The Demise Of Handwriting

RJR

Blame Gutenberg!

I think I fall somewhere nearer to WirsPlm on this issue than the OP. I think all the hand wrining and regreting about the demise of handwriting is louder here because for many of us, it was a compulsory element of education and was certainly seen as an essetial skill for making one's way in a literate society. It's not anymore. We can now function in the world without any reliance on cursive writing. I suspect for some time we will need to be able to apply a written signature, but I doubt even that will be a necessity in 25 years. Who among us is distrubed by the passing of Morse code? We mourn the loss of cursive because it was dear to us, most of us came along after Morse code was sent to the store room of superceeded technology. Underwood 5, IBM Selectric, where have you gone?

communication evolves and with the rise of technology it evolves at an ever faster rate. Most of us 'learned' on a rotary phone, but our children may or may not have ever used one (not to brag HERE but the first phone to come into my family home was an old hand ringer hanging on the wall, our 'number was 'two longs and a short'). Do you have a cell phone? Is it a flip phone, a 'keyed' phone, or a 'touch screen' phone? See what I mean?

Cursive handwriting will always be around because it is attractive and cherished by a dedicated following. But it's not essential, any more than Morse code is. I don't believe cursive handwriting will become a lost art, I believe it will become a cherished, anachronistic art, and I say thanks to all of you for carrying it on.

By the way, if you saw my henscratch, you might hail the passing of cursive.

Morse code is still the most reliable way to transmit a message over the radio when noise interference is at a high level. You don't need to know it to obtain a ham radio license anymore, but there are still diehards out there who keep their code skills sharp. There will also be diehards who can use pen and paper to communicate. Both methods may become relegated to "living history" buffs, but they will still exist for many decades or perhaps centuries.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• proton007

• GClef

• smiorgan

• Tom Aquinas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know of any Nobel Prize winners for Literature who write entirely with a computer.

Hand written drafts and revision are essential for excellent writing.

Compare "The Old Man and the Sea" with anything that is currently popular reading.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

My handwriting used to be a Frankenstein mix of cursive and print (after the 2nd grade when we learned cursive, it was never enforced that we use it. Can you believe that?), but as the years have gone on, I've slowly refined it back to quasi-cursive. My new interest in fountain pens has actually helped me write a bit neater, and I think I will be doing a lot of handwriting practice in the future.

“I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”-Calvin

Hello everyone,

After I wrote the original post I re-read it, and then nearly deleted it because I thought it sounded rather curmudgeonly and really, I’m not quite there yet, mentally or physically.

My intent was not to nail any particular group or ideology but to see if the possible impending death of a language, the language we know as writing, was on anyone else’s mind.

Like it or not, the focus of many of the world’s best and brightest minds is directed towards projects that will ultimately lead to the elimination of the hand written word as a necessity and then the practice itself will be viewed as something akin to a hobby activity as several respondents framed it. As pointed out in some of the responses, this process is accelerating exponentially and some see this as unstoppable evolution, and maybe it is just the wheel turning, but I would like to think that we have evolved to the point where not all possible paths in our evolution are acceptable and therefore inevitable.

Thank you to all who have taken the time to respond and whether you agree or disagree, I want to second what DrCodfish wrote about writing, “... I say thanks to all of you for carrying it on.”

RJR

Morse code is still the most reliable way to transmit a message over the radio when noise interference is at a high level. You don't need to know it to obtain a ham radio license anymore, but there are still diehards out there who keep their code skills sharp. There will also be diehards who can use pen and paper to communicate. Both methods may become relegated to "living history" buffs, but they will still exist for many decades or perhaps centuries.

It has been eliminated from commercial shipping as well. They are putting all their eggs in the automated distress basket.....

For many years I wrote in what started as "all caps" with my Capitals larger than other letters. It gradually hybrid-ized with my cursive. I still do that some, but it is more pure cursive than before. I don't write much in the all caps handwriting any more. Some letters in cursive, I either can't or don't do, at least in the capitals. (S,H, and a few others seem to stand out. The H I never liked the goofy loops on it, so I left them off)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

It's not dying out among kids, at least in the UK: last week I was interviewed by two cub scouts. (Interview local businesswoman, get shiny badge.) One was chicken-scratching away, but the other was writing (with a ballpoint) in beautiful cursive; letter sizes were even, his baselines were consistent and it looked much more elegant than I'd have expected from an 11-year-old. I had a chat with him when we were done about his beautiful handwriting, and how he should be very proud of it. (I also mentioned what a lovely punctilious little chap he was to his parents. Nice, polite, smart kid. I hope he goes far.)

I was taught cursive at school; we learned to print at 3, and I remember having lessons in cursive from when I was about 5. We all wanted to learn cursive (or "joined-up-handwriting"); it was what the *grown-ups* used. I'm 37; I don't think many schools these days approach the discipline, especially with younger kids, like mine did.

Edited by Centopar

Handwriting is quite a personal thing, and I would say contains an emotional component along with the usual artistic expression and the desire of communication.

Sometimes I wonder, are we losing skills of expression as well? I feel we may be deteriorating in terms of language in general, the vocabulary we use, and the things we talk about.

Don't you think people are awfully consumed with their phones and tablets? I seldom see anyone reading a book on the bus or train.

Maybe its because in the past people were the source of information and guidance. You'd ask others for help, now you just look it up on a computer.

I receive messages from others, usually a single line or two. In the digital world, only information has value. What about the human condition?

I haven't received a hand written letter since I was a kid. That was over 18 years ago. Heck, I haven't even seen a handwritten letter since.

Then the question is, whats being human like? Are we more human today than in the past, sitting in front of our phones and computers?

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Turn off all the power in the world. NO Computers!! Get your FP's out and make your

own ink and start writing again.. Technology in moderation.. I still use a dictionary

to check out a word that I am not quite sure how to spell. [ Book is next to this thing I am

pecking at.] There will always be a need for the written word.

Turn off all the power in the world. NO Computers!! Get your FP's out and make your

own ink and start writing again.. Technology in moderation.. I still use a dictionary

to check out a word that I am not quite sure how to spell. [ Book is next to this thing I am

pecking at.] There will always be a need for the written word.

I concur!

Whats the use of productivity if it doesn't let you enjoy your time?

I can't help but notice that our lives revolve around work. Working for someone else, doing someone else's work. Our technology seems to have evolved to eliminate all work related issues. That has been the guiding principle of our technological progress.

Everyone and everywhere talk about 'productivity' .

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

The problem here isn't really "the demise of handwriting", is it? It's the "demise of brains that have anything worthwhile to write about".

Writing requires more mental exercise than the virtual vomiting of words on the internet. Actual writing is a much slower process than typing away; average wpm typing is 40, while writing hovers around 30 longhand. Also, one is more selective of words when writing by hand; there's a different mental impact on actually writing out "go die" and typing that out.

Therefore, when one writes with a pen and ink, I think we put more value - and therefore more thought - into what we write before actually lettering out the words onto paper.

But what if your world was entirely comprised of video games, pop music that will probably be forgotten in three years, Twilight, and TV? I'm not saying any of it is bad, just like chocolate isn't a bad food per se, or an occasional chips... but just as a diet entirely comprised of junk food and soft drinks are all "empty calories", those materials aforementioned are, probably, "empty calories for the brain". If information is nourishment for the mind, you'd want some information with "nutritional" value too.

The problem, I think, isn't that people don't write. It's that they rarely have anything to write about, or the skill. A brain with no thoughts in it will not be able to produce writing, regardless of the medium.

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

The problem here isn't really "the demise of handwriting", is it? It's the "demise of brains that have anything worthwhile to write about".

Writing requires more mental exercise than the virtual vomiting of words on the internet. Actual writing is a much slower process than typing away; average wpm typing is 40, while writing hovers around 30 longhand. Also, one is more selective of words when writing by hand; there's a different mental impact on actually writing out "go die" and typing that out.

Therefore, when one writes with a pen and ink, I think we put more value - and therefore more thought - into what we write before actually lettering out the words onto paper.

But what if your world was entirely comprised of video games, pop music that will probably be forgotten in three years, Twilight, and TV? I'm not saying any of it is bad, just like chocolate isn't a bad food per se, or an occasional chips... but just as a diet entirely comprised of junk food and soft drinks are all "empty calories", those materials aforementioned are, probably, "empty calories for the brain". If information is nourishment for the mind, you'd want some information with "nutritional" value too.

The problem, I think, isn't that people don't write. It's that they rarely have anything to write about, or the skill. A brain with no thoughts in it will not be able to produce writing, regardless of the medium.

Appreciated reading your comment. Your perception of the matter is well thought out and accurate

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I think that weeping about the lost art of handwriting is both premature and missing the really important issue. Things are to a large extent HOW you do them. There is a relationship between the how and what. Language itself is at stake here. The inability to form complex sentences and reduction of ideas to a triviality. The lack of respect for the word and to intellectual pursuits . The lack of distinction between related words , nuances and degrees of expression. What really suffers is the thinking proses itself.

Why do schools go along with this ? Because they forgot what they are all about , or should be.

Yossi

I think that weeping about the lost art of handwriting is both premature and missing the really important issue. Things are to a large extent HOW you do them. There is a relationship between the how and what. Language itself is at stake here. The inability to form complex sentences and reduction of ideas to a triviality. The lack of respect for the word and to intellectual pursuits . The lack of distinction between related words , nuances and degrees of expression. What really suffers is the thinking proses itself.

Why do schools go along with this ? Because they forgot what they are all about , or should be.

Yossi

Well said.

- Alan Watts

I agree on the whole, but some observations.

-- In the past, a majority of the population didn't even have the privilege to think, most were busy toiling in factories for long hours everyday. We have that privilege, atleast to an extent.

-- Nowadays opinion is fed to people in a semi-digestible state. Most of what we see/hear/read on the news is opinion, not reporting. Social media plays a big role in this regard.

-- Our education has changed. Schools don't require kids to write, they use standardization to keep dissent in check.

-- An easy life is also a complacent one. There is a generation of people (including me) who haven't felt the wrath of war, or the joy of freedom, who haven't experienced the peaks and troughs of human behavior. Maybe we haven't been able to form as deeper a connection with ourselves as the generations before us? This adds to the point above, reading and understanding literature, sympathizing and reflecting and finally, writing requires a certain emotional maturity. The bubble hasn't burst for some of us.

Edited by proton007

- Alan Watts

Have you noticed some very big companies simply ignore a hand written letter ?

I've never written to a big company....care to explain more?

- Alan Watts

Speaking as a recent college graduate in engineering handwritten notes wont be going away anytime soon. I cant type circuit diagrams or math equations fast enough to make it worth while in class no matter what software I had.

In practice one reason handwriting is falling off is its inefficient. I simply cant write 30+ words a minute. I dont know anyone that can. That makes typing more common and used in workplaces because of how tight schedules tend to run

Really fascinating to look at the handwriting examples. Swift's looks very much like Thomas Jefferson's from the same era:

[...]

I think your comment that, "Very little of what I handwrite write is read by anyone else," explains why most current handwriting isn't as legible now. We don't use our handwriting for others to read.

When I decided to reform my handwriting a number of years ago, I wanted it to be readable by an unfamiliar third party, but like yours, most of it is for my eyes only. But there is a satisfaction in being able to write something someone else can read...

Doug

I think there is truth there, one day I will get around to putting in the practice and improving my writing style. Interestingly I thought Swift's was the 'best' in an orderly sense (perhaps typical of the day), but I liked Orwell's the most. HDoug, I remain an admirer of your hand!

I disagree, I think this generation produces at least as much material of value as the past. It surely produces more trash which will fall away in time, just as it ever has.

Part of my work is researching resistance and protest to service cutbacks (housing, homelessness etc.). These typically hit communities which don't have the same inculcated value in education or skills associated with knowledge. So many imperfectly formed expressions these days; less perfect, but less valid? Surely if there is hope, it lies in the proles?

[on the above quote ] Appreciated reading your comment. Your perception of the matter is well thought out and accurate

Unsurprising agreement with the demise of society...

[...] We are now living in a selfish generation without any regard or remorse for one another.

I find generational commentary ironic, I could equally argue that the older generation educated and parented the younger. Society is created and recreated in the actions of everyone. If one does not like society, one should do something about it.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Not much new in this debate. I'm just surprised it hasn't degenerated into a discussion about the use of apostrophes....... ;-)

I for one dislike generalisations about young people & how badly they compare to previous generations. I work with young people and yes, there are a few 'bad eggs' but more often than not I admire their energy, their quick brains, their imaginations, their confidence, their care for each other, their concern about important issues like the environment, crime and those worse off than themselves. I like how they use technology creatively, for art, design, music and composition. Yes, some are selfish, but then so were many in my generation (80s Britain anyone?). I know many young people who like writing traditionally and appreciate the time I spend with them on improving their handwriting, & also some who hate it. We can embrace new things whilst treasuring the old: after all plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Verba volant, scripta manent