jetsam

Sheaffer pens have turned out to be my most dependable and interesting pens and I was wondering if there were any launched in the year of my birth, 1951, so I can say 'This pen is as old as I am.'

Has anyone else done this?

I'm looking for ways to help me personalize a pen. (and I can't afford a $1951 pen and haven't found one for $195.10 or $19.51 yet, or even $1951 for that matter :))

Edited by jetsam

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jetsam

• Happy Harry

• jar

• GTOZack

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have two kinda close chances. The Sheaffer Triumph Touchdown pens were last made in 1950 IIRC and so likely sold in 1951 and the Sheaffer Snorkel was first made in 1951 but likely not sold until 1952.

You have two kinda close chances. The Sheaffer Triumph Touchdown pens were last made in 1950 IIRC and so likely sold in 1951 and the Sheaffer Snorkel was first made in 1951 but likely not sold until 1952.

*Made* in 1951 is even better than first *sold* in 1951, and I don't even have a Snorkel yet. (besides the one on my face)

That was lucky. Thanks jar.

*Made* in 1951 is even better than first *sold* in 1951, and I don't even have a Snorkel yet. (besides the one on my face)

That was lucky. Thanks jar.

Look for the fat touch down model, they are very dependable and reliable writers

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

First year snorkels are subtly but visibly different from later models. They have a thinner smooth ring at the nib, and many have a 14k snorkel tube. In the picture, the burgundy model is a first-year.

fpn_1383410211__cam00054.jpg

Sorry, not sure what you mean.

The distance between the end of the knurling on the section and the nib itself is slightly less on early Snorkels.

BUT.. there are probably a handful of folk who would notice the difference so I suggest not worrying about it.

check a PFM out, they were made in 1949 through 1960s They are quite handsome pen

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

double post haha

Edited by GTOZack

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

The model your looking for is the TM TD which ran '51 till Oct/Nov '52. I doubt Snorkel production began in '51 with anything other than prototypes and the first model referred to above ( with gold snorkel tube) was available maybe 3 or 4 months. The best place to find out about the TM TD is the Sheaffer forum on the Fountain Pen Board, there's a few there with a good knowledge of that model. I might add the PFM didn't begin in 1949 but closer to 1959.

Can I get a confirmation that these are the pen names guaranteed to be the closest to 1951 production, including the open nib admiral and craftsman? (see 1951 advertisement poster)

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/td_tm.htm

Warning, warning Will Robinson.

Sheaffer used those names for pens over an extended period so you can't go by model names such as Crest or Sentinel or Craftsman or Admiral . BUT the TM (Thin Model) pens were only made for three years IIRC. 1950-1952.

BUT again, the Crest in Harry's link looks like a wide body Triumph Touchdown Crest would likely be from 1949 in a later TM case so you can't go by packaging either.

check a PFM out, they were made in 1949 through 1960s They are quite handsome pen

PFM was introduced in 1959.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

BUT the TM (Thin Model) pens were only made for three years IIRC. 1950-1952.

BUT again, the Crest in Harry's link looks like a wide body Triumph Touchdown Crest would likely be from 1949 in a later TM case so you can't go by packaging either.

You may well be correct, the packaging is incorrect. They are , at times, difficult to tell apart. The TM was made available for less than 2 yrs, from early '51 to Oct. or Nov. '52 when the Snorkel was introduced although there is one line of thought that one model ( in Snorkel colors ) ran along side the new model for a short period (?). I'll have to find a photo that is definitely "correct" !!

Can I get a confirmation that these are the pen names guaranteed to be the closest to 1951 production, including the open nib admiral and craftsman? (see 1951 advertisement poster)

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/td_tm.htm

Yes, the Craftsman and Admiral TDs are generally not considered part of the TM TD line but those models in TD form will always come from that '51/'52 period as earlier models where not TDs and the line ended with this incarnation. The name lived on though in a lower line until the early '60's. The best guide on the net is this one .

Harry, your penhero link (most enjoyable) narrowed me down to a TM Touchdown without snorkel (intro.1952), and ideally, a late Sovereign TM Touchdown with steel cap and white dot with Feathertouch nib (only produced in 1951 ).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GORGEOUS-SHEAFFER-SOVEREIGN-TOUCHDOWN-TM-14K-F-NIB-BURGUNDY-/190924462141

Too high for me.

Unfortunately, I was born just before the snorkels but still in time for the conical nibs.

Harry, your penhero link (most enjoyable) narrowed me down to a TM Touchdown without snorkel (intro.1952), and ideally, a late Sovereign TM Touchdown with steel cap and white dot with Feathertouch nib (only produced in 1951 ).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GORGEOUS-SHEAFFER-SOVEREIGN-TOUCHDOWN-TM-14K-F-NIB-BURGUNDY-/190924462141

Too high for me.

Unfortunately, I was born just before the snorkels but still in time for the conical nibs.

Unfortunately Penhero had a typo error there, he means 1952 not '51. I can say with some degree of confidence that's the one model that's not from 1951, it may even have run into '53 ( here's one that's a lot cheaper). In truth it will be near impossible to get a pen that without doubt comes from '51 because it spanned a couple years without changing, you may find one with a purchase receipt with date otherwise you'll have to settle for "as close as it gets".

• 3 weeks later...

It's a TM TD but a mix of pens and possibly from '51. The cap is from a base model Sovereign which has an open nib ( these vary from the similar Snorkel caps in that the clip does not have "Sheaffer" on it ) , the plastic cap that goes with this pen would have a wider band and a white dot ( all Triumph nib TMs carry the WD ). From a user point it makes no difference and for a restored pen the price is reasonable.

Edited by Happy Harry