSBI new from the box and used micro-mesh and spread the tines even. Only took him a few minutes to get a satisfactory result. Well at least in video time, hahaha. But the point I am learning is that this might be necessary I guess even on brand new pens.

Live and learn.

All that shouldn't be necessary on new pens. Back in the 70s and 80s new pens worked.

Good luck with Parker. I hope they fix it.

All Sonnets have this problem when first filled.

Try leaving it inked and capped with the nib down overnight.

With my first Sonnet, I left it a week or so and was surprised when it started writing perfectly. For some reason they take ages to get the ink to saturate the feed.

Not to cause any trouble but I never had any problems with my Sonnets, and my Mother has never had any problems with the Sonnet that I gave to her.

Following the comments regarding problems with Sonnets skipping I decided to try out a Sonnet that I bought back in 2011. It is a Laque Red with 18k nib and was bought for spares as it had no nib section (it looks as though it has never been used, probably the nib section was removed for another pen). I obtained a new section and it has sat in my cupboard ever since.

I filled the pen with Herbin Lierre Sauvage (green) and tried it out. No matter what I did (including washing it out) it skipped all the time. In desperation I emptied it, washed it thoroughly and filled it with Quink Blue. Perfect. It writes every time, no skipping, no drying out. The only problem is Quink Blue is not my favourite colour, but you can't have everything.

So now I have another excellent pen but it won't replace my Parker 75.

Peter

Some pens, when inked after being dry, take time for ink to penetrate the feed. I have a Montblanc 146 that takes a long time after being inked to write without skipping. I thnik the MB feed is bad. It could be the same with some Sonnets. Replacing the MB feed is expensive, so I don't bother with the 146, but these Sonnets should go back to Parker. You can get some relatively inexpensive nib units with a feed from Dutchpen here, while they last. It's worth checking out if a reluctant Sonnet is out of warranty.

All Sonnets have this problem when first filled.

Try leaving it inked and capped with the nib down overnight.

With my first Sonnet, I left it a week or so and was surprised when it started writing perfectly. For some reason they take ages to get the ink to saturate the feed.

Although probably not all Sonnets do this, I agree with you.

It happened to my Sonnet too.

-William S. Park

EDIT: Darn grammar. Grammar helps us understanding English, but it sometimes annoy me.

Edited by william2001

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

This is my Sonnet with a cheap Frontier-nib

fpn_1405315629__img_3361_passig_gemacht.

It writes wonderful - no more trouble with skipping and so :)

(Sorry for the bad photo, I've no macro-lense)

After filling and wiping the nib, try drop 1 drop of ink back to the bottle to keep the feed wet. Let me know if that helps...

Don't own a Sonnet, but do have a Frontier, which is very similar, I believe. (Post #38 would seem to prove it.)

Bought it new in 2008, it did write a drier line than I expected, but then would skip, especially on upstrokes.

It was improving with use, but only when I took it right apart, gave the feed a really good clean with dish washing up liquid,using an old toothbrush, and same with the nib, did it write how I thought it should.

Choice of inks is important too, I found that bottled Quink black is fine, and also Watermans 'Intense black' and 'Serenity' blue are also fine, no problems whatever.

The design of the Frontier feed and I assume the Sonnet too, is of a very long, twin ink channel, with more fins in the collector that is usual in many other pens that I've seen.

It has to improve the ink flow if the 37 spaces between the fins are given a good clean out and given the chance to 'take' to the ink.

I know I paid £8 new for my Frontier, seems a lot of pen for the money. A good design, mine has probably written more than any other pen I have.

Edited by Mike 59