Making A Pen Case

my63

These are my final pictures of this Red ten pen case

14174870071_cf7bce51a8_c.jpgIMG_7344_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Locked in the open position to show off your pens that is Tia our foster dog in the background

13991542107_4ef489b49b_c.jpgIMG_7342_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Case closed

14155002426_753ec8e2f4_c.jpgIMG_7339_1 by my0771, on Flickr

A final check by quality control AKA Millie

14198295523_2e5ac7aebf_c.jpgIMG_7341_1 by my0771, on Flickr

It should be on its by the end of the week

Thanks

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• kiavonne

• Tinjapan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both beautiful projects!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thank you for posting so many projects here, they've inspired me to start making my own cases and things (I'm not being nearly as fancy as you though, just using up craft supplies lying around the house). In case anyone is interested, those plastic beads that are designed to be melted together by a clothes iron work pretty well for making solid plastic parts, the trick is to melt oneside together, take the plastic off the melting frame while it's still warmish, flip it onto some wax paper and melt the other side until that side is solid also (following the instructions about keeping wax paper between the plastic and the iron, of course), you get a sheet of solid plastic in whatever pattern you put the beads down in. I've been stress testing this plastic (made a key chain adornment) and so far it's held up really, really well so now I'm making pen case parts with it, the plastic is a bit flexible but once the beads are solidly melted together the parts seem quite sturdy. I haven't tested how a structure made from them holds up to lots of pressure but I don't think there would be many problems, and the key chain fob I made is in perfect condition despite being tossed around and sat on for months.

If you want to make a custom plastic part but don't want to get a 3D printer or mess with industrial plastics and don't mind the colors these melting plastic beads are a pretty good bargain (I'm definitely going to cover them up with something before taking the case anywhere, the colors were definitely picked with a 5 year old in mind).

Edited by WirsPlm

Sure, as soon as I get the parts made (putting the plastic beads on pegboards to melt them together takes a while)! I may wind up prototyping in cardboard and putting pictures of that up first because I'd hate to melt a part together and then have to toss it and redo.

• 2 weeks later...

A number of people have asked me if I could make a three pen case.

The simple answer is yes however I don't want to make a simple case I want to make one that will protect the precious pens that are carried in it.

I have made a three pen case before as part of the pen and notebook case for Alc3261.

13927083631_5d06a1d12d_z.jpgIMG_7063 by my0771, on Flickr

12159147164_1a064fe12b_z.jpgIMG_6438_1 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see there are three individual Kydex tubes wrapped in leather which is glued and sewn in place, the interior could easily be lined in suede rather than leather.

I am interested to know what makes a case really good if anyone has any ideas or opinions I would like to hear them.

Thanks

Michael

A number of people have asked me if I could make a three pen case.

The simple answer is yes however I don't want to make a simple case I want to make one that will protect the precious pens that are carried in it.

I have made a three pen case before as part of the pen and notebook case for Alc3261.

13927083631_5d06a1d12d_z.jpgIMG_7063 by my0771, on Flickr

12159147164_1a064fe12b_z.jpgIMG_6438_1 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see there are three individual Kydex tubes wrapped in leather which is glued and sewn in place, the interior could easily be lined in suede rather than leather.

I am interested to know what makes a case really good if anyone has any ideas or opinions I would like to hear them.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

Your work looks great,for me I would like a case that is made with a soft leather, and would be happy with full separators of some kind between the pens rather than tubes.

I also really like the franklin Christopher penvelopes, but one that held four would be great, I also articulately like patterned or coloured leather.

Keep up the great work!

www.thepenandinkwell.com @ inkwellpens

Am I right in thinking you would prefer the outside shape to be similar to the FC cases but still to have some dividers inside.

I don't know what leather FC use on their cases but they are selling their single case for less than it costs me to buy the materials to make a single case.

When you say soft leather do you mean a soft case ? Or a hard case with a soft leather cover?

Using the FC type design I could use the red and purple embossed leather that I have used for midori style notebook covers

14229332226_792ba610b4_o.jpg

IMG_7469 by my0771, on Flickr

It is not strong enough to be used on its own but will work when attached to a thicker piece of leather as I did for the notebooks.

I think I need to make a model

Thanks for the help

Michael

This material is beautiful, or a coloured plain leather would be great. The FC models are a little too conservative for my taste, but I like the design and idea.

6 is too many 4 would be good. I believe it is a leather outer case with slots inside. I like the fact that you have the outer leather case but can see the pen slots when you open it.

Ok here is my quick cardboard template

14082427397_f92b751482_z.jpgIMG_7494 by my0771, on Flickr

Here is the purple leather

14265673751_43fdc55e69_z.jpgIMG_7495 by my0771, on Flickr

The black was meant to designate kydex covered in suede or leather purple with turquoise suede sounds like an unusual match to me.

thanks

Michael

What is kydex? I like the colour combination.

Kydex is a very strong and light thermo plastic used in aeroplane interiors. It can be moulded when hot then I wrap it in leather to make a very strong pen case.

Hope that helps

Michael

I had a minor setback yesterday when my hot air gun went pop just as I had started forming the kydex for the 2,3,or 4 pen case

14302780221_083649035b_z.jpgIMG_7526_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Once I was set up for one I made 6 or 7 tubes

14306131735_18d21b7db1_z.jpgIMG_7533_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I started with three tubes

14328217823_64cb0acaff_z.jpgIMG_7543 by my0771, on Flickr

I have fitted suede into the inside of the three tubes connecting them together, I will trim off all of the excess and cut back the top to allow the outside suede to fold over to form a neat edge.

Thanks for looking

Michael

This morning I have finished the insert to hold three pens

14316447612_efb9aab737_z.jpgIMG_7564 by my0771, on Flickr

I have made a mock up of the outer shell I am not very happy with it but it shows the idea.

14131655519_4a2ef350f8_z.jpgIMG_7568 by my0771, on Flickr

My Delta's fit ok I need to be careful when sewing it to the back piece that it does not get too tight.

Thanks

Michael

This morning I have finished the insert to hold three pens

14316447612_efb9aab737_z.jpgIMG_7564 by my0771, on Flickr

I have made a mock up of the outer shell I am not very happy with it but it shows the idea.

14131655519_4a2ef350f8_z.jpgIMG_7568 by my0771, on Flickr

My Delta's fit ok I need to be careful when sewing it to the back piece that it does not get too tight.

Thanks

Michael

That colour is really nice!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

The next thing to decide is what the outer shell should look like.

I was thinking of a flat piece over the top and same on the bottom then a separate piece sewn around the edges like the black trial piece I showed earlier.

Input would be appreciated if anyone would like to help.

Thanks

Michael

I think the flat pieces as suggested would be good as in the cardboard template. How about having more of the turquoise slots on show than in the mock up. Maybe about enough for an average size clip to go over?