Diamine Deep Dark Brown

cybaea

This is a Cult Pens (UK) exclusive colour made by Diamine. It complements their Deep Dark Blue very well.

It is what it says on the bottle: a deep and dark brown ink that performs really well. This is already a new favourite of mine, especially on the yellow paper.

USAGE

DAILY WRITER: Yes, very much so.

BUSINESS USE: Yes. I will absolutely use it.

ILLUSTRATIONS: Yes, if the shading can be controlled.

NOTES: Very much so

PERSONAL: Yes, though perhaps not as warm and welcoming as some inks?

LOVE LETTERS: Not from me, but it could be pressed into service if a brown ink is desired.

PERFORMANCE

FEATHERING: 3/4 - very slight feathering visible under 4x magnification on inkjet paper. [1]

BLEEDTROUGH: 3/4 - on inkjet paper (only) with the 1.1 mm nib (only)

SHADING: 2/4 - very good for such a dark colour

SHEEN: 0/4 - I didn't see any

WATERPROOF: 1-2/4 - pale lines remain

DRYING TIME: 2/4 - medium

FADE RESISTANCE: (not tested)

[1] Note that The Good Captain saw more feathering in this post; as usual the best thing is to get a bottle for yourself and test it :)

REVIEW

(Apologies that I messed up the broad nib even more than usual)

fpn_1380621783__diamine-deep-dark-brown.

WRITING SAMPLES

(As usual, the text is from today's Office of Readings)

CARTRIDGE PAPER

fpn_1380621841__diamine-deep-dark-brown-

RHODIA PAPER

fpn_1380621867__diamine-deep-dark-brown-

RHODIA R PAPER

fpn_1380621898__diamine-deep-dark-brown-

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cybaea

• RobertP

• The Good Captain

• Bhavna

Top Posters In This Topic

A great review and I think we agree that DD Brown is a great ink. As I've said - it's the brown for me!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Wow. Thank you for this supremely comprehensive review. I love the text you use very much, a nice start to the day. This ink really is lovely.

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

For those of you who can't easily get this UK exclusive ink: you may find Diamine Macassar a reasonable substitute. I show some brown inks at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/253591-diamine-deep-dark-brown-compared/

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Wow. Thank you for this supremely comprehensive review. I love the text you use very much, a nice start to the day. This ink really is lovely.

You are most welcome :)

Edited by cybaea

GUTTED... :(

The postman turned up today with a package full of nice looking brown ink spurged everywhere. The Deep Dark Brown bottle smashed somewhere along the delivery route and the outer packaging had turned into a clear plastic bag with ink sloshing around in it. I had to refuse the delivery and it's now on its way back to Cult Pens.

So my wait will be extended. My new clutch pencil was in there as well - and that obviously went back too as I wasn't going to fish around in a bag of ink and glass shards to get that out!

Not a happy chappy today :(

Update: WOW! I got a reply from Cult Pens, with the promise to send out a replacement today, only 8 minutes after I sent an email to them explaining the situation! Now that is fantastic customer service! :D

Edited by RobertP

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.
William Makepeace Thackeray

GUTTED... :(

The postman turned up today with a package full of nice looking brown ink spurged everywhere. The Deep Dark Brown bottle smashed somewhere along the delivery route and the outer packaging had turned into a clear plastic bag with ink sloshing around in it. I had to refuse the delivery and it's now on its way back to Cult Pens.

So my wait will be extended. My new clutch pencil was in there as well - and that obviously went back too as I wasn't going to fish around in a bag of ink and glass shards to get that out!

Not a happy chappy today :(

Update: WOW! I got a reply from Cult Pens, with the promise to send out a replacement today, only 8 minutes after I sent an email to them explaining the situation! Now that is fantastic customer service! :D

My experience with Cult Pens is that customer service is great. Glad you are getting yours tomorrow, otherwise I would have posted you a sample.

Enjoy it. It is easily my favourite work brown, though I still prefer Chocolate Brown for personal letters.

My experience with Cult Pens is that customer service is great. Glad you are getting yours tomorrow, otherwise I would have posted you a sample.

Enjoy it. It is easily my favourite work brown, though I still prefer Chocolate Brown for personal letters.

I really wonder how on earth the post office managed to break it. It looked extremely well packaged (I'm sure the folks at Cult Pens know a thing or three about wrapping ink bottles). Someone must have dropped something heavy on it or stamped on it!

Thanks for the sample offer, that would have been great, but Cult Pens beat you to it :D

My TWSBI Micarta looks pretty sad, it was looking forward to having some brown today.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

Mine has just arrived and gone back to the depot having left me a card...hope it's not in the same condition!!!

Graham

Edited by axolotl66

Schiet naar de top

The new one turned up today in perfect condition today :D

Rob

Love it!

My next two ink purchases were going to be Diamine's Apple Burst and one of their oranges (I hadn't decided which, yet), but I may have to replace/add a bottle of this to the order too - lets be honest, it isn't going to be replace, is it?

I agree about Cult Pens, I've had nothing but fantastic service from them.

Edit: Oh dear, just went onto their site to see if their exclusive ink was the same price as the other Diamine inks - they have a clearance sale on. Thank goodness no fountain pens (for my debit card's sake), but there is a nice drafting pencil and a couple of other things... I should really try to find my missing willpower, unfortunately it went AWOL years ago!

Edited by Geordielass