#1 thompenshop

thompenshop

Mint

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:43

An interesting, complex design built by college students in the 1920's. A friend of mine purchased the rights to this pen and ask me to turn a few proto-type replicas (sample pictures below) which I did. I used my limited skills at that time and would do things a bit differently now. I have trouble understanding just how technology back then allowed the skilled individual to complete such feats they were able to accomplish. The little rolling wheel at the top of these pens is complicated to say the least. My guess is that it was a screw machine application.

Chance a glance and comment if you wish.

Chris Thompson

Thompson Pens

Attached Images

• Pens868.JPG
  • Pens870.JPG
  • Pens872.JPG
  • 197.jpg

#2 antirealist

antirealist

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2013 - 13:20

Fascinating and gorgeous! Is there a little ink  pad under the security wheel, or does it just cut the paper?

#3 thompenshop

thompenshop

Mint

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2013 - 13:56

Fascinating and gorgeous! Is there a little ink  pad under the security wheel, or does it just cut the paper?

There is a small ink pad, yes

#4 GTOZack

GTOZack

ah that Deaf guy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2013 - 22:10

its 'make your own linings' if you had blank paper

i think???  i am interested in this screw contraption though 

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort.  B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

#5 dgturner

dgturner

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 00:25

Very interesting. The ebonite ripple pen is very nice looking.

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

#6 bobaroo

bobaroo

My dog has a sock on its nose, and is very happy about it.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:41

That's a beautiful pen.

How things have come full circle, now in our identity theft riddled days and 'id protection' stampers and the like, this has even more potential.

Great work, thanks for sharing.

Offering Japanese and Chinese pens, Diamine Inks, FPR Flex Nibs, and Ink Exchange Vial Kits in the UK.
Free UK delivery over £15.
Click for Pen Boy

#7 dasmarians

dasmarians

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2014 - 19:37

An interesting, complex design built by college students in the 1920's. A friend of mine purchased the rights to this pen and ask me to turn a few proto-type replicas (sample pictures below) which I did. I used my limited skills at that time and would do things a bit differently now. I have trouble understanding just how technology back then allowed the skilled individual to complete such feats they were able to accomplish. The little rolling wheel at the top of these pens is complicated to say the least. My guess is that it was a screw machine application.

Chance a glance and comment if you wish.

Chris Thompson

Thompson Pens

I see this kind of screws in other pen and the function of this is to rollover the words you write (in checks or signs) was a way to keep secure the documents (falsification proof). you have a incredible skills to do this gadget!

best regards

#8 framebaer

framebaer

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2014 - 20:34

Wow Chris, amazing reproduction. Did you fabricate the clip? It's perfect to the original design!

Do you have any for sale?

I own 5-6 original vintage Securities. I don't believe they had an ink pad, the rollers were just hooped up with red marking paste.

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra. Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

#9 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2014 - 13:46

Very cool!!!