Your Thoughts On The Kashmir Doric Selling On Ebay For $1,125?

AV8R210

A question for the long time and learned collectors of Wahl-Eversharp pens from one who is fairly new to the hobby:

First, granted that an item is worth exactly what a willing buyer pays a willing seller in an open and free marketplace.

This evening an oversize Kashmir Doric with adjustable nib, in what appeared to be really great condition (note I am staying away from traditional pen condition categories: not sure where this one would fall, but certainly is was a gorgeous example), sold on eBay for $1,125. It was not new-in-the-box. EBay item 200966431666. Photo attached.

Was this, in your opinion, a reasonable price in September, 2013? Or was this an example of a great pen being bid, in the excitement of an auction, beyond its current market value?

My purpose is not to disrespect the buyer, but rather to better understand Doric values.

post-106179-0-71446200-1380249602_thumb.jpg

"It is the pen gives immortality to men." Maistre Wace, Canon of Bayeux, 1110-1174

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AV8R210

• Linck

• Chrissy

• OleOle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The extremity looks like it has some crystallization. I maybe wrong though.

Last time I saw another standard 2nd generation eversharp doric, piston filler with fully functional nib and filling mechanism according to the seller. The bid stopped at around $385US + shipping.

I am not sure whether this pen is comparable with this, but i seldom saw them get higher than $500US. Don't quote me on this though, its just some of my experience. =D

The extremity looks like it has some crystallization. I maybe wrong though.

Last time I saw another standard 2nd generation eversharp doric, piston filler with fully functional nib and filling mechanism according to the seller. The bid stopped at around $385US + shipping.

I am not sure whether this pen is comparable with this, but i seldom saw them get higher than $500US. Don't quote me on this though, its just some of my experience. =D

Yes it is crystallizing.

The nib is what tips the scales when it comes to Dorics these days. #10 adjustable nibs are hard to find, one could expect to pay $250-500 just for the nib depending on condition, I think when you factor that and Oversized Dorics being sharp looking pens the price really spiked. Ed gets some great money for his pens, now they are usually great pens too which helps!

OK, so I needed to learn about crystallization in Dorics' celluloid. Found the thread in which Syd and other discuss the breakdown of celluloid and environmental contamination. Good stuff.

Now, looking at the photo above I can only surmise that you are looking at the bright emerald green at each end of the pen... and those are the parts that have crystallized. Yes? No?

"It is the pen gives immortality to men." Maistre Wace, Canon of Bayeux, 1110-1174

Hmmm...so if this pen has started crystallizing at both ends, that should have affected its value. Hmmmm...

I'm a newbie when it comes to collecting, but even I can see the crystallizing :( I would never buy the pen for that price. But I really do want to buy a doric, but what I have read the black colour is the safest and maybe pen have better quality from the second generation?

I'm a newbie when it comes to collecting, but even I can see the crystallizing :( I would never buy the pen for that price. But I really do want to buy a doric, but what I have read the black colour is the safest and maybe pen have better quality from the second generation?

Me either. However, I also heard that oversize adjustable nib are highly sought by collectors so some ppl may still have preference and want to purchase with that price. This is all about personal preference when it come to collecting.

From what I heard of, black doric are more stable than other pattern, although I still prefer doric with shell pattern (they are just more beautiful in my opinion.)

Didn't see the auction,but would I be correct in assuming there was

a bidding war(near the end?) between two bidders over the pen?

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

I watched it. Yes, there was very active bidding at the end. As I remember, there was a sniper at the very end as well.

I looked at the bid history. This is interesting.

There were 16 bids in the last 24 hours of the auction. During the last hour there were 6 bids by one bidder (20 in eBay Feedback ), that drove the price from $455 to $1125. Each of his/her six bids was topped by an automated bid from another bidder (53 in eBay Feedback). The last attempt to top the auto bid process was 6 minutes before the end of the auction, with a bid of $1,100 and followed by the final auto bid of $1125.

One has to wonder if that last unsuccessful bidder was just making it expensive for the auto-bidder.

Note: the last bid by any bidder with an eBay Feedback score of over 200 was about four hours before the end of the auction. that bidder had a Feedback score of 919 and did not pursue the bidding past $450.

In the end, it was indeed what a determined buyer was willing to pay a willing (and hopefully delighted) seller in an open marketplace.

• 1 year later...

I had bought a Doric pen set at a show year ago in excellent condition, except that someone was viewing the pen and returned it to me where the piston will not go all the way in by almost 1/8th of an inch. To make matters worse, I soaked the nib portion only for about one hour and removed plenty of dry ink by flushing it; however, now the piston goes in only when I twist it. It's become so hard to push in that I am afraid it could break. I was ready to sell it but now I realize it does need TLC. This is the 4.5 closed model with the adjustable #6 nib. On the outside it is a beauty, including the nib. I cannot attempt the repairs posted in another forum, too complicated for me. Does anyone know where I could send it for repairs? I was thinking of possibly selling it as is since it is almost like new outside and only has a mechanical problem that can be fixed. Thanks for your advice.

I definitely remember seeing pens like this go for more than USD 1.000, but they were absolutely perfect with no crystallization at all. The nib was also in perfect conditions (can't say about this one).

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting, since I just bought a very similar pen and pencil set in the same color for about a third of that amount. The pen doesn't have the adjustable nib and it has some cosmetic damage, but somebody must have really really REALLY wanted it.

More than I would. Value, of course, is in the eye of the beholder, but I once had a sharp lesson in ownership when my newly-bought sterling Waterman ringtop unscrewed itself from its cap and disappeared. The lesson was that I should never buy something that I can't live with losing. If you start having nightmares that the cat is chewing your pen to bits, you probably paid too much.