Thinking About Buying An Edison Pen

cadfael_tex

I have half a dozen or so Binderized JoWo nibs between my Edisons and Bexleys... All are great writers; smooth and no drying out at all. They fit with the quality of the pens.

Those JoWo nibs that I own and haven't been tuned by Richard are much less impressive. I had an untuned nib that came in a Bexley Jitterbug with a nasty case of baby's bottom - I have been able to solve that problem myself with careful re-shaping and smoothing. I bought a second-hand 2012 LEE Edison Pearl that had a horrid nib, but it had been used, so I don't know how it came originally. I re-aligned and tuned that to be nice and consistent as well.

This year's 2013 LEE Edison Morgan that I bought had the newly available JoWo 1.1 Italic. That nib is still a disaster (inconsistent flow, skipping a lot on downstrokes). I've swapped it for an EF tuned by Richard that I bought as a spare for another pen.

I have a LE Edison Nouveau Premiere that I sent off to Pendemonium to have Letta grind the B nib to a C.I. It skipped quite a bit when I got it back, and required quite a bit of fiddling to get it writing properly. It's a great pen now, one of my faves.

Brian's pens rock. They really do. The craftsmanship is impeccable. The nibs, as others have stated, are hit and miss. I am such a cheapskate perfectionist, it has been better for me to learn by reading and listening and experimenting how to properly tune a nib so that I don't have to send a pen or nib back to someone else to get it working right. But, I completely agree that when one spends a Benjamin and a half (for starters) on a pen, it darned well better write right. Thus I recommend Richard, based on my experiences. I read good things about Tim G. and Mike & Linda Kennedy, who have learned from the Master, but I tend to go with The Binderizer as he is a known commodity for me at this time. If/when Richard hangs up his loupe, I am very grateful that he has passed on his wisdom to others.

So, to answer Tim, your theories seem to correlate well with my experiences. No disrespect meant towards Brian on his nibs. Maybe Brian would consider enrolling in one of Richard's masters nib classes someday (I was very tempted myself when they were offered this summer), but I am not going to tell Brian how to run his business as he has obviously figured out how to make a lot of FP users happy, myself included.

Sorry for the ramble...

Not a ramble at all.

This is an interesting corroboration, though, of the theory.

As far as Brian goes, it's his name on the pen, it's his logo on the nib, he can tune them as he pleases and as he sees fit. When you think about it, the big-4 nib workers--Binder, Mottishaw, Masuyama, and Pendleton Brown--all do things differently. Many of the reviews are stellar. But, I've been asked to tweak other nib worker's work--but that's a preference thing.

I'm sure there are people that, given the option, would prefer one nib worker over the others simply because of the preference of how that nib worker's style relates to a particular person's preference.

I'm sure Brian's preferences in tuning a nib fit many people quite well. At this point, I think it's a matter of style.

But, all this is very interesting.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TimGirdler

• cadfael_tex

• risingsun

• Laura N

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not comfortable naming names regarding who tuned what regarding the JoWo nibs I've used. I will state that tuned (from different "tuners") and untuned nibs still have the hard start problem (even when switched from one pen to another and after changing a variety of inks) which leads me to speculate that it might be an issue with the section sealing into the cap. I don't recall off hand if my Edisons have a separate inner cap. Maybe there is just too much air around the nib letting evaporation to occur resulting in the hard start/poor flow. I'm not an expert in these matters). There are brands I will not touch because they use that nib. As an aside, few years ago Pelikan had a really bad run for a while with substandard nibs (I had real trouble getting a good M200 or M400 regardless of who it was purchased from) so maybe JoWo is experiencing something similar. Pelikan nibs improved (I think they changed the manufacturing process/location or something) and I have since purchased more of their pens (though sometime you can still get a lemon nib). This is just my experience. I'm very particular about the nibs on my pens. I'm others are having success with theirs.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

I also find this discussion interesting, and I'm glad to see so many different opinions expressed.

I suspect that occasional hard starting and skipping issues may actually stem from the converters. I once had some skipping with an Edison nib that made no sense, since under the loupe the nib looked perfect. I flushed the converter with soapy water, then regular water, and the problems immediately vanished. Since I adopted this practice with every new Edison, I have had no hard starts and no skipping. Of course YMMV, but it may be worth a try.

As for steel versus gold, I much prefer Edison's gold nibs, honestly.

I'm not comfortable naming names regarding who tuned what regarding the JoWo nibs I've used. I will state that tuned (from different "tuners") and untuned nibs still have the hard start problem (even when switched from one pen to another and after changing a variety of inks) which leads me to speculate that it might be an issue with the section sealing into the cap. I don't recall off hand if my Edisons have a separate inner cap. Maybe there is just too much air around the nib letting evaporation to occur resulting in the hard start/poor flow. I'm not an expert in these matters). There are brands I will not touch because they use that nib. As an aside, few years ago Pelikan had a really bad run for a while with substandard nibs (I had real trouble getting a good M200 or M400 regardless of who it was purchased from) so maybe JoWo is experiencing something similar. Pelikan nibs improved (I think they changed the manufacturing process/location or something) and I have since purchased more of their pens (though sometime you can still get a lemon nib). This is just my experience. I'm very particular about the nibs on my pens. I'm others are having success with theirs.

No problem. I wasn't asking you to spill the beans on who tuned the nibs.

The interesting tidbit here is that tuned nibs and untuned nibs start hard in your experience.

I've had several pens--most notably the Laban Mento--that are hard starters no matter what you do. This is because the inner cap does not seal. As far as the Mento goes, I've developed a fix that allows the clip to move like normal. I actually build and install a new piece--an extension--for the inner cap. It's worked pretty well so far.

But, yes....air getting into the pen can be and is a problem for nibs drying out.

Best to you,

Tim

There seems to be enough issues to give me pause. Keep the input coming as I sort through the info. I don't necessarily write with each pen I own every day but one thing that drives me crazy is hard starting.

I also find this discussion interesting, and I'm glad to see so many different opinions expressed.

I suspect that occasional hard starting and skipping issues may actually stem from the converters. I once had some skipping with an Edison nib that made no sense, since under the loupe the nib looked perfect. I flushed the converter with soapy water, then regular water, and the problems immediately vanished. Since I adopted this practice with every new Edison, I have had no hard starts and no skipping. Of course YMMV, but it may be worth a try.

As for steel versus gold, I much prefer Edison's gold nibs, honestly.

I have two Edison pens (only two?), but I have never had any issues with the nib. Like Laura N, I suspect it is the converter that is the problem. I had to play with one of the converters to get a decent flow of ink, despite a nib in perfect alignment. I also prefer the gold nib to the steel. It offers a much smoother writing experience, and I would hesitate to buy another Edison that has the steel nib. I have a Nouveau Premiere, and while it writes okay and doesn't skip, it doesn't excite me. It's just a steel nib. I know steel nibs have the same tipping material as gold, but there is something in the gold nibs that is more responsive than the steel. What makes an Edison really special, however, is the fact that it is handmade and hand-tuned. Brian Gray is a dedicated craftsman, and his products are really beautiful.

Tamara

Interesting to read the comments above on peoples nib experiences with the Edison pens, it appears I'm on the other side of the fence.

I've got three of Brians pens, this years Beaumont Stealth with a medium nib and both last/this years LEE pens (the Pearl and Morgan). I picked up a medium and a broad with the Pearl and the 1.1 stub on the Morgan.

I can't say I've had issues with any of them, ink flow is fine, never seen a skip and that 1.1 stub is sublime for a steel, very smooth, consistent flow and no issues to mention. For reference the Pearl has been inked for around two months now with the same initial fill, used very irregularly and starts up fine [i just wandered over to my writing desk to confirm this to myself after writing this]

One comment I would make, specifically regarding the LEE's is that last years feels slightly better finished than this years. Very minor things and being very picky such as the clip not being perfectly snugly fitted, the engraving not being as fully filled and the cap finial not being precisely smooth to the rest of the cap. This could be due to the larger run, I don't know.

Will I buy another...yes, in fact I'm throwing ideas around for a custom pen from Brian as this years "present to self".

Edited by GSteer

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

There seems to be enough issues to give me pause. Keep the input coming as I sort through the info. I don't necessarily write with each pen I own every day but one thing that drives me crazy is hard starting.

Hard starting drives me crazy too.

One thing that I've incorporated into my nib tuning process is what I call "Rest Testing." It takes longer, sure....but it helps to make sure your pen is exactly right when you get it (or get it back).

After tuning, I leave the pen on my work bench for two to three days, testing it nearly every time I walk past it. If it fails once, it gets re-done. If it goes for five or so tests without starting hard, it gets cleaned, packaged, and shipped.

And, nibs that I've tuned come with a 6-month guarantee (from the date of shipping). All this info is avalible on my website.

One reason I got into the whole pen-work thing is so that my own pens wouldn't skip, snag, or start hard.

Blessings,

Tim

It would be interesting if you guys could state which inks you are using and if your using the converter or eyedropper. Anyone with a pen that is a hard starter willing to eyedropper fill it to see if that is the issue?

I don't normally jump in on these, for those with hard starters, rest assured that any pen can be sent back for nib tuning at no charge. I've even had people send photos or videos of their hand position and this helps.

If it's a pen that was recently received, we always send a shipping box along with pre-paid shipping labels to eliminate hassle.

Nibs are certainly subjective, and getting a nib preparation to work for 100% of customers is impossible. But we will always work with you to make it right is there is an issue.

In the 7-8 years of doing this, I've only had 3-4 customers where I couldn't get their nib to their preference after having sent the pen back. And even in those cases, we're fine with refunds if that's what the customer wants.

Thanks!

Edited by bgray

I have an Edison Herald for many years (5 or 6), when it was still a custom made order. The steel nib I got with it is a bit finicky with the inks, and certainly not a Sailor nib, but not bad (sometimes I exchange it with a couple of excellent gold Bexley nibs, but it usually stays on the pen and actually I have it now with a nice Akkerman blue ink that it likes very well thank you).

What it never does is dry out. However the cap ends with a rubber like collar which I guess keeps it airtight when closed which I do not see in the new Heralds or any other Edison model. I do not know whether Brian decided it was not necessary or whether he made other changes to the cap (I think I am long overdue for another Edison) but that system worked very well.

Maybe Brian can explain it.

Regards

Gistar

Respectfully, I think that's an over-reaction. Maybe this thread contains some negative posts, but there are also positive experiences. I have had eight different Edisons, and I still own six. All work perfectly. I do not have hard starting. Other posters on this thread say the same. Do clean the converter before first use. And consider paying extra for the gold nib.

Which brings up cost. What some people are saying is, in effect, I can get a Sailor with a gold nib for the same price as an Edison with a steel nib. That is true. I'm also a Sailor fan, and they are great pens. A pen from a large manufacturer will often be cheaper. But you said in your first post that you want artisan work, as opposed to mass market.

Finally, some perspective. There is absolutely no pen brand that never lets through a bad nib. No pen nib that writes beautifully with every ink. No pen brand that doesn't have fans and non-fans. No pen size that appeals to everyone. Just because a certain pen isn't right for one person, doesn't mean it isn't right for someone else.

Laura, I didn't say I was reconsidering, just that I was inviting more thoughts on the decision. Since I've been interested in Sailor too, those were interesting comments. However, as you say, I do like to do business with artisans and from all appearances Brian fits that description. It is reassuring that Tim, Brian, and I'm sure Richard will stand behind the pen and the writing experience it provides.

Now I just have to decide which model I like ;)

Laura, I didn't say I was reconsidering, just that I was inviting more thoughts on the decision. Since I've been interested in Sailor too, those were interesting comments. However, as you say, I do like to do business with artisans and from all appearances Brian fits that description. It is reassuring that Tim, Brian, and I'm sure Richard will stand behind the pen and the writing experience it provides.

Now I just have to decide which model I like ;)

Cadfael_Tex,

(Though this post is addressed to and refrences cadfael_tex, it isn't intended to be directed solely at him)

Though I can't speak for Richard (and I'm pretty doggone sure he'll stand behind the Edison pens and every other pen he sells), I will stand behind every pen I sell--epecially the Edison pens.

Anyone who has read Brian's earlier response (see here) can plainly see that Brian stands behind his products 150%. This is one reason why selling Brian's pens is so do-able--he makes a great pen, he's very good at the business side of pens, and he is one of the most genuine and helpful pen-guys out there.

Often times, pen companies make a fateful decision between offering first-rate products and offering first-rate customer service. From everything I've seen and read, and from my own personal experience, Brian has never made a choice between the two--he always does both, and is committed to keep on doing both.

I'm privleged to know both Brian and Howard Levy (who makes Bexley Pens) and I have to say that I'd buy their products and trust their work simply becase of who they are--honest, hard-working, pen lovers who are committed to making great pens and serving their customers well.

That retailers like me (and also Richard, who is, I think, the only other retailer of Edisons who tunes each nib as it goes out the door) tune nibs and stand behind that work and that Brian stands behind his own work is like having a double saftey net.

Anyway...that's my further $.02.

Blessings to all,

Tim

To those who haven't been entirely thrilled with the Edison nibs, may I ask...

Did you get your production pens from a retailer who tunes the nibs??

That may make a big difference. But, as it has already been said, to each his or her own.

At this point, I'm curious and looking for feedback.

Tim

I've 3 Edison Signature line pens, bought directly from Brian. As has been detailed throughout this thread, Brian stands behind his work not only for the Signature line, but the Production line. As of course do the various retailers mentioned or responding (hi Tim!) to this topic.

I know how frustrating it can be—we all want a pen that works right out of the box. I've been there more than once on non-Edison pens, as well. It is always a plus to buy a pen from someone who can check and tune the nibs before shipping, yet that is not always a risk free. I had a non-inexpensive Sailor tuned and bought from a nib master held in high regard, that was quite problematic and had to be returned for "fixing." I had one Edison pen that was hard starting and skipping (my first Edison Mina), and Brian fixed that for me. We went back and forth several times in the mail before it came out right. (We don't all have the luxury of attending pen shows, btw, where many of these things could be fixed on the spot.) Imagine that kind of service over 2-3 weeks from a big brand... it'd be months and months before resolution.

Re. nibs: again, it's so personal IMHO about pens and nibs. I'm super picky about nibs. I've a great love for Japanese fine point nibs, and so I generally have a hard time with the western/european JoWo nibs. All my nibs have been reground to my preferences by Mike Masuyama. Not just my Edisons, but any pen with a JoWo nib. :) (Granted I don't own that many pens!)

That said, my last Edison custom pen came with an EF JoWo nib. It's not a Japanese F, but hey, there's something about it that I love, and so have been using it as it came to me from Brian. It is my favorite everyday writing pen.

And I'm going to get the Menlo some time down the road! Some folks have, but I've not regretted any of my Edison purchases.

Cheers,

Julie

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

I have 8 (I think) Edisons and 2 more on the way (cleared customs today!!).

The only one I had a problem with was the Morgan LEE with a 1.1 stub, which was dry.

I fixed it myself and now it is fine. All the others were great "out of the box".

My £0.02p

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

We have 4:2 commissioned, two bought used. We also have multiple nibs. Never a problem with any of them.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Sorry to say, BUT all of the talk of inconsistent nib performance(hard starting, skipping, stopping in mid-sentence) has just about turned me off from ordering an Edison on line. I has a bad experience with my TWSBI Micarta nib that sounds like what I'm reading about the Edison. It was EVENTUALLY made good by the company in the form of a new, redesigned nib but it took a long time with several delays. I know that Bryan G would make it good if I had problems but it is frustrating and time-consuming to have to deal with shipping back and forth not knowing if you 'll get a good nib or not.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

I had about settled down to a comfortable selection of a couple of pens for everyday use - Pelikan 2XX and maybe 4XX and Pilot VP's. They are comfortable to me and I like the fact they have interchangeable nibs.

Two, to get a little nudge to do it ;)

Well here's you're nudge from a Canadian who has 5 Edisons. 4 new and 1 used. I buy Edison because I KNOW they write out of the box. I've virtually forgotten about any other new pens other than 3 brands and one is Edison. All dealers stand behind their product whether thru dealers that tune or not. I'd order another Edison, production line or custom without a worry.

Converters are sometimes fickle. I don't think it's nibs at all. I've found that piston fillers, or Pilot converters give me no problems. If I have to use a screw type of converter wash with soapy water before the fill. Heck - I've had Waterman and Sheaffer converters that gave me trouble. If nibs are suspect - the manufacturers will eventually hear about it, and tune their product.