Scratches On Body Of Heritage 1912 (Resin) Caused By Pen Cap

syte

Hello Members,

This is my first post.

I purchased this pen about 3 weeks ago and have been using it daily. But i noticed that the body of the pen is constantly being scratched by the pen cap. The scraches on the body, (circumventing around the pen) is about 1cm up from the end of the pen cap.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• syte

• isaacrn

• KJY

• thott

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to FPN!

Many congrats with your nice pen.

Yes, I have noticed the micro scratches too. This happens to any shiny pen. Some members will buy a polish to buff it up.

It is caused when you cap/uncap the pen, due to the friction some micro scratches can be seen. Nothing to worry about. My 149 also has it.

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

I think you will find it on most pens (if not even all) with screwed cap.

The gap between cap and barrel are often so small that you can not avoide it due to the

thread clearance..

E.g. Pelicans.

On my pelicans I can also find scratches at the barrel circumference close to the end of the cap.

But in your case, could it be that the Heritage is more sensible for it, because the cap thread is very

close to the nib.

Therfore it could be more easy to tilt the cap (and touching the barrel) due to the thread clearance

and the long distance from thread to the end of the cap ?

IMHO

Greetings

Thomas

I figured this would happen after I took it out of the packaging. There is just no way that the pen wont ding about when recapping. I guess it just goes with the territory. Ultimately you have you ask yourself if the pen is to be used, or is it for show. I know at that price point you shouldnt have to compromise, but i suppose it is what it is.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks all for the response. I agree that through constant use, scratches will develop sooner or later and with that shiny body and small gap between pen and cap, it is just inevitable during caping and uncapping. But for the pen to scratch itself is a little dissapointing - especially when the scratches are are evenly spread around the circumference making a nice 'ring' around it. But I guess over time, it will be of even 'height'. :-p

update: I just spoke with Mont Blanc shortly and they said that it's the first feedback so far, and their own working pen didn't have any scratches so far. They asked for the pen to be sent back to them. Let's see how that goes.

Thanks all for the response. I agree that through constant use, scratches will develop sooner or later and with that shiny body and small gap between pen and cap, it is just inevitable during caping and uncapping. But for the pen to scratch itself is a little dissapointing - especially when the scratches are are evenly spread around the circumference making a nice 'ring' around it. But I guess over time, it will be of even 'height'. :-p

update: I just spoke with Mont Blanc shortly and they said that it's the first feedback so far, and their own working pen didn't have any scratches so far. They asked for the pen to be sent back to them. Let's see how that goes.

I can only really see this being an issue for MB down the line so to speak. With everyone having some scratches on their pens and wanting a replacement. It will be interesting to see what they do for you.

Not saying that this is whats is going on in your case, of course.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Mine also has a noticeable scratch on the barrel from the cap screwing down. At first, it bothered me but now I just accept it as part of the charm.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Members,

I thought I should just update everyone here and close this thread. I received the pen back from Mont Blanc and as noted by a few on this thread, the scratches are a result of normal use. Thinking it through, it will be acceptable, just like using a aluminium Rimowa luggage. It does adds character. If you want to keep it pristine, well, just don't use it. :-p

Thanks to all.

p.s. At the same time, i also sent back to MB my old (80s i think) 146 fountain pen because after getting the Heritage, the ink just did't flow as smooth. After getting it back from the service, the pen writes beautifully and very smooth. I can't believe what a difference it was because as I have used the pen continuously through the years, I probably just grew accustomed to faults it developed. Now it is quiet, inky and really nice with MB midnight blue ink.

Great service from MB!

I think you will find it on most pens (if not even all) with screwed cap.

The gap between cap and barrel are often so small that you can not avoide it due to the

thread clearance..

E.g. Pelicans.

On my pelicans I can also find scratches at the barrel circumference close to the end of the cap.

But in your case, could it be that the Heritage is more sensible for it, because the cap thread is very

close to the nib.

Therfore it could be more easy to tilt the cap (and touching the barrel) due to the thread clearance

and the long distance from thread to the end of the cap ?

IMHO

Greetings

Thomas

:thumbup: Right!

The vintage KAWECO to solve or avoid this problem have, in the inner of cap, a simple thin plastic ring.

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

Hi,

This is a very common problem with many screw-cap pens. Pretty much all Pelikans I have handled in my shop that have the screw cap that have been used have these marks. There are some designs that avoid it, like the Aurora Optima mini, many Pilot Custom pens, and some Sailor Professional Gear models. The Nakaya design also seems not to have this problem. The modern Aurora Optima and 88 get this, but it's usually inside the cap, not on the outside of the pen, so it's hidden. It doesn't seem to affect the auroloide Aurora Optimas though. I've seen some Montblanc 146 and 149 with scratches on the body from the cap, but I've also seen some without, but I never made note of that in my records. They don't seem to get the marks as badly as many Pelikans I have seen do. Also, some Pelikan sizes seem to get them less than others. The Montblanc Diva collection avoids this problem entirely by making the section never touch the inside of the outer cap and only the inner cap and putting the threads on the cap lip.

This topic was also discussed before about the 1912 here

So, why exactly do we hear about this problem just now, rather than before? My guess is that with the safety pen type design, it's more noticeable since you have a whole expanse of shiny material that is only broken by a band of scratches made by the cap.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon