hari317

Bigger IS better!

I plan to buy some as vessels to store my collection of vintage Peter Pans.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Fuellerfuehrerschein

• a_m

• subbucal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bigger IS better!

I plan to buy some as vessels to store my collection of vintage Peter Pans.

I am pretty sure the Supreme will serve the primary function of being a pen rather well but the peter pan is a good back up consolation plan... :)

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

In the euphoria of seeing the photos of these pens, I forgot to ask...Hari, any good news about the number of cap turns? and how does Gama Supreme compare with Deccan MP or Advocate, given the similar size...?

Regards,

Jai

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

In the euphoria of seeing the photos of these pens, I forgot to ask...Hari, any good news about the number of cap turns? and how does Gama Supreme compare with Deccan MP or Advocate, given the similar size...?

Regards,

Jai

Good question, I just checked.

The Gama Supreme: 3 1/2 turns to uncap.

Advocate Sr, Full HR: 4 turns

Advocate Sr Steel cap: 8 turns

White MP: 3 1/2 Turns

BHR MP: 2 turns

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you, Hari. I just felt (and still do feel) the need to give back and I love being a part of such an organization. Yes, it looks like the worst has passed. Now, the assessment of damage must start and I fear it's going to be widespread and disastrous. Few lives were lost, according to reports I continually check, so that is a definite plus, especially compared to the 1999 cyclone.

This pen leaks bigtime for me :(

The following procedure for filling and priming an Indian ED may be helpful:

1. The first thing to do is to thoroughly rinse the barrel and section in running water and dry them.
  2. Apply silicone grease on the section threads and screw and unscrew the section a couple of times to let the grease penetrate.
  3. Fill the ink into the barrel using a ED or a syringe upto the level where the threads end (you should be able to see the threads; where the threads end you see the ink level).
  4. Now screw in the section carefully halfway.
  5. Invert the pen now(nib pointing down into mouth of open ink bottle) and screw in the section fully (ink will drip into the bottle while screwing in), the excess air in the barrel will force ink out through the feed priming it.
  6. Now tighten the section fully and wipe point to remove excess ink.
  7. This priming and greasing procedure needs to be followed only when a new dry pen is being filled for the first time or after every ink change.

Very Important: Indian ED pens will tend to flow more/blot as the ink level in the barrel gets lower(This is due to the simple feeders used). Always keep the ink level more than 1/2 of the full ink capacity of the barrel.

I hope the above helps. If it does not, there is some defect in your pen and you must contact the seller who sold you the pen.

Regards,

Hari

Interesting that the dealer calls this a Medium size pen. I wonder what a large looks like? :)

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I was looking at the wrong one I guess, but check out the measurements given for this one, the one called medium: GAMA Ebonite Fountain Pen; Indian Eyedropper;#1;D-tone M-Nib;Brown-Black Marbled | eBay

Width at segment (which I gather is the section) .75"

width at center 1".

That would be a whopping fat pen. Must be an error in the copy.

I forgot to say how nice your pen looks, but it would be too wide for me. This one above might be just the ticket though.

Dan

Hari, thank you for this comprehensive review. I am particularly grateful for the ED filling instructions as I await the arrival of my first Indian pen: a Deccan Advocate. That purchase was of course inspired by your other reviews which have afforded me much pleasure.

I was looking at the wrong one I guess, but check out the measurements given for this one, the one called medium: GAMA Ebonite Fountain Pen; Indian Eyedropper;#1;D-tone M-Nib;Brown-Black Marbled | eBay

Width at segment (which I gather is the section) .75"

width at center 1".

That would be a whopping fat pen. Must be an error in the copy.

I forgot to say how nice your pen looks, but it would be too wide for me. This one above might be just the ticket though.

Dan

Dear DanF

I have since revised the measurements to mm scale..

It is a medium sized pen.

This picture might help

L to R :- JinhaoX450, Lamy Al Star, Gama #1 or Junior & MB

post-107523-0-89358700-1381724263_thumb.jpg

Hari, thank you for this comprehensive review. I am particularly grateful for the ED filling instructions as I await the arrival of my first Indian pen: a Deccan Advocate. That purchase was of course inspired by your other reviews which have afforded me much pleasure.

Thank you Triode. I had originally posted this filling method instructions in 2008 in this now obscure thread: link I am glad you find it useful. :)

Thank you Hari, for the wonderful review...and support

and thank you for making this wonderful pen available to us who cannot visit Madras often. :)

ASAPENS --- PM sent. Thanks for posting the corrected measurements!

Dan

Nice! Another pen/brand added to my ever growing list of items to buy when I can afford to! I tend to like the design of Indian pens, but quality varies tremendously. Sounds like this would be one of the better ones. Still, while I like large pens (or more specifically, pens with wide sections), this one just might be overdoing things :-)

It varies a lot between Indian eyedroppers at which point they decide to release their contents in drops or all at once. For instance, the Camlin Trinity, as far as I can recall, never has. Its cheaper stablemate the Camlin 36 did so when it was at least 95% full...

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

It varies a lot between Indian eyedroppers at which point they decide to release their contents in drops or all at once. For instance, the Camlin Trinity, as far as I can recall, never has. Its cheaper stablemate the Camlin 36 did so when it was at least 95% full...

The keep 1/2 or 1/3 full rule is feeder dependent. If your pen dumps ink when it is still 95% full, it indicates a fault somewhere, not a quirk. link. I would check to see if the nib and feed are a tight fit in the section with no annular gap visible when seen against a strong light, that there are no cracks or pinholes in barrel/section/threads, that the section threads are well greased.

good luck with your Indian pens journey.

Nice! Another pen/brand added to my ever growing list of items to buy when I can afford to! I tend to like the design of Indian pens, but quality varies tremendously. Sounds like this would be one of the better ones. Still, while I like large pens (or more specifically, pens with wide sections), this one just might be overdoing things :-)

The quality does vary along with the price. The Dynamic range is very high. The Camlins you talk about cost more than an order of magnitude less than the Gama Supreme. Markups are a great flattener!! Think automatic level control. HTH.

Edited by hari317

A good looking pen indeed, especially the green one! A good review again Hari! Enjoy!

Thanks Abhik. When are you coming to India, I have something for you, sending an email... :)

Edited by hari317