Who Has Some Love For The Pilot Metropolitan?

stoof2010

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stoof2010

• glorfindel

• 79spitfire

• alc3261

• 1 year later...

I really like my Metropolitan too. I switched the nib with a Pilot 78g .8mm italic nib or broad if you buy it from Japan or you can use the nib from the Pilot Plumix and then you have a great looking, feeling and writing italic Metropolitan.

i tried removing the nib of the 78G and it does not come out. Ended replacing the section + nib but now I have a franken_pen, black upstairs, teal downstairs.... Does the nib comes out of the 78G alone or with the section?

Today I took a photo, I wanted to see how it look to another person. At leats it will draw some comments, not that bad IMO.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/PENS/Pilots/Metrofranken_Pen_zps99d1566b.jpg

Edited by Oldtimer

My only issue with the Pilot Metro is the difference in size between the section and the body. Which for me makes it an unpleasant feel.

If the diameter difference does not hit you in how you hold the pen, it is a GREAT pen. So smoooooooth.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Since other people are bumping this topic: I got a medium nib, violet, Metro last week for my first fountain pen. It works pretty well and of course was cheap too. For my next pen, I think I'll get a fine nib Metro, maybe in bronze, for more 'professional' use. :)

Without a doubt the best $15 fountain pen out there. I am not 100% in love with the grip design, but it is my everyday carry pen when I am teaching school.

Edited by bhbarto

I picked up a silver one with a medium nib over the Christmas holidays. The nib is amazingly smooth, and the pen, while metal bodied, doesn't seem heavy. It also posts well, without feeling overbalanced. I tried both a medium and a fine nib while I was in the store (Bromfield Pen Shop, in Boston) and found the F to be a bit scratchy. The M, however is quite nice for a pen that inexpensive.

Will it replace my Parker 51s? No. But it's a great knockabout pen, and is less expensive than a Lamy Safari (and without the triangular grip). I may break down and actually get a Safari at some point -- I was gifted recently with a Jinhao 599 and the grip isn't as annoying as I expected. But the Metropolitan is a pretty nice pen for the money, and I've been pretty pleased with its performance so far.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Does the nib comes out of the 78G alone or with the section?

Yup. Here's a video from the great SBREBrown. Best with some haggis.

round-letter-exc.png

Yup. Here's a video from the great SBREBrown. Best with some haggis.

If it wasn't for his disassembly line videos, I would have either broken all my pens or never properly cleaned them by taking them apart.

I prefer to fully disassemble them for cleanings.

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg

Yeah, I think this is the best pen $15 can buy.

In fact, I stocked up on these to give out as presents to people who I think might enjoy fountain pens.

I've only tried the medium point (that's all you get from Goulet's), but it writes more like a fine-medium.

It writes really, really well. I've been really impressed with this pen.

Yeah, I think this is the best pen $15 can buy.

In fact, I stocked up on these to give out as presents to people who I think might enjoy fountain pens.

I've only tried the medium point (that's all you get from Goulet's), but it writes more like a fine-medium.

It writes really, really well. I've been really impressed with this pen.

Goulet does now carry the fine. A bit too much feedback for me though.

Just an FYI

Edited by stoof2010

-Stefan

Goulet does now carry the fine. A bit too much feedback for me though.

Just an FYI

Ah, thanks! I just ordered from them 2 weeks ago and they did not seem to have fine point for metropolitan.

Oh well, I've got an excuse for another order! :)

Ah, thanks! I just ordered from them 2 weeks ago and they did not seem to have fine point for metropolitan.

Oh well, I've got an excuse for another order! :)

Actually, it looks like they have fp only for some metropolitans, not all. Maybe just an inventory thing.

Actually, it looks like they have fp only for some metropolitans, not all. Maybe just an inventory thing.

I know the animal prints have them. Not sure about the older solid color ones.

-Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

I love my metropolitan. I agree that it's one of the best values out there. I hardly use my Lamy Safaris after buying one....

Yup. My plain jane black Metropolitan is my EDC pen. It feels substantial for such a cheap pen, and I just love the way it writes. For an inexpensive fountain pen with a steel nib, it's an amazingly nice writer.