Modern Montblanc's- Weak Piston Lead Screw?

fountainbel

Further to my last post and due to these being close to me I will get a couple and fit them to see how they feel.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• vates

• Pen Nut

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Further to my last post and due to these being close to me I will get a couple and fit them to see how they feel.

There is no non invasive/reversible way to fit these after market spindles... Do it only if you already have a knob with a destroyed spindle, have the tools to nicely centre the 1mm bore on the knob's top and the means to fabricate the HR plug to seal this 1mm hole once you are done. HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

There is no non invasive/reversible way to fit these after market spindles... Do it only if you already have a knob with a destroyed spindle, have the tools to nicely centre the 1mm bore on the knob's top and the means to fabricate the HR plug to seal this 1mm hole once you are done. HTH.

Ah Ha. Thanks for the heads up on this......and there was me thinking it was a drop in replacement :blush:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Hi Frances

Re the Brass ones, If you do decide to put them on sale I will be interested in buying a couple of them off you, PM me when they are available and you have a price for them.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Thank you for this info! I've just purchased a helix rod from CPP (after the abovementioned link). Are there any detailed instructions on the replacement procedures (or should I hink that this thread is more than enough)?

Gottes Mühlen mahlen langsam, mahlen aber trefflich fein

Hi vates

You might find this entire thread interesting:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/221142-d-i-y-repair-on-a-149/?do=findComment&comment=2341904

Drilling the 1mm hole to drive the old spindle out, and thus the C-ring which is holding it in, would require an appropriate jig to align and hold the spindle and knob axial with the drill. I have not done this myself so cannot suggest how it may best be done.

HTH

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

Hi!

Thank you! Yes, I've seen that thread. I will try to avoid drilling though: the rod is broken in half anyway, so I will try my luck with pliers.

I'm going to post a report if I'll achieve something.

Cheers,

Serge

There is risk of damage to the knob, of course. Rather than just using pliers, I think I might try gripping the broken spindle in a drill chuck, with a metal washer slipped over the spindle first. You could then try levering the knob off with two flat-blade screwdrivers operating together. The washer should lessen the likelihood of damage to the knob - however it could still crack from the radial forces exerted by the C-ring as it compresses, or the C-ring groove itself could be damaged. If the spindle breaks again then there is always the drill method. If the knob cracks, well ... that's a different matter. Be careful!

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

I think " BE CAREFUL" echoes the feeling of the members on here. Plastic, whoops precious resin, gives no signs of when its going to split/shatter/crack and if it does the feeling is not a pleasant one. :(

There is risk of damage to the knob, of course. Rather than just using pliers, I think I might try gripping the broken spindle in a drill chuck, with a metal washer slipped over the spindle first. You could then try levering the knob off with two flat-blade screwdrivers operating together. The washer should lessen the likelihood of damage to the knob - however it could still crack from the radial forces exerted by the C-ring as it compresses, or the C-ring groove itself could be damaged. If the spindle breaks again then there is always the drill method. If the knob cracks, well ... that's a different matter. Be careful!

Thank you! All noted! I will proceed with great caution.

Hi all,

Just want to shear my more recent evaluations on the matter.

Being somewhat afraid installation of the reinforced spindle could trigger other parts to break /damage when the piston gets dirty , i've made an excessive blockage test using one of the reinforced (non flattened) Delrin spindles I've started to use.

Turned the piston completely down till blockage and kept turning - forcing! - the filler knob further till it finally came off the barrel.

As you can see on the attached picture the spindle did not shear, nor the axial engagement notch on the spindle top broke off .

Instead he spindle radially deformed , but no harm at all was done to the nut bushing nor the filling knob.

When doing the same test with the original flattened Montblanc spindle, the spindle will initially deform also, but - given its reduced section and its material- it will alternatively shear-off, or the engagement notch on the spindle top will shear off.

I've experienced this already a few times when moving a stubborn piston, and I'm sure some of you had already the same experience.

Then I did the same test using the reinforced (non flattened) spindle made in the though Ketron Peek.

Using maximum torque force I could generate with my hands i could not get the filling knob off, the spindle is very stiff and did not allow any torsion /deformation, and. again... no harm to the other parts was done

This clearly shows there are no risks involved when installing the reinforced Ketron-Peek spindle, i'm completely confident after this "destructive" test !

Benefits are obvious: no risks for broken/sheared spindles, nor sheared engagement notches off the spindle top...... even when the piston starts to move difficultly.

Note the initial shown brass lead screw alternative will do perfectly equally, only drawback being the pen becomes more 'top heavy"…..

Logically maintenance and regular rinsing of the piston remains recommended !

Francis

Now thats what I call a test !

Hi all,
Just want to shear my more recent evaluations on the matter.
Being somewhat afraid installation of the reinforced spindle could trigger other parts to break /damage when the piston gets dirty , i've made an excessive blockage test using one of the reinforced (non flattened) Delrin spindles I've started to use.
Turned the piston completely down till blockage and kept turning - forcing! - the filler knob further till it finally came off the barrel.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience!

Just to clear things a bit: did you rotate the knob counter-clockwise?

Cheers!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience!

Just to clear things a bit: did you rotate the knob counter-clockwise?

Cheers!

Yes, turned the piston completely down, "bottoming" against the section, then "forced" the piston further down with the filling knob.

Francis

Hi Frances

Will you be offering the Peek and brass versions for sale yourself or will they be available through a third party supplier.

If you are going to sell them, how much for each type, don't need any yet but I would like to have a couple of each to hold in stock for when that day comes.

Thanks

Paul

*a little bit later*

well, at least it's an extremely nice dip pen...

How should we understand this , a failure ???

Hi Frances

Will you be offering the Peek and brass versions for sale yourself or will they be available through a third party supplier.

If you are going to sell them, how much for each type, don't need any yet but I would like to have a couple of each to hold in stock for when that day comes.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

i will not sell these separately, i only use them for a complete repair job.

Only "Custom Pen Parts" -in the UK sells the Peek version directly.

I don't know if CPP will also make the brass version in the future.

Francis

*a little bit later*

well, at least it's an extremely nice dip pen...

I sincerely hope you did not perform my excessive evaluation test on your pen, the original weak lead spindle will logically shear off when doing so….

Francis