Changing Nibs On A Guider Acrylic

diofrensi

Hey FPN!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I had a quick question regarding my Guider Acrylic.

I bought i with a stub nib from Fountain Pen REvolution but would prefer it with a broader (and slightly smoother) nib.

It is a gorgeous pen and I love using it whenever possible.

I have found some places which do sell #5 nibs, however their shipping (I live in Australia) is often more expensive than the cost of the nibs themselves. Does anyone know of a place which has reasonable postage/handling costs?

Thanks guys!

post-104019-0-90097700-1379229313.jpg

post-104019-0-12756400-1379229317.jpg

post-104019-0-76895300-1379229319.jpg

post-104019-0-61217600-1379229322.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diofrensi

• Seele

• mhguda

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could try xfountainpens. They have nibs in several sizes, very good and not too expensive (although you can hardly beat FPR's nib prices, can you?) and their international shipping is not too crazy. The usual disclaimers apply.

That Acrylic looks very nice! I bought a Guider Ebonite from the same source, also with the fine stub nib. I like it very much, but I must say the colorful version you have is tempting...

Another nice thing with the Guiders is how easy it is to change nibs. I've got one with a nib from a Jinhao 500; it was ground to an oblique italic by its previous owner but eventually found a home in my Guider Marala, where it performs perfectly.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thanks for the tip!

xfountainpens turned out to have the most reasonable shipping that I've been able to find so far. I ordered a knox broad x26 nib (I'm assuming that that will fit considering that the recommended feed width for it is 5mm, as opposed to the x35 which is 6mm), so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

You're welcome. I hope it works out. Please let us know once you try it.

I have a terrible feeling that the Guider uses No.2 nibs, which is common to most Indian pens. If the one in your Dilli is compatible then it's really a No.2. You can ask Kevin at FPR and see what he can do. Good luck!

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Hey Seele, I have not heard of a #2 nib before, but that's hardly news.

The Dilli and the Guider do share nib sizes and at the moment they both have FPR stub nibs in them however I thought they were still #5s?

I'll check up with Kevin but on the page on FPR Nibs and supplies (http://fountainpenrevolution.com/fpsupplies.html) he does note that they all are #5 nibs.

As I'm aware the nib unit size refers to the size of the feeder that they fit into, and both the Dilli and Guider's feeder unit seems to measure 5mm, however I could be very wrong.

I'll check with Kevin, and I'll also try out how the Knox nibs work out and I'll get back to you guys.

I do have to confer with Kevin again to fix that nib size rating thing. A No.5 nib is usually one that needs a 5.45mm diameter feed, total length 26mm, width around 7mm, and that's definitely not it. Nathan Tardif confirmed that it is really No.2.

I also bought a quantity of nibs from Kevin earlier, the Stub writes like a Fine Stub although the appearance does not look like a typical stub. Oddly enough the FPR-branded Fine can write a bit towards Medium, and the Ambitious-branded Fine is definitely a Medium for some reason.

Ah, raspberries!

That is a shame.

Thank you very much for that information, I really do appreciate it and I'll start searching for a #2...on that note, anyone know where one could find a broad #2?

I do have to confer with Kevin again to fix that nib size rating thing. A No.5 nib is usually one that needs a 5.45mm diameter feed, total length 26mm, width around 7mm, and that's definitely not it. Nathan Tardif confirmed that it is really No.2.

Seele, there is no standardisation or even general agreement on the nib size numbering between manufacturers. If there is indeed a standard nomenclature or even a broad agreement between manufacturers as to which number denotes what physical dimensions, kindly let us know. Pls confirm with Tardif, most probably when when he says no 2, he means the no 2. of Waterman's specifically.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hari, that's true enough that there's no industry standard of nib sizes, but here is a thread where it's mentioned that Nathan states the size as No.2; whichever way it is not No.5.

Hari, that's true enough that there's no industry standard of nib sizes, but here is a thread where it's mentioned that Nathan states the size as No.2; whichever way it is not No.5.

Seele, I hope you will find the following information useful.

A nib of Indian origin with designation no 5 measures 26mm in length, and 7mm shoulder width. which is roughly what a waterman's no 2 measures(slightly narrower shoulders if a nice flex nib). hence the confusion between No 2 prescription of Tardif and no 5 specified by a seller of Indian nibs.

OTOH, An Indian made nib designated no 2 will measure just 21mm length and roughly 6mm shoulder width.

so FPR is not wrong or inaccurate in his designation of nibs he sells.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So the package arrived in the mail today and I was most excited to try it out.

post-104019-0-60566900-1380426817.jpeg

I installed it without any problems and it started writing pretty much straight away. The nib itself is smooth and broad, but slightly prone to skipping in the initial strokes. I'm going to have a play around with it this afternoon.

post-104019-0-93573900-1380426825.jpeg

Thank you all for your help. I have attached a few pictures to show the difference.

post-104019-0-30700500-1380426833.jpegpost-104019-0-27013200-1380426839.jpegpost-104019-0-82527000-1380426847.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. That makes the pen look even better.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same pen coming, and I also plan to change out the nib with the k26 Knox #5. I have the full set of nibs. I must say the set of nibs are quite reasonable in price.

Yes it does look much better. I am going to try that as well.

Did you say a Waterman #2 nib also fits in a Guider? Has anyone tried it?