Cross Coventry Fountain Pen At Staples.

flatline

interesting. the push-in converter doesn't fit (too long), but the screw-in type fits just pushing it in!

It sounds like the problem I had with the Aventura (also sold at staples).

See if there's a spring? My push-in converter fit after taking the said spring out.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• pajaro

• lovemy51

• Sinner67

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds like the problem I had with the Aventura (also sold at staples).

See if there's a spring? My push-in converter fit after taking the said spring out.

why? it works well with the threaded one...

why? it works well with the threaded one...

I felt that the orange threaded one didn't fit as snugly as the green one. but yes, it does seem to work without a problem.

I bought a Montblanc 146 LeGrand on ebay. It has some skipping and scratching issues. I went on youtube and watched all the nib smoothing tutorials, bought a kit from the great folks at Goulet Pens, then chickened out...lol... Decided to "learn" on a nib that wont' make me cry if I ruin it..So I bought one of these Coventry pens by Cross.

It is really a great everyday pen. It writes pretty smooth, no skipping, nice balance. The fine nib is more like an extra fine. It writes well but is somewhat scratchy. The medium nib is nice and wet. The pen comes with two black cross (pelican ink) cartridges.

I have never been a fan of black inks, but this stuff changed my mind. It's very black, smooth and quick drying. After checking in here, I picked up a green Cross converter, and a bottle of Pelikan Brilliant Black Ink. Right now I'm a happy camper.

I agree with all of you who say that this is a very nice everyday pen. I suspect it will take a fair amount of daily abuse. Which, makes it perfect for me to experiment on...I'll let you know how I do tuning up these two nibs.

PS: I like this pen so much that I bought a backup just incase I wreck the first one..

Hi, Love my 51,

You make a valid point..lol... there is a lot of good about Montblanc, I absolutely love my 144. I like a Thinner pen, some people don't. For me, it's a firm nib that stands up to my heavy hand, the size fits me right, and it's light as a feather. I'm not real attached to the LeGrand. Kind of disappointed. Unboxing and starting up this cheap Cross Coventry that writes so nice, made me rethink things a bit..lol.

Update on my Nib tuning....So far I've worked on the medium nib of the Cross Coventry. I got out my Goulet Loupe and looked it over very carefully from every angle. I was kind of disappointed cause there wasn't a lot of issues with it for me to practice my newly learned skills. It was kind of scratchy, so I went to work.

I followed all the things I learned from sbrebrown on Youtube, and in very short time this nib was glass smooth..This is really a nice pen now...lol....Next i'll work on the fine nib that came with it too.

I have a MB 146 bought from somebody here. It skips and skips. I have decided to send it to MB, pay the fee and sell the 146. For about another $80 or so I will be able to recoup the original price and know the pen will be a fair offering to a buyer.

Then I will buy. . .a Cross.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hi, Love my 51,

You make a valid point..lol... there is a lot of good about Montblanc, I absolutely love my 144. I like a Thinner pen, some people don't. For me, it's a firm nib that stands up to my heavy hand, the size fits me right, and it's light as a feather. I'm not real attached to the LeGrand. Kind of disappointed. Unboxing and starting up this cheap Cross Coventry that writes so nice, made me rethink things a bit..lol.

Update on my Nib tuning....So far I've worked on the medium nib of the Cross Coventry. I got out my Goulet Loupe and looked it over very carefully from every angle. I was kind of disappointed cause there wasn't a lot of issues with it for me to practice my newly learned skills. It was kind of scratchy, so I went to work.

I followed all the things I learned from sbrebrown on Youtube, and in very short time this nib was glass smooth..This is really a nice pen now...lol....Next i'll work on the fine nib that came with it too.

all in good fun, Erik...

I like my 124 MB -the only one I own. I have written with a 149 and the nib was very sweet. I just do not care for the brand, so I throw a remark here and there, whenever I get a chance B)

back to the Coventry, the F nib does require a lot of smoothing...

regards.

I purchased this pen just over 2 weeks ago, and ran out of ink within 10 days. I really want to put in a converter, but my local Staples does not have any converters for fountain pens, and only one type of bottle ink. They did have the cartridge refills, so I pick up a pack of those. Today I went to Cross.com and was about to order a converter and bottle of ink, but they want to charge me $9.95 for taxes on a $13.75 order.

My questions is where do you all buy converters and ink bottles?

I purchased this pen just over 2 weeks ago, and ran out of ink within 10 days. I really want to put in a converter, but my local Staples does not have any converters for fountain pens, and only one type of bottle ink. They did have the cartridge refills, so I pick up a pack of those. Today I went to Cross.com and was about to order a converter and bottle of ink, but they want to charge me $9.95 for taxes on a $13.75 order.

My questions is where do you all buy converters and ink bottles?

I'd try amazon. I've had the converter in my wishlist since I bought the pen, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm happy refilling cartridges for now.

--flatline

I bought the blue Coventry. It seems to come with medium and fine nibs. Both nibs are about as smooth as Pelikans and the flow with Montblanc black is good to too much, but the ink flow with the orange converter is super, and the pen does not seem to dry out. Same with medium and fine nibs. Both of mine are smooth. The pen is a little heavy, but not overly heavy. Cap posts.

I could tell this was a Chinese pen, but it's the best Chinese pen I have used yet. I think the ink flow might be just a bit too much for me with the fine nib. Maybe I'll look for an extra fine. The nibs are smooth and they worked right off. Parker could learn something from this.

The Coventry looks like something other than a Cross. The look around the middle is odd, and the look of the cap is not quite like a Cross. The blue color is lovely. It writes like a better pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I, like most of you on this thread, have also purchased this pen at Staples recently and want to buy a converter to use my own inks... I am still hesitant because of the mixed things I have read here about which converters might fit this pen properly!

I want it to fit correctly with no extra room etc, and I'm not sure whether or not I need to order the Green or Brown? I love the pen, it's become my everday writer and look forward to getting it Inked up with some of my favorite Inks! Any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated!

James

I, like most of you on this thread, have also purchased this pen at Staples recently and want to buy a converter to use my own inks... I am still hesitant because of the mixed things I have read here about which converters might fit this pen properly!

I want it to fit correctly with no extra room etc, and I'm not sure whether or not I need to order the Green or Brown? I love the pen, it's become my everday writer and look forward to getting it Inked up with some of my favorite Inks! Any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated!

James

People have reported that the cross threaded converter (the orange one) will work in this pen even though the pen is not threaded.

People have also reported that the cross non-threaded converter (the green one) is slightly too long for this pen, although there is at least one report of it fitting.

So far I've just been refilling the 2 cartridges that came with the pen, but based on what's been reported so far, I'd go with the threaded converter.

--flatline

I used the orange converter. No leaks, good flow.

People have reported that the cross threaded converter (the orange one) will work in this pen even though the pen is not threaded.

People have also reported that the cross non-threaded converter (the green one) is slightly too long for this pen, although there is at least one report of it fitting.

So far I've just been refilling the 2 cartridges that came with the pen, but based on what's been reported so far, I'd go with the threaded converter.

--flatline

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered the screw type converter! I will report my findings when I have it and have used it for a while. I appreciate the prompt response, the last thing I wanted was a dry pen!

James

I used the orange converter. No leaks, good flow.

Thanks for the advice! I just ordered the orange converter and look forward to reporting back with my experiences soon!

James

My blue Coventry came with medium and fine nibs. The pen writes as well as all the other Cross pens I have used, not many to be sure, Century, ATX and this one. I think they all write very well with no real issues. They all write beautifully. That's saying something good about the Cross company.

My converter and bottle of ink come in today. I only ordered one bottle of ink and since I prefer black for most things, I ordered Waterman's Intense Black.

I just picked up a Blue Coventry today. Was waiting for a prescription to be filled and the Staples was just across the parking lot. Haven't tested the fine nib, but the medium nib is ridiculously good for a budget pen. The color is beautiful and I might just make another trip over there. What excuse can I use now...never mind. It's a Cross fountain pen and I've got plenty of cartridges.... :D

PS Update: Tried the Fine nib, not real bad, but it can use some smoothing. Grabbed a staples coupon this morning.

Edited by mab52