Has Anyone Purchased This P61 Tool?

Penne Stilografiche

I recently purchased a tool to disassemble my Parker 61's and it arrived a couple days ago. I used it as directed yet it was unhelpful, it just scratched the capillary filler and did not help in removing it. Has anyone had similar problems using this tool?

Regards,

Vincenzo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-61-Fountain-Pen-s-Multifunction-Tool-New-/261285534751?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penne Stilografiche

• Paul80

• icardoth

• watch_art

Is it supposed to grip the filler or the threaded piece so you can remove the hood? Looks like it has threads and should grip the metal threaded part of your pen.

This tools is intended to grip the threads, so the capillary filler should not touch the tool. You should warm the section to release the shellac and use section pliers to remove it.

This tools is intended to grip the threads, so the capillary filler should not touch the tool. You should warm the section to release the shellac and use section pliers to remove it.

The tool was completely tightened, covering the threads up to the hood. For some reason when I turned it to try to separate the hood from the rest of the pen, the remaining part of the threaded aluminum on the tool would somehow dig into the capillary filler, leaving marks and removing the black covering.

When I used it, I did heat the section with a hair dryer, then I put this tool and the threads and gripped the hood with a grip pad, and then I turned the hood to the left. All it did was leave marks on the capillary filler. To make sure that it was not just the pen, I tried to use this tool on 2 other Parker 61's and it did not work on those either.

Do you think it is not working because I'm using a grip pad verses section pliers? Also, where do you get section pliers?

Thanks and Regards,

Vincenzo

—Oscar Wilde

section pliers = nice rubber covered spark plug wire pullers from auto parts store.

:blush: Silly me, I though they were another type of tool specifically made for Parkers... :doh:

Thanks for the help,

Vincenzo

—Oscar Wilde

You want to turn the threaded collar not the hood.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You want to turn the threaded collar not the hood.

I know. I meant to say I was gripping the hood with a grip pad while turning the tool that was latched on to the threads to the left. Sorry for the confusion. :blush:

—Oscar Wilde

This tool looks like it could be useful. I often take the sections of my Parker 61s for a thorough clean of the collector or to change nibs.

Can you let us know if you manage to get it to work as advertised?

David.

Hi

Unless there is a fault with the tool when it is clamped to the Nib Sections Thread, the thread that the barrel screws onto any overhanging thread should not touch the Capillary Chamber. so either there is a fault with the clamp or a fault in the users technique.

It should be easy enough to see if its working properly as once clamped on properly when the hood is turned the Ink chamber should not, if the chamber is turning as the hood is turned then the clamp is not tight enough.

Paul

It seems you are using the tool in the right way. The only thing I can think about is dried ink acting like cement. Did you flush the section before proceeding?

I personally consider the P61 as difficult to disassembly. Most times I finish the work with a destroyed pen. The section is fragile and the arrow is easy to separate from the hood. I will never work on a 61 again.

Do you think that the pens are devalued because of the damage to their capillary cells? Also, is it possible to recoat a capillary cell?

Thanks

-Vincenzo

—Oscar Wilde

Do you think that the pens are devalued because of the damage to their capillary cells? Also, is it possible to recoat a capillary cell?

Thanks

-Vincenzo

Yes.

No.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Yes.

No.

:doh: To make it even worse, I also bought one of these stupid tools to dismantle Parker 51's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-51-Aero-Vac-Fountain-Pen-s-Multifunction-Tool-New-/380666428660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a17cbcf4

Edited by Penne Stilografiche

—Oscar Wilde

The tool looks badly designed, in that the two plates have nothing to keep them parallel. Once clamped upon the connector, tightening the plates will cause them to pinch the capillary unit housing, too. No wonder it is doing damage.

I suppose that could easily happen if its over tightened especially as there is no easy way of not over tightening it. For the money charged it should have a couple of adjustable stop screws to set how close the two side can get, thus eliminating the crush effect.

Paul

:doh: To make it even worse, I also bought one of these stupid tools to dismantle Parker 51's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-51-Aero-Vac-Fountain-Pen-s-Multifunction-Tool-New-/380666428660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a17cbcf4

Some time ago I also bought this tool in the "all-purpose" 4-hole version, designed to accomodate 51s, 61s and Vacs. I used it to dismantle mostly 51s, and it worked perfectly for me.

Hi

I have tried a few different tools for Vacumatic and Aero 51 repairs and found the version sold here to be the best. http://www.penpractice.com/page3.html There is no 61 tool available yet, I have asked Laurence if he could make one though, I will post an update if he replies.

Paul

Had a reply from Laurence at PenPractice and yes they do have one of their tools to fit the Capillary 61 Hood, £19 plus postage, had mine delivered today. If you have not uses his before its also well worth adding the Robo Grips he does as well as he is only asking another £10 which is half what they should be..

He does the removal tools for Both sizes of Vacumatic Pumps, 51 Aerometric and 61 Capillary, all only £19 each plus £10 for one of the Robo Grips. well worth it if you are into doing your own repairs. And would pay for themselves in no time if you normally send your pens away for repair.

Paul

Edited by Paul80