#1 JC107

JC107

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2013 - 22:24

I wrote the samples in the image below on a page of Rhodia 80 g/m 5 mm grid white paper using a Pelikan M400 14K fine point nib.  (The original photo is 3.9 Mb so I had to save it as a TIFF file to get it below the 1.95 Mb limit - no noticeable loss of color or detail.)  I cut the page vertically and kept the left half in a notebook, and placed the right half in the sun for approximately 50 hours.  The inks used in their order of appearance in the sample writing were: J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche; Pelikan Royal Blue; Levenger Cobalt Blue; J. Herbin Bleu Azur; and J. Herbin Café des Îles.  

Some observations I thought you might find useful:

The Pelikan Royal Blue ink faded the most, and the Levenger Cobalt Blue seemed entirely unaffected.  The J. Herbin Bleu Azur was second most affected and the J. Herbin Café des Îles was second least affected.  I was surprised at how the Pelikan Royal Blue faded almost into invisibility, and was not surprised about the J. Herbin Bleu Azur being strongly affected by light.  I was very pleased that my favorite inks, the J. Herbin Café des Îles and the J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche were nearly unaffected and can therefore be expected to last indefinitely under normal document storage conditions.  I wonder if the Pelikan Royal Blue is more susceptible to fading from other environmental conditions as badly as it is under bright light? 

Attached Files

#2 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! - Always happy to enable.

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2013 - 00:53

Very nice.  That JHerbin Cafe lasted much better than I would have expected.

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice.

#3 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:27

I seem to recall that the Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue has a reputation for fading anyway - eventually even in books. It probably takes a while though.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"
LetterExchange_sm.png

#4 BCL-2

BCL-2

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:13

What a pity for the Pelikan royal blue... Both that and the Café came as a surprise to me.

I'm not crazy about archival quality but such fading as the royal blue exhibits is definitely an issue for me...

2 Parker Frontiers, 1 Lamy Safari, 1 MB 146, 1 Pilot MR and new friends: M805 in blue and an M 420. Yay!

Current holy grail: Caran d'Ache Leman Bicolor in saffron or possibly white. Not yet sure.

#5 CobraKai

CobraKai

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:28

I did an 8 month on my inks.  Only had one that totally disappeared.

Owe nothing to anyone—except for your obligation to love one another. If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the requirements of God’s law.

#6 BCL-2

BCL-2

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2013 - 20:30

Which one was that?

2 Parker Frontiers, 1 Lamy Safari, 1 MB 146, 1 Pilot MR and new friends: M805 in blue and an M 420. Yay!

Current holy grail: Caran d'Ache Leman Bicolor in saffron or possibly white. Not yet sure.

#7 CobraKai

CobraKai

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:06

Noodlers Comanche Rouge
Owe nothing to anyone—except for your obligation to love one another. If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the requirements of God’s law.

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! - Always happy to enable.

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2013 - 18:44

Which is totally sad because it was my favorite.

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sunlight, fading, color change, lightfastness, light fastness