How One Falls In Love

Daisy25

First, it comes as a surprise. You're looking elsewhere (say at a Parker "51") and you're filling out a pen order and you can get a NOS Second Sheaffer 444 cheap. "Why not?" you say. And then . . .

post-101743-0-87218300-1379045597_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's a little speckled. It is not, you might observe, the Brad Pitt of the pen world. But the nib is silky smooth and the flow so even and steady . . . what it lacks in beauty, it makes up for in utter reliability. "Hmmmmm," you say.

And then, because you're a bit curious, you attach yourself to a NOS 330.

post-101743-0-71339700-1379045764_thumb.jpg

It's pretty, but a little light weight and a little plastic-y. At first impression, you are a little disappointed. Except you keep picking it up and the more you handle it, the more you fall, the smooth nib, the easy handling, the great flow, the beautiful line it puts down. Yup. It's love. Which, of course, leads you further on.

post-101743-0-71432500-1379045914_thumb.jpg

And your 444XG with the cursive italic nib combines all the previous virtues with the surprise of making you look good. Who knew?

Another 444XG, because, apparently, your heart is simply too bountiful to restrict itself to one pen.

post-101743-0-45579100-1379046059_thumb.jpg

Till finally, because love has slid into obsession, and there are times you want to step out and up, a Targa. Ahhhh!

post-101743-0-82670700-1379046122_thumb.jpg

And there it is. Sheaffer is not really the pen brand I expected to fall in love with, but love snuck up on me. Lucky me.

My Pen Wraps and Sleeves for Sale Here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaisyFair

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daisy25

• bernardo

• OcalaFlGuy

• wastelanded

The guys and gals in Fort Madison made really smooth nibs, and they were as smooth on the school pens and No-Nonsence models as they were on the PFMs and Targas.

Great post!

There's something about those inlaid nibs, and the smoothness of the line... I have a 440 with an extra-fine nib that's almost as fine as some of my Binderized nibs.

Whatever you do, though, don't start looking at all the finishes of the Targas; that way lies unholy lust and madness.

congrats on your sheaffers :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

If you're not careful, some cougar of an Imperial IV or VI will come along and seduce you....

Uh-oh. I just looked on Google.

There's something about those inlaid nibs, and the smoothness of the line... I have a 440 with an extra-fine nib that's almost as fine as some of my Binderized nibs.

Whatever you do, though, don't start looking at all the finishes of the Targas; that way lies unholy lust and madness.

I see the problem. I have a Targa and it's lovely. But I only have one, so what if I lose it or drop it? Then I wouldn't have any! A back up Targa is really, simply, the better path of wisdom. But if I only have two then I only can have two of those lovely finishes. And if I lost one, then I would only have one left!

Danger, danger, Will Robinson! Unholy lust and madness ahead!

GREAT post Daisy. I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. A couple teasers for you.

DSC00453.JPG

2012-07-06_13-21-004.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I fell in love with fountain pens thanks to Sheaffer and ther inlaid nibs on the 44X models. Nice post.

I can't believe how good these nibs are. It's been a discovery.

GREAT post Daisy. I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. A couple teasers for you.

DSC00453.JPG

2012-07-06_13-21-004.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Gorgeous. Evil temptation, but gorgeous.

Great collection, congrats! :thumbup:

What can I say? My first FP was an Imperial 777; have 8 of them today, plus Snorkels, PFM's and more...

I'll always have a weekness for Sheaffers... :)

Great story, I loved it. I messed around with some other things, but I've come back to Sheaffer. As randyholhut says above, any Sheaffer nib was a good nib back in the day. My 40 year-old school pen is still working, and still smooth.

Wait til you catch Snorkel fever.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Gotta love those Sheaffer Imperials, can't have enough of them. And beautiful handwriting Daisy25!

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

Gotta love those Sheaffer Imperials, can't have enough of them. And beautiful handwriting Daisy25!

i'll agree with that, though the cheap 100's are by far my favorite right now. :puddle: