Best Inks For A Demonstrator?

CharlieTurtle

What are some inks that...

• Look good in that clear body
  • Don't stain
  • ideally, readable on paper (so not say, bright yellow)

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• CharlieTurtle

• WaskiSquirrel

• SeeksAdvice

I use Waterman or Parker blue for my demonstrators and pens with ink windows. From what I see, the recent Parker blue from France is very close to the Waterman blue.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

I took a Noodler's Ahab demonstrator and filled it with Noodler's Nikita. It looked like a vial of blood. My students at school thought it was cool and funny.

Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

I really love the looks of Noodler's Apache Sunset in my Pelikan m205 demonstrator. Pelikan Edelstein Jade also looks good in another demonstrator. Another that really struck me was Noodler's Dragon's Napalm.

Surprisingly, the blacks actually look good. I'm sure some stain, but none of the ones I've tried. But they don't look "cool" like the three I listed above.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I took a Noodler's Ahab demonstrator and filled it with Noodler's Nikita. It looked like a vial of blood. My students at school thought it was cool and funny.

I may have to try that. I have Nikita and I have an empty demonstrator at the moment...

Inks that appear reddish or orangey in a demo look best! I would go for any translucent orange ink that dries with a more subdued appearance.

I really love the looks of Noodler's Apache Sunset in my Pelikan m205 demonstrator.

Doesn't Apache Sunset look very dark in the pen? At least it does in the bottle... Just a few days ago I was looking for an orange to ink my M1000 demonstrator with but went for Caran d'Ache Saffron instead because that one is translucent.

I think all translucent colors should look great. I've tried said Caran d'Ache Saffron, Iroshizuku yu yake, Stipula Zafferano (though that one is too light, sadly). Iroshizuku Kosumusu (pink) looked great in my TWSBI. I've also tried Iroshizuku chiku-rin which is a light green color but looks very dark in the pen.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

I've got Cult Pens/Diamine Deep Dark Brown in my amber Pilot Custom 823. In my Pilot 92 clear demo, I've Diamine Asa Blue which is an ink I've had for ages but not used much. It seems perfect in this pen and even though it's only the first fill, I can't see any indication of staining.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Doesn't Apache Sunset look very dark in the pen? At least it does in the bottle... Just a few days ago I was looking for an orange to ink my M1000 demonstrator with but went for Caran d'Ache Saffron instead because that one is translucent.

I'll concede that it's a darker orange, but definitely translucent. I have Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin in a Noodler's Konrad right now. It is far more translucent through the ink window.

After I went to bed last night, I did think to myself that some of the very opaque inks like Noodler's Red Fox would look good in a demonstrator. I'm not sure about staining.

Irsohizuku Tsuki-Yo looks pretty decent, especially the interplays of blue and green. And, definitely dark enough to be visible on the page. Have tried in TWSBI 580's, Sailor Pro Gear Realo, M400, Noodler's RB, and something else that I can't remember off-hand now without staining.

Though, I admit, even after buying a ton of Noodler's ink in the last two weeks, I still have a very strong preference for the blues of the Iroshizuku line.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Hi,

I use all kinds of Pelikan, Diamine, Montblanc, Omas, Aurora, and Platinum inks in my pens. Basically, one should watch out with inks that are red and orange. Purple are also another one to look out for. One should also be wary of blacks and blue blacks (can stain the piston pink or yellow)

Safe purples are Pelikan Brilliant Violet and Montblanc Lavender Purple. I use them in clear pens, and have never experienced any staining to any parts. Omas Violet stains very badly. I don't recommend it.

I haven't found an unsafe green or royal blue yet.

For black, I like Aurora, Montblanc, or Pelikan. They do not stain parts yellow or pink.

For blue-black, I like Diamine blue-black second version and Platinum blue black. These two are non-staining. Platinum is an iron-gall formula and is waterproof after a few days.

For reds and pinks, Diamine claret is my go-to ink. I have used it in all kinds of pens, vintage, limited edition, and new pens, and it never stains. It also looks really pretty in a clear barrel. It's partly translucent.

Some inks can be used as well such as Aurora Blue and Diamine Bilberry. They don't stain either, but one should remember to fill the pen with water and let it sit overnight to dissolve any leftover deposits since the inks have a fair amount of dye in them. Bilberry is a lot like PR Tanzanite in color, but it doesn't stain.

Inks that contain large amounts of allura red should be avoided since they can stain red pens. Examples are Pelikan Brilliant Red and Diamine Orange. Inks like this can also cause some plating loss where they collect. Here is a Nakaya nib with some crust crystals from Allura red. Needless to say, the pen isn't inked with that anymore. The crystals dissolve completely with water. I had to send a pen that used this ink back to get the nib replaced since the crusts when washed off made off with the plating. On 14K gold nibs, it causes localized rainbowing where it sits. I used my weak solution of detergent to remove the ink from this Nakaya and the converter which was temporarily stained pink. The pen doesn't show any signs of staining at all. It's perfect again, and so is the converter. No lasting damage was done.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2893/10158669164_2b04c648f0_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7369/10159027286_226c889042_b.jpg

Removing pink stains can be done with a very dilute citrus-based detergent. Emphasis on the dilute part. I use one part to fifty parts water or weaker. I like to scrub lightly with this and a cotton swab, and it usually takes any staining of any sort out of the pen very quickly and easily. Acrylic pens are resistant to this. After doing this, rinse the pen out well with water to remove any detergents and loose dye and relubricate the pistons and other parts since this detergent will wash a lot of the lubricants. This really should not be used on polycarbonate pens under any circumstances. Polycarbonate pens are very sensitive to certain soaps and solvents. Any high concentrations of anything can cause polycarbonate to craze. I did a test with hand soap as well as citrus cleaner, and high concentrations of soap that don't affect celluloids, hard rubber, or acrylics will cause polycarbonates to craze, crack, and fall apart. I typically don't use detergents when cleaning unless absolutely necessary, but after having used this concentration and tried many others, I find that this works very well. If I use it in an ultrasonic cleaner, I keep the solution cool with ice and a thermometer. I do the final rinse in warm water.

Basically, I use non-staining inks in all of my pens whether they are clear or not. The ink is supposed to stick to the paper, not to the insides of my pen. If it is more attracted to plastic and doesn't stay in solution we have a problem. Staining can occur when dye works its way between the molecules of the plastic or adheres to them very strongly.

I really like clear pens. With a little care, they can be very nice pens to use. My second fountain pen I ever got was a demonstrator and was a piston-filler. I prefer acrylic and celluloid demonstrators in general. I stay away from polycarbonate pens.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Thoughts?

post-98060-0-81490100-1382899858_thumb.png

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

maybe some iroshizuku?

I know that I'm going to get hooked and oh my god expensive XD I may ask for some for Christmas though

@Dillo : :yikes: that's some serious crust! I am glad it all came off in the end.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Definitely a very vibrant (not necessarily light) color- like an darker orange or purple. Something like a bright blue, waterman south seas or diamine havasu turquoise, etc.