Akkerman 5 Shocking Blue

nomadhacker

post-97661-0-35743400-1382113571_thumb.jpeg

Sheen-tastic!

First I have to thank amberleadavis for the Akkerman samples. Thanks, Amber! You're officially the awesomest person on here!

Where was I? Oh, yeah. Sheen-tastic! This one I jumped on because it's supposedly very close to-or the same as-Diamine Majestic Blue. Another ink I haven't tried, but which is famous for its sheen.

What can I say, this ink delivers. I'm not using a flex pen or a stub on this. Just a fine nib which is reasonably wet. Nice sheen even then.

Shading. Flow is very good and wet as well. Love this ink. Will need to now get either this or the Diamine. And this has a really awesome bottle. I think I'm going to have to get at least one Akkerman for the bottle, and this will probably be the one.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Darcy1978

• nomadhacker

• Bo Bo Olson

Akkermann seems to have many inks that shade well.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

A most marvellous ink, I have to say. Similar to Diamine Majestic but I'm convinced not the same. Great colour and I'll be getting a 'spear' bottle when I'm in The Hague next year.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

A most marvellous ink, I have to say. Similar to Diamine Majestic but I'm convinced not the same. Great colour and I'll be getting a 'spear' bottle when I'm in The Hague next year.

Haven't tried the Diamine myself yet, so I can't speak to it. I do say this is a fantastic flowing ink and I love it.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

TGC - "A most marvellous ink, I have to say. Similar to Diamine Majestic but I'm convinced not the same. Great colour and I'll be getting a 'spear' bottle when I'm in The Hague next year."

Haven't tried the Diamine myself yet, so I can't speak to it. I do say this is a fantastic flowing ink and I love it.

And before anyone asks about any new bottle designs by Akkerman, I did in fact mean to type spare bottle!

The Good Captain

I was sent a sample of this awhile back - I first tried it in a medium nibbed Phileas, and the Voorhout Violet I got at the same time in my Al Star with 1.1 mm nib - flip flopped them with this now in the Al Star and it performs wonderfully. And I like the way the VV looks out of the medium better than the 1.1 - go figure. I was expecting something different.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh... thanks!

Now you too can buy this in the US without the large quantities.

Here's the breakdown, as I understand it from other FPNers who are in Arkansas.

Vaness Pens in Arkansas has the individual bottles for sale. They don't have them on their website, so give a call.

https://www.vanness1938.com/

The bottles are just under $40 each plus shipping (but they are offering free shipping for purchases over $35). In my opinion, that price is VERY fair and they can't be making much of a profit, so buy more stuff from them.

When Frank and I ordered our big orders, we were able to get the price down under $30 but that was only because we bought so many bottles, and the shipping prices have radically increased since then. If you aren't ordering at least 8 bottles, it will be cheaper to order from Vaness.

Here was the group order Frank and I put together last year. (We had two shipments this large).

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/IMG070.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The more I see of Akkermann, the more I want of those inks.

Space is tight enough for little itty bitty 60-50-30 ml bottles.

I got to buy a bigger castle or empty out the dungeon.

Or get rid of two feet of BBQ cook books going back to the early '50's.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The more I see of Akkermann, the more I want of those inks.

Space is tight enough for little itty bitty 60-50-30 ml bottles.

I got to buy a bigger castle or empty out the dungeon.

Or get rid of two feet of BBQ cook books going back to the early '50's.

Or kick out the kids (spouse) (in-laws) ..... problem with buying a bigger castle is more of them want to move in.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Vanness does keep a supply on hand- The Akkerman people asked us not to put it on our website- They aren't set up for the volume that might occur(?). So you can call us during business hours (or email us)- we are brick and mortar (primarily).

We originally did a group buy for locals- and a picture Shawn Newton took somehow made the rounds on FPN- and from there..... We restocked -and restocked. We buy 40ish bottles at a time for improved shipping- but we pay retail. Shocking blue is the most popular color- by far. The bottle is just "the icing on the color cake"

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

That much ink is always dangerous.

:bawl:

Some one sent me samples...., Shocking blue, binnenhof Blues, voorhout violet, orange Broven, Hofkwartier green. :crybaby:

I know as soon as I try them. I'll have to sell some pewter topped beer mugs, or toss out books.

My wife accepts four or five fancy inkwell sets in the living room, but ... I know her.

I doubt if she's going to let me place those ink bottles in the middle of her perfume flagon collection in the bathroom.

Ah, Ha :eureka: If I throw out my used golf balls....I can move small bottles of ink to that drawer.....not been hitting them far enough to lose them lately. :D

• 1 month later...

:bawl:

Some one sent me samples...., Shocking blue, binnenhof Blues, voorhout violet, orange Broven, Hofkwartier green. :crybaby:

I know as soon as I try them. I'll have to sell some pewter topped beer mugs, or toss out books.

My wife accepts four or five fancy inkwell sets in the living room, but ... I know her.

I doubt if she's going to let me place those ink bottles in the middle of her perfume flagon collection in the bathroom.

Ah, Ha :eureka: If I throw out my used golf balls....I can move small bottles of ink to that drawer.....not been hitting them far enough to lose them lately. :D

I know. I'm almost out of room on my ink shelf. Fortunately the wife loves scrapbooking so if I ignore her pile of stamp pads, I can get a clear on the ink bottles.

I'm waiting to see how Christmas goes and then may order some from Vanness. This ink is wonderful but the bottles look like the killer app.

I'll post some pics taken when we visit the shop in The Hague next year. Not many months, and counting.

The Good Captain

• 2 weeks later...

looks close to diamine prussian blue

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is one amazing pile of ink. Interesting fact: the Dutch legendary 60s/70s pop group Shocking Blue did a song called 'ink pot'. Lyrics are awful,

still quite cool I think. Very fitting they should have a real ink pot named after them. Edited by Darcy1978

<p>Hors d'oeuvres must be obeyed at all times.</p>

Wow, that is one amazing pile of ink. Interesting fact: the Dutch legendary 60s/70s pop group Shocking Blue did a song called 'ink pot'. Lyrics are awful,

still quite cool I think. Very fitting they should have a real ink pot named after them.

That's cool info to know.

At the risk of telling you something you already know: the Akkerman inks are like a celebration of the city of the Hague (Den Haag). Although Amsterdam is the capital of the country, the Hague houses the government as well as the royal family. This allows for a whole series of references such as Binnenhof (the site of parliament and government), Treves (the Treves-room is the room where the cabinet meet), Oranje Boven (long live Orange - reference to the House of Orange), Nassau (in fact it is the house of Orange-Nassau). The city has a rich musical history (The Golden Earring for instance, of Radar Love-fame is from the Hague, as is the band Shocking Blue). Parkpop is an annual free (rock) music festival in the Zuiderpark. Other colours are named after streets and locations. Bakakt Haags translates as 'posh Hague' - ie the dialect of posh people in the Hague. The joke here is that kak means s h i t and that the colour is...brown. I live very near the Hague - I should get me some of that Akkerman :)

Edited by Darcy1978

<p>Hors d'oeuvres must be obeyed at all times.</p>

At the risk of telling you something you already know: the Akkerman inks are like a celebration of the city of the Hague (Den Haag). Although Amsterdam is the capital of the country, the Hague houses the government as well as the royal family. This allows for a whole series of references such as Binnenhof (the site of parliament and government), Treves (the Treves-room is the room where the cabinet meet), Oranje Boven (long live Orange - reference to the House of Orange), Nassau (in fact it is the house of Orange-Nassau). The city has a rich musical history (The Golden Earring for instance, of Radar Love-fame is from the Hague, as is the band Shocking Blue). Parkpop is an annual free (rock) music festival in the Zuiderpark. Other colours are named after streets and locations. Bakakt Haags translates as 'posh Hague' - ie the dialect of posh people in the Hague. The joke here is that kak means s h i t and that the colour is...brown. I live very near the Hague - I should get me some of that Akkerman :)

Those are some great insights. Thank you. I sort of wish they'd put out a little descriptive card for each one. That sort of information isn't something that a pure google translate result can give you.