Picture Review Of We 2013 Honoré De Balzac

KJY

Hi friends,

Hereby a new topic to show my latest acquisition.

Writers Edition 2013 Honoré de Balzac.

It was after workingtime when I received my package from my crackdealer/supplier (real addicted to those pens).

So hadn't time to unpack it. When he handed over to me the first thing I noticed was the larger and heavier package than usual.

First thought was: did he make a mistake and ordered the set for me? He told me that it really was just the fountainpen.

Here I have made some pictures with comparison together with the WE bookbox of the earlier WE-pens.

fpn_1378334141__package_balzac.jpg

fpn_1378334166__package_balzac3.jpg

Partly explanation is that my dealer had requested for an immediate nibexchange (M into B ) so I didn't have to wait for at least 2 months again. This year MB decided not to deliver the WE directly with a B nib. Still wondering why, because most of the people on this forum likes/wants broad nibs. The regular Balzacs (with F or M nib) were released to the dealers last week. Mine had spent some extra days at Hamburg for the nib exchange.

fpn_1378334185__extra_box_balzac.jpg

fpn_1378334210__extra_box_balzac2.jpg

fpn_1378334263__unpacking_balzac2.jpg

The other part of the explanation why it is bigger and heavier than normal is that the bookbox has grown in size and the used material.

Now it really looks like a book and the spare space to put the pen is cut out of the paper. Nice gimmick is that the first few pages are from its well known work "La Comédie Humaine". The important pendetails are based on this book like the several rings in cap, section, pistonknob.

fpn_1378334236__bookbox_balzac.jpg

fpn_1378334296__balzac_cap.jpg

fpn_1378334326__balzac_fp.jpg

After unpacking I flushed the pen with water a few times and filled it with the De Balzac ink. Inkcolour looks like the turquoise colour that is used for the bookbox. I have included a writingsample for reference. I noticed that the nib width is slight broader than I normal used to have from other WE's. The overall performance is like the other WE's from at least the last two years. Stiff nib, flow is great, the writing characteristics are stubbish. Nice broad vertical lines and thinner horizontal lines. I like it very much because the tekst I write gets more body. The only thing is that I have to write bit bigger than I used to to prevent to have unreadible letters due to the broader nib. (See first line of tekst).

fpn_1378334412__balzac_writingsample.jpg

fpn_1378334358__balzac3.jpg

The size is like other WE's that are based on the 146. I took for comparison a photo with the Thomas Mann.

fpn_1378334377__balzac_-_mann.jpg

Normally I think the look of the nib is the most interesting part of a WE pen, but this time I think it isn't that spectacular. You can see the initials of Honoré de Balzac are engraved in the nib in an old 18-19 century lettertype. It is not that I don't like it, I am only used to spend a lot of time to try to capture the nib on the photo with all its details. This time I just didn't think much of it.

fpn_1378334345__balzac_nib2.jpg

Overall:

A nice pen to look at with its grey body. The weigth is also a bit heavy especially when it is made of lacquered resin. I think it is comparable with the Mann. That penbody is made of lacquered metal. If I look at the sectionthreads of the HB it is also made of metal. So I don't know how accurate the information is that Montblanc supplies on its website.

Performance is ofcourse good like any other version of the Writers Edition and Montblanc suprised me with the change of the bookboxstyle.

Thanks for watching and feel free to leave a comment or ask me questions about this pen.

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KJY

• Pen2009

• pmhudepo

• sunnerd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review, thanks :)

I agree on the nib not being so spectacular. I do like the engraving and two tones of the initials, but I think the upper engraved lines don't really belong there.

This pen isn't really for me, I don't really like the stripes being so wide and feel a missed chance with them not being translucent.

I do like the shape of the pen, the flat top on the cap, and the way they made the metal threads stand out more as on other pens somehow :)

Enjoy it!

Hi KJY thanks for the review and the great pics. i handled one of these a couple of weeks ago. I did not walk out with it as it was reserved for another customer, but it is definitely on my to buy list.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Thank you very much for finally posting some good pictures. Its a nice looking pen. Hopefully I can pick one up on the secondary market soon.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Congratulations on your newest acquisition! It's beautiful.

Thanks for posting your gorgeous photos. I especially appreciate the unpackaging photos so we can vicariously share in your experience. I'm always impressed with the restraint it takes to do this, patiently stopping to take photos for your FPN mates, instead of immediately removing the pen and writing with it. Your photos are terrific.

The new book box is quick clever. I like the turquoise accoutrement on this pen and the turquoise ink is a nice touch.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting.

I had buy this pen last friday and I´am happy with this famous pen. Actually the new special Balzc ink is my favorite. The turquoise colour of this ink is perfect for the Balzac.

This is a very nice review with great photos. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I saw and handled this pen at a MB Boutique a couple of weeks ago. I liked it much better in person than via photos. Indeed, it is a very nice pen, yet I am hesitant to buy it -- feeling a bit ambivalent. Reality is, the next time I am in the Boutique I'll probably buy the pen on an impulse!

Congratulations on your new pen! It looks really nice, although I am more of a fan of the Meisterstuck line.

Thank you. I know what you mean. Meisterstück is more plain and and have distinguished business attitude.

Nice review, thanks :)

I agree on the nib not being so spectacular. I do like the engraving and two tones of the initials, but I think the upper engraved lines don't really belong there.

This pen isn't really for me, I don't really like the stripes being so wide and feel a missed chance with them not being translucent.

I do like the shape of the pen, the flat top on the cap, and the way they made the metal threads stand out more as on other pens somehow :)

Enjoy it!

I too would like it be translucent. Maybe Pelikan has patent on it??

Thank you!

Hi KJY thanks for the review and the great pics. i handled one of these a couple of weeks ago. I did not walk out with it as it was reserved for another customer, but it is definitely on my to buy list.

You are welcome! Hope you will get yours soon.

Thank you very much for finally posting some good pictures. Its a nice looking pen. Hopefully I can pick one up on the secondary market soon.

Yes, I was to excited to see it in person. I also pre-ordered without seeing it. Hope you will find one soon for a right price.

Appelboom

Congratulations on your newest acquisition! It's beautiful.

Thanks for posting your gorgeous photos. I especially appreciate the unpackaging photos so we can vicariously share in your experience. I'm always impressed with the restraint it takes to do this, patiently stopping to take photos for your FPN mates, instead of immediately removing the pen and writing with it. Your photos are terrific.

The new book box is quick clever. I like the turquoise accoutrement on this pen and the turquoise ink is a nice touch.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you!

I have learned a lot from several members. This my only way to contribute to this forum in a value-added way...

I too was suprised I could wait to open the box. But when I saw the different packaging I told myself to hold on and share it with my friends.

The ink really stand out. I noticed at work that the text draws more attention. I normally use Royal Blue of MB.

Good to highlight and accentuate important things.

Appelboom

This is a very nice review with great photos. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I saw and handled this pen at a MB Boutique a couple of weeks ago. I liked it much better in person than via photos. Indeed, it is a very nice pen, yet I am hesitant to buy it -- feeling a bit ambivalent. Reality is, the next time I am in the Boutique I'll probably buy the pen on an impulse!

Thank you very much!

In the writers edition series it is pen different pen. More colourful and a lot of details on the body and cap than for example last year's edition.

So if you can miss the money I would definitely give it a second look. If you want to prevent an impulse buy stay far away from those crackdealers!! :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Appelboom

I didn't think I would like this pen but boy was I wrong. It is beautiful and the nib IMO is clean and classy. The whole design exudes class.

Many congratulations on your new pen KJY. Really appreciate you taking the time to share as generously as you have. Thank you.

The only WE I have is the Thomas Mann so I was thankful I saw your excellent post comparing the two. :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Thanks for sharing the unveiling of the pen! Such great pictures and enjoyed seeing them all. Pen looks great. Enjoy the pen and thanks again for the share.

This looks much more enticing in your photos than in Montblanc's own. The shape of the body really appeals to me, as does the gold and turquoise band on the cap. Count me as one who likes the understated nib as well.

I love your pictures and they have made me appreciate this pen more but I still don't like the striping on the barrel and the shape of the blind cap. But, I love the design of the cap.

Thank's for the wonderful pictures!

I've handled one a few weeks ago when getting my Heritage.

I really liked in - especially the little ornaments wirh the turquoise decoration - so I plan on getting one for Christmas (since I'm alreaddy getting myself a performance exhaust for my birthday :-) ).

Enjoy your pen in good health.

Cheers from Germany

Michael

I didn't think I would like this pen but boy was I wrong. It is beautiful and the nib IMO is clean and classy. The whole design exudes class.

Thanks for sharing the unveiling of the pen! Such great pictures and enjoyed seeing them all. Pen looks great. Enjoy the pen and thanks again for the share.

This looks much more enticing in your photos than in Montblanc's own. The shape of the body really appeals to me, as does the gold and turquoise band on the cap. Count me as one who likes the understated nib as well.

I love your pictures and they have made me appreciate this pen more but I still don't like the striping on the barrel and the shape of the blind cap. But, I love the design of the cap.

Thank you all for the really nice comments. I appreciate it. Wow and your words are real flattering about the photos.

For me it is a joy too that I can share it with you.

Appelboom

Many congratulations on your new pen KJY. Really appreciate you taking the time to share as generously as you have. Thank you.

The only WE I have is the Thomas Mann so I was thankful I saw your excellent post comparing the two. :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Thank you Pavoni.

It is a real compliment if you say that like the photos. You are very gifted in taking excellent pictures.

I think the weight of the Balzac is really comparable with the Mann, so I took this one as reference.

Appelboom

Thank's for the wonderful pictures!

I've handled one a few weeks ago when getting my Heritage.

I really liked in - especially the little ornaments wirh the turquoise decoration - so I plan on getting one for Christmas (since I'm alreaddy getting myself a performance exhaust for my birthday :-) ).

Enjoy your pen in good health.

Cheers from Germany

Michael

Thank you!

Your "excuses" sounds so familiar. :D

Every time I am looking for excuses to buy a new pen.

Hope you will have a Merry Xmas soon (somewhere end of September :lticaptd: )!

Appelboom