Disc-Bound Notebooks - Are The Refills Etc Interchangeable?

Plume145

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions for covers, I am not thrilled with the selection at levenger - seems like for the price I should be able to get my choice of colors!

To answer someones question, I use Levenger and Arc paper interchangeably, I like the different formats for different types of notes.

I am still looking for a nice cover, may have to try a refillable journal cover...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wikeh2004

• Plume145

• Erica Kline

• Omnias

Renaissance Art makes leather covers for Circa notebooks. http://www.renaissance-art.com/catg141/categoryMaster.aspx

Oberon Design's journal covers will fit a 5.5" x 8.5" journal, so they may fit a Circa.

You don't have to use a cover specifically designed for a Circa/ARC notebook. Any cover that has a slot or flap that will allow the back cover of the notebook to slide in would work. I'm using a couple of older Levenger leather folios that were meant for something else, but the notebooks fit just fine. I like covers that have pockets and a pen loop.

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions for covers, I am not thrilled with the selection at levenger - seems like for the price I should be able to get my choice of colors!

To answer someones question, I use Levenger and Arc paper interchangeably, I like the different formats for different types of notes.

I am still looking for a nice cover, may have to try a refillable journal cover...

Edited by wikeh2004

Renaissance Art makes leather covers for Circa notebooks. http://www.renaissance-art.com/catg141/categoryMaster.aspx

Oberon Design's journal covers will fit a 5.5" x 8.5" journal, so they may fit a Circa.

You don't have to use a cover specifically designed for a Circa/ARC notebook. Any cover that has a slot or flap that will allow the back cover of the notebook to slide in would work. I'm using a couple of older Levenger leather folios that were meant for something else, but the notebooks fit just fine. I like covers that have pockets and a pen loop.

Aloha, Wikeh!

I have been eyeing Oberon's covers, but I am not sure about that string and button closure, I think that would bug me. Plus I don't see any pockets for my cell phone and business cards.

I like a pocket, a pen loop and a closure - doesn't seem like a lot to ask?

Maybe I will troll Amazon and Ebay for old Levenger covers.

Thanks,

Erica

The one I use most right now is a Levenger Action Folio, which was made to hold 3x5 index cards in multiple slots in the covers. But, it had a pocket in the back cover that would fit a Circa, so it was just perfect. Got it on their eBay outlet site. Lots of pockets and a pen loop and it zips shut.

There's a couple of covers on Levenger's eBay site that would work. Here's one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEVENGER-CIRCA-PRO-FOLIO-JUNIOR-BLACK-UNUSED-OVERSTOCK-/161451369902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25974065ae

Here's one that has a cell phone pocket. Letter size though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEVENGER-CIRCA-SMARTPLANNER-FOLIO-LETTER-UNUSED-/161452312176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25974ec670

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEVENGER-CIRCA-PRO-FOLIO-JUNIOR-RED-UNUSED-/361083198263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54123c5b37

Here's an unusual color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Levenger-Circa-Jacket-Leather-Junior-/351201275855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c53a2fcf

Aloha, Wikeh!

I have been eyeing Oberon's covers, but I am not sure about that string and button closure, I think that would bug me. Plus I don't see any pockets for my cell phone and business cards.

Thanks,

Erica

Edited by wikeh2004

Hi Erica,

I contacted Oberon Designs about their journal cover. The Junior size Circa notebook is 6.5" wide including the rings, and 8.5" high. The Oberon cover takes a 5.5" x 8.5" journal. One could trim the plastic cover of the Circa notebook about 0.5", but that still leaves it 0.5" too wide. So, I don't think the Oberon will work. Too bad because it's a beautiful piece of work. Like you, I prefer a cover with a few pockets and a pen loop. One could add a pen loop with some of the self-adhesive ones from Levenger or Leuchturm, but that's not the same as built-in. Oh well, keep on looking.

Aloha, Wikeh!

Thanks,

Erica

Erica,

Here's something to consider. A Lihit Lab Smart Fit notebook cover. It's not leather, but it has pockets for pens, cell phone (or something similar) etc. It may fit a Circa notebook. I ordered one from Amazon and will give it a try.

LIHITLAB Smart Fit Multifunction Cover Notebook A5 Navy
by LIHITLAB
Link: http://amzn.com/B00BBNNYF8

Aloha, Wikeh!

Thanks,

Erica

Well, A4 is close to 8.5" x 11" letter size. Staples, OfficeDepot and others make disc bound notebooks in that size, besides Levenger. Levenger makes plastic covered letter-size notebooks for as low as $22. The leather ones get expensive. I don't know who makes A4 sized disc notebooks, unless it's Myndology. You could make your own in almost any size you want if you can get the cover material and have a punch.

Found this by searching. http://reviews.shopwritersbloc.com/notepads-paper/clairefontaine-clairing-disc-bound-notebooks.html

http://www.shopwritersbloc.com/discbound.html

What would you guys recommend for an A4 sized notebook? The $100 Levenger is just a bit too premium...

Edited by wikeh2004

Wouldn't cover material be too thick to punch? My concern is A4 size is 11.7 ines long, whereas letter is just 11 inches long, so while many letter covers may be fine in width, they may not be long enough, as they would have to be around 12 inches long. Where could l find cover material?

The desktop punch can handle reasonably thick plastic. I've found flexible plastic cutting boards in fairly large sizes that you can cut to size. The punch can easily handle those. For small 3x5 or smaller notepads, I've punched Oxford plastic index card tabs to use as covers. Sorry, I don't know the dimensions of these.

Oxford® Poly Card Guides, A-Z, 3in. x 5in., Assorted Colors
by Esselte
Link: http://amzn.com/B0000AQOET

I just eyeballed the index card guides with a ruler, and it looks to be about 0.6 mm thick. Don't have a caliper for precise measurement. But, the punch could do these, albeit only one at a time and with a little difficulty.

If you're going to be punching a lot of cover material, it might be a good idea to get Levenger's Leverage Circa punch or similar, which allows you to punch thicker material. Punching an A4 size cover with their regular desk punch may prove to be a bit too difficult.

Wouldn't cover material be too thick to punch? My concern is A4 size is 11.7 ines long, whereas letter is just 11 inches long, so while many letter covers may be fine in width, they may not be long enough, as they would have to be around 12 inches long. Where could l find cover material?

oooh, it's nice to see this thread continued to be useful to people long after most of my own questions were answered! kind of warm 'n' fuzzy lol Since then I've left disc-bound notebooks behind altogether because I just could never get used to the fact that you had to put in the pages only one or two at a time, and how you had to sort of push the pages into place around the wee plastic discs. Lately I've been more into the two systems I linked to towards the bottom of the OP, particularly the Twist Rings system from Lihit Lab, which I love love love and HIGHLY recommend!

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

Well, I got the Lihit Lab Smart Fit Multifunction Cover today. Unfortunately, a stock Circa Junior notebook will not fit without trimming the plastic covers. The Lihit Lab cover is made for A5 notebooks, and it does fit a Seven Seas Writer or a Hobonichi Cousin planner.

Erica,

Here's something to consider. A Lihit Lab Smart Fit notebook cover. It's not leather, but it has pockets for pens, cell phone (or something similar) etc. It may fit a Circa notebook. I ordered one from Amazon and will give it a try.

LIHITLAB Smart Fit Multifunction Cover Notebook A5 Navy
by LIHITLAB
Link: http://amzn.com/B00BBNNYF8

Hi Plume145,

I tried the A5 Twist Ring notebook that came with the Smart Fit cover. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed with the notebook paper, and I can't find any US sources for the A5 refill paper anyway. So, that's a non-starter. Their Semi-B5 and Memo size paper are readily available. The cover won't fit Circa notebooks, but I'm using another A5 notebook in it, which works great.

oooh, it's nice to see this thread continued to be useful to people long after most of my own questions were answered! kind of warm 'n' fuzzy lol Since then I've left disc-bound notebooks behind altogether because I just could never get used to the fact that you had to put in the pages only one or two at a time, and how you had to sort of push the pages into place around the wee plastic discs. Lately I've been more into the two systems I linked to towards the bottom of the OP, particularly the Twist Rings system from Lihit Lab, which I love love love and HIGHLY recommend!