Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

So, You Want Shading, Do You?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Omnias

Omnias

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 21:36

I suggest a name with a wintery context. The high shading and colors it put out just scream ice-cold to me. Something like "Ice Storm" or "Winters Night" would be very fitting if you ask me. 

How about Blizzard Nuit? Sorry J. Herbin inspiration after their latest craze.

My only issue with this formula is I do not have ANY of the three inks! I mean, I do have a turquoise, a blue black, and a black, but definitely not those specific ones!

#62 Miz Black Crow

Miz Black Crow

Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:26

Masque, do you (or anyone else) have any more photos of this ink? Has anyone other than Masque brewed this at home? The one shot looked AMAZING and I'd love to see more! (And get a sample. And put it in an Ahab. And write with it off into the sunset.... or the Icelandic Minty Bathwater... :D )

If anyone has the Turquoise, I have the 54th Massachusetts, and would be willing to swap a few mLs for enough Turquoise to make a blend (and I'll just buy a sample of OMB...) I wonder, would it work with Heart of Darkness, or just plain old Black? :unsure:

Pens: Pilot Metropolitan (silver), Lamy Safari (Charcoal, XF), Lamy Safari (Charcoal, M), Noodler's Ahab (Cardinal Darkness) /// Inks: Noodler's 54th Massachusetts. /// Words: "Write. Finish things. Keep writing." -- Neil Gaiman.
l.png

#63 Prvt. Toter

Prvt. Toter

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:34

I think you can try the substitution, however Masque took quite awhile to verify this works and does not gunk things up... and his version is amazing... Mixing inks can sometimes lead t sludge, settling, etc.   I am going to wait till I can order some ink, but it looks well worth the wait for me. 

If you think everything is going well, you obviously have no clue what is really going on!

#64 Ted A

Ted A

New pen's in the mail!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 15:30

Here you go, sort of. Poor lighting, crummy paper, but its a similar mix using Heart of Darkness. It seems a bit lighter and not so much shading as the original mix. I tried it at home this morning on Rhodia and it seemed to shade much better on that.

fpn_1418138876__shading_blue.jpg

We have a natural right to make use of our pens... - Voltaire

#65 Miz Black Crow

Miz Black Crow

Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 17:27

Thanks for the photo! If you're getting that kind of variation on copy paper, this ink must REALLY shine on Rhodia / Clairefontaine / Tomoe River / .....

Sigh. So lovely. :wub:

Pens: Pilot Metropolitan (silver), Lamy Safari (Charcoal, XF), Lamy Safari (Charcoal, M), Noodler's Ahab (Cardinal Darkness) /// Inks: Noodler's 54th Massachusetts. /// Words: "Write. Finish things. Keep writing." -- Neil Gaiman.
l.png

#66 Masque

Masque

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 17:03

Hi all,

Thank you for all of the feedback. I apologize for taking so long to get the Mexico to you, and I am genuinely surprised at the passionate interest that has been shown. As for a name, it has heretofore been known as, "batch one", "batch two", etc. I did suggest somewhat of a tongue in cheek name at the beginning of the post

I don't have Heart of Darkness, so I can't compare directly. I will say the OMBB has properties I don't see in my other blacks, but anything is worth trying.

I can also confirm that shading on "junk" papers isn't as clear. The photo above looks right.

I've entertained the idea of mixing this up at the bottle level rather than the mL level, but that'd leave me with rather a lot. :)

#67 Miz Black Crow

Miz Black Crow

Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 17:42

Masque, if you were to mix this up at the bottle level, I'm sure some of us would be more than happy to help you go through it. Maybe you could sell micro-bottles (10-15 mLs) to other people on the forum and/or reading this particular thread... assuming we could all see pretty pretty pictures of Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater in action ;)

l.png

#68 vossad01

vossad01

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 18:17

[...] we could all see pretty pretty pictures of Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater in action ;)

+1 on the name

#69 Ambrose Bierce

Ambrose Bierce

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 23:09

Hi all,

I've entertained the idea of mixing this up at the bottle level rather than the mL level, but that'd leave me with rather a lot. :)

I would also be up for helping you go through a bottles worth  ;). I would be all for purchasing a samples vials worth of the ink to test out.