Vintage "spillproof" Inkwell

inkstainedruth

Last week I got this NOS vintage inkwell on Ebay. It attracted me because it was listed on the box as being "spillproof" (it was apparently designed for the US Navy during WWII). It wasn't too expensive, and I was the only bidder, but I was wondering how it would really work, since it doesn't seem to have any sort of real cover over the opening in the top.

fpn_1379459438__inkwell_box_cropped_phot

fpn_1379459630__inkwell_cropped_photo.jp

fpn_1379460390__inwell_top_cropped_photo

fpn_1379460531__inkwell_and_filler_cropp

So -- can anyone tell me about this, and how it's supposed to work? And do I have to worry about evaporation? Or is the filler enough protection from that? I got interested in inkwells when I got an 8 oz. bottle of vintage Quink Violet the same week, but a lot of the ones I saw on Ebay were obviously geared more towards dip pens. The only directions are what were on the side of the box.

Thanks in advance for any information folks can provide.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Anne-Sophie

• W Mitchell

• inkstainedruth

In theory, when the thing is rightside-up, the only ink exposed to the air is the small amount within the inner funnel, and keeping your pen standing in the top would further reduce evaporation. When it's on its side, the small end of that inner funnel should be above the level ot the ink remaining in the outer well.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one too ... and haven't used it either.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 months later...

I bought two, one to use and one to keep unused. Haven't used it even though I am now using dip pens when at home. Have been concerned about evaporation too and the possibilty of dust getting in. Do want to use it though.

You could use a little cork to top off the opening, it would protect the ink from dust, I don't know about evaporation but it is worth a try.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I think in this case, spill-proof means spill-resistant. Owing to the broad circular footprint of

the inkwell, it is hard to tip. I do not see anything that would make it airtight for storage.

Sengbusch inkwells from 1900 to about 1950 have floats which shut off the top and

minimize evaporation. The smaller opening looks as though it was meant for dip pens.

I agree, dip pen not FP pen, but it's fun.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

I have an antique glass similar to that design which was very popular in the days of dip pens. At least in Australia from where I'm writing.

They pop up from time to time on Ebay or antique shops.

Usually I pop a cork in to minimise evaporation particulay in the hot summer months.

Have taken it when travelling, with cork of course to be sure, and found it to be a useful inkwell for dip pens

I have an antique glass similar to that design which was very popular in the days of dip pens. At least in Australia from where I'm writing.

They pop up from time to time on Ebay or antique shops.

Usually I pop a cork in to minimise evaporation particulay in the hot summer months.

Have taken it when travelling, with cork of course to be sure, and found it to be a useful inkwell for dip pens

Welcome aboard

I have one of those, and I consider it just for dip pens because when the cap is on I can't really get the whole pen nib and section in there.

Also, some of these inkwells require a lot of ink to function. Not a big deal back when you bought it in quart or half galone bottles for the office, a little more for us now, especially if we jump from color to color for different pens, etc...

T

I keep thinking I'll eventually pull mine out and using it for mixing inks.

As has been remarked a lot of those lovely old inkwells hold a lot of ink. Consider myself fortunate when many many years ago I bought a quart bottle of a old pen ink for next to nothing at a stationers shop clearing sale.

Beautiful old ink which is my favourite writing ink with a dip pen and never seen the like of elsewhere.

• 7 months later...

This inkwell looked very familiar and no wonder, I have the same.

I call it my beehive inkwell.

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures of the box and the inkwell, Inkstainedruth!

I now, know that my beehive inkwell is a Non Spill Ink Well, Navy, from Preferred Products of Toledo, Ohio.

I wonder if they were still used in Korea, that would have made it Klinger preferred inkwell.

So, I did a search and found the thread below from 2010, another member, Penspouse bought the same kind of inkwell but the funnel is the same material as the lid, it has the matching dip pen and the packaging is for civilian use and most probably from the early 40's.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/18054-non-spill-inkwell-question/

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Another fine inkwell to buy.

Very fine having the box too.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.