Visconti Voyager

Namo

Please, forgive my bad English - thank you!

I've always been hesitant to buy a Visconti. I usually don't like "bling-bling" (or only when it's "hardcore" bling-bling) and highly marketed brands, and in my eyes, Visconit is all of that, an Italian Montblanc. And all the stories about QC problems were not helping of course. And. I hate the banner-clip. Really.

But I've been totally amazed by the Homo Sapiens, a pen I would have kept if not for the grip, a feature I still don't understand.

fpn_1378304606__voyager2.jpg

In the Visconti Stable, I've always liked the Voyager model, a soft design with a beautiful clip (a sail on a wave).

fpn_1378304698__voyager10.jpg

This is a very sober pen; sober but not annoying or sad. There is something very sensuous and warm about the general design of the pen.

fpn_1378304645__voyager3.jpg

Several weeks ago, I came across a e-bay sale (I was just cleaning my computer, and e-bay just happend...) of a bright orange Voyager, made by Visconti for Rebecca Moss store in New York (now closed I understand). There were several models fr sale and the ending prices seemed more than reasonnable. So I got lucky and ended with this beauty... :)

fpn_1378304668__voyager6.jpg

Now, to the pen.

I already talked about the design. Let me add a few points. The pen is rather long, a bit longer than a Safari, which is nice since I can use it posted or not. The balance of the pen is excellent in both cases. Posted, the pen is 17,5cm (about 7 in.) and unposted about 13,5cm (5 3/8in.), a size I do find comfortable. This is a long pen, but not a fat one though. The flat top, cilindrical design gives a slender look to the pen, although it is in the Waterman Man 100 category. Not oversize by today's standards, but a big pen nonetheless. The max. diameter is 13mm (about 1/2in.). The section have a nice, soft curve that makes the pen very comfortable to hold and use. Diameter here is about 11mm (7/16in.) Due to the filling mecanism, the pen is on the heavy side (I don't have a scale, sorry), which is one of the reason I bought it.

The color is a very bright orange, and today, as I was grading (catastrophic!!) exams with Noodler's Dragon Napalm, I realized it was almost the exact color of the Voyager. I love it.

The quality is amazing, and I wasn't expecting that. The Visconti plastic used for the Voyager made me realize that there are different qualities in modern platics. This feels warm and welcoming to the hand, making the writing experience very pleasant indeed.

What I really love is the section. I am a hudge fan of the Lamy 2K because Lamy made a slip cap that can sustain the test of time, giving a section without threads or steps. The Voyager has a screw on cap. But there are a few details worth mentioning: first, the threads are not too deep (and time will tell if this was indeed a good idea or not) and they are perfectly leveled with the surface of the barrel. Plus, as you can see, there is a small (silver?) ring, kind of protecting the fingers from the threads while writing. This is one of the most comfortable grip section I've ever used. Excellent design I think - and I just wich this one was on the HS (sorry, I do find this to be the worst grip ever. Seriously.)

fpn_1378304680__voyager7.jpg

The filling mecanism is Visconti Power filler with Double chamber. This means it's a vacuum filling system, close to the one used by the Pilot 823 or the TWSBI 700. Not so practical but llowing for a big ink capacity. The Double chamber means that there is a small space separated from the full barrel. When this chaber is empty, you unscew the knob to let some ink going from the barrel to the chamber. I am not sure how useful this is, but it works. The second chamber holds enough ink for about five pages.

There is no ink window, and I understand this is unusual for this mecanism. I must say I don't miss it at all. But then, my main writer is a Lamy 2000m, a piston filler without ink window. The truth is once you know how many pages you can write with a full load, you never get surprised, plus you can feel when the pen is about to be missing ink. In the case of the Voyager, since you do have a full barrel with you...

fpn_1375742398__img_7954.jpg

The nib is beautiful, probably the best looking nib I have, Visconti style. It's a M 14k gold, writing a very wet and smooth line. The nib to be very rigid, almost a nail - not my first choice. The fact it's a 14k gold will allow for some nibmeiser work someday, and the Visconti nib unit may allow me to buy a palladium nib to use with the pen.

fpn_1378304655__voyager4.jpg

Some complain that the filling mecanism makes the pen a pain to emply and clean. This is true, unless you unscrew the nib unit to clean your pen. Since I am using a problem free ink that I know well, and since I think the pen will stay in rotation for a long time, I don't plan to go crazy about cleaning the Voyager, so this solution is ok for now.

Value? I don't know what was the price of this pen, but I won it for 125$, and I am feeling very lucky.

Thank you for reading!

PS: for more info about the Voyager, see this thread. Thank you for everyone who took time to answer me!!

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Namo

• mrchan

• lovemy51

• raging.dragon

Honnestly i don't like it,i find it look cheap

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Again, some people will say Visconti are the worst, cheap looking whatever. I have 6 Viscontis (3 VanGogh’s, one Voyager, one HS and one Renaissance). The only one that gave me trouble was the HS, but once exchanged, the new one gives me no trouble at all. Except for the Renaissance (too slim for my taste but very nice springy nib-although discolored by ink ), the other are frequent fliers in my rotations.

The Voyager I have is the Burgundy swirl. Very nice soft and springy nib. Payed $150 at Fleabay about 6-7 yrs ago. I’m still eyeing a Wall Street but the nib section is rather short. I know eventually I will have one.
Who cares if it looks cheap (hey! it’s not a limited series), it writes well. And those who don’t like it, well, who really cares :D And, after all, you said you don’t like the bling, n’est ce pas????

Enjoy!

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Montblanc owner and lover: I am so sorry to hear you don't like the pen. Fortunately, you didn't buy it, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

alvarez57: I am glad to hear you didn't experience any trouble with your Viscontis. I guess I will never be a big fan of the brad, but I do love this one. I love the color (I am a sucker for orange, I am), and I love the material. The design is really exceptionnal, way better than average IMHO. One thing I may add: if the pen looks cheap (it doesn't; but my pics certainly are), it doesn't feel cheap in any way. regarding the bling: well, I do own a Acura Serpent, which certainly is bling-bling, blingblingbling... and I love it. So it would be fair to say I do love some blings, and not other... mmmh... wasn't expecting that... oh, well.. ok, then!

amonjak.com

I'd have to echo his sentiments about the pen, it looks like it is made out of cheap plastic..No offense meant but..The clip looks like its made out of cheap material as well..The nib is nice looking though..

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

I'd have to echo his sentiments about the pen, it looks like it is made out of cheap plastic..No offense meant but..The clip looks like its made out of cheap material as well..The nib is nice looking though..

Well, it's not.

amonjak.com

If this pen looks cheap, what do you think about the Montblanc Hemingway?

I totally understand you.......

........ I do not like MB. :P

hi, Namo. thx for the review. at first I thought I was looking at a Bexley or something else, but not a Visconty. personally, I like the simplicity of it. :thumbup:

If this pen looks cheap, what do you think about the Montblanc Hemingway?

I'm not a big fan of the Montblanc Hemingway. :/ But this looks like a toy..But as long as he likes it its all that matters I suppose.

Mmh... I am not sure I was expecting such reactions. I just wanted to share info about a pen. There is (if I remember well) only one other review of the Voyager, so I was kind of hoping to add something...

Sorry for those who don't like the pen; but frankly, I just don't care.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

Lol namo chill dude, just because we don't like the pen it doesn't mean you have to take offence to that. We were just expressing our views on the pen. I mean you posted to share what you thought and You probably expected to hear what others thought as well didnt you? Just because some of us didnt like the pen there isn't any reason to get upset. Just accept that different people have different tastes that's all. We aren't attacking you or your review -_- so there isn't any reason to get upset :/

I mean isn't it boring if we were all sheep and kept agreeing to what each person said? At least hear other critics point of view for the fun of it? :/

Since years I do have a catalog which is showing the Voyager and the Ragtime. I do not know exactly why, but I always enjoyed to look at it. Perhaps it's the simplicity, perhaps the fact it's real celluloid or it's look or this all together, I do find it cool and would like to have one, too. If I remember correctly, this pen was fairly expensive. It's nice, enjoy!

I mean isn't it boring if we were all sheep and kept agreeing to what each person said? At least hear other critics point of view for the fun of it? :/

I don't take offence of any of that, of course. But when someone take time to write a review, my first reaction is generaly not to say I don't like the pen. Hence my surprise. But, hey, different people...

amonjak.com

I don't take offence of any of that, of course. But when someone take time to write a review, my first reaction is generaly not to say I don't like the pen. Hence my surprise. But, hey, different people...

I think it’s the sign of the times…………...

Anyways, I’m the type of person that if I don’t like the pen, I simply do not comment unless there is something meaningful I want to suggest … hey! but that’s me.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

And nobody expects to, but there is something which is called diplomacy. We all take our pens very seriously, otherwise we wouldn’t be in this forum. Lord! It’s just like going to the Montbalnc forum and writing that I don’t like them….. my head would instantly roll on the ground!

sonia alvarez

And nobody expects to, but there is something which is called diplomacy. We all take our pens very seriously, otherwise we wouldn’t be in this forum. Lord! It’s just like going to the Montbalnc forum and writing that I don’t like them….. my head would instantly roll on the ground!

Well I think its only if you go in and say you hate all of Montblanc, which doesn't make sense because lets face it, every single brand has at least a few nice pens. Likewise despite me liking quite a few montblanc pens, I really dislike the Boheme, princess grace of monaco just to name a few. Just so happens we don't like this pen very much and we just say it like it is, I did think the nib was nice and that was about it..Its like producing a movie and not expecting to hear some criticism..Diplomacy is alright but reviews are posted for people to understand how nice a pen is, what are its good and bad points. Comments are quite useful both for the owner, the brand, and other consumers as it helps improve the brand and what others think do matter. But I digress..