Organics Studio Isaac Newton Black (Pigmented)

nomadhacker

post-97661-0-21245400-1379950967_thumb.jpeg

Another new ink that hasn't seen a lot of information out yet. This is another one of Organics Studio's pigmented inks. Waterproof, bleachproof, 80proof.

There was an interesting writing texture to this. It was smooth, but with texture. I'm thinking it's due to the particles in the ink. It was unique to my experience. But then I haven't tried a lot of pigmented inks.

This had either a really long drying time on Rhodia paper, or it was one of those inks that tends to smear while still dry, like Rouge Hematite. I did try it out on non-coated paper, and it dried quickly with no smearing. So I'm guessing there's just some bit that the coated paper isn't letting absorb enough. It handles cheaper paper like a champ. If you tend to use cheap paper or notebooks, this one actually works great.

It has shading, but it's black shading, not washed out gray. It did indeed laugh off the water test like it tickled.

So, in summation, a good waterproof ink for plain paper. You don't need special paper to make the most of this, and in fact, if there's too much coating and the paper's too slick, it'll tend to smear. But I saw no problems with cheap cheap paper.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this handles fade tests, because this might be a really good one for cheap composition books and notebook paper.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nomadhacker

• inkstainedruth

• doggonecarl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This ink interests me, though I'm not sure why. I have "enough" waterproof/water resistant black inks. What worries me about the OS ink is the long dry time and the potential for smearing.

Yes, the bulk of my writing is probably done on what might be best described as cheap paper. But I have had a fair amount of grief over the slowest-drying/easiest smeared ink in my collection: Noodler's Blue-Black. At some point, no matter how careful I think I'm being, I will come in contact with ink that is not dry yet.

I'd hate to add a second ink to my lot that I'd regret getting.

After I wrote this review, I used it on non-rhodia paper. It dried quickly and didn't have any smearing. Seems it's the coating on the paper preventing some crucial part from absorbing, and it's just sitting on top. I don't think it's dry time so much as smearing particles that aren't bonded to anything.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

• 2 months later...

Just another update. It looks like it's behaving similarly to Sailor Kiwa-Guro Nano Black. Seems to be an attribute of pigment inks. The part in contact with the paper dries quickly enough, but then the top layer of pigment may smear a little bit if not absorbed - particularly on highly coated papers. It explains Rouge Hematite's behavior as well. The smearing is minor and I don't really see it much when writing in my notebook - less than Rouge Hematite in fact. It is something to be aware of.

I have not tried this ink. How does it compare to their Charles Darwin? I found *that* ink to be an amazingly black color and also amazingly fast drying -- but the showthrough/bleedthrough and spreading were very problematic.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

They're both a sort of matte black, but this one has a different texture. It flows less wet but more smooth. The dry time seems normalish for this one, as opposed to the crazy fast of Darwin. This one doesn't have the bleedthrough of Darwin, and I've found it to be pretty well behaved on lesser papers.