14 replies to this topic

#1 adin

adin

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 23:13

I recently purchased a bottle of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts and immediately inked up my Lamy Safari.

It seems that there are air bubbles formed inside the converter.

How can I fix this?

xwTi4x6.jpg?1

#2 Penne Stilografiche

Penne Stilografiche

Definitely not here anymore

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 23:31

Was the pen shaken in any way?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

#3 adin

adin

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 23:34

Was the pen shaken in any way?

No, I literally just inked it up, the large bubbles went away but there's still tiny little bubbles

#4 wallylynn

wallylynn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 23:50

Most likely, you didn't insert the nib deep enough into the ink.  Be sure to dip the entire nib all the way to the plastic section.

#5 adin

adin

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 23:55

Most likely, you didn't insert the nib deep enough into the ink.  Be sure to dip the entire nib all the way to the plastic section.

I'm pretty sure I fully dipped it, I even did it again because that's what Ithought happened, but it's still bubbly.

#6 adin

adin

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 00:08

I let my Lamy sit for ~40 minutes and just came back to it, it looks much better now.

But now there's some nib creep.

#7 Safari_Camo

Safari_Camo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 00:09

The same happens when I ink with BSB

#8 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,063 posts
  • Location:No one will tell me & I've never been good at geography
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 00:20

I let my Lamy sit for ~40 minutes and just came back to it, it looks much better now.

But now there's some nib creep.

Hello Adin,

The nib creep is normal, the air bubbles are popping and rapid expansion inside that tiny converter is driving the ink through the nib.  Did you shake the bottle before you filled it?  (This may sound like a crazy question, but some people do shake their bottles right before filling their pens - which you shouldn't do). ;)

All the best,

Sean :)

Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution to all problems.  Catholicism is the Truth and everything that departs from it, one iota, is disorder, deception and error. - Juan D. Cortés

Catholics Come Home.org

#9 adin

adin

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 00:25

Hello Adin,

The nib creep is normal, the air bubbles are popping and rapid expansion inside that tiny converter is driving the ink through the nib.  Did you shake the bottle before you filled it?  (This may sound like a crazy question, but some people do shake their bottles right before filling their pens - which you shouldn't do). ;)

All the best,

....Yes, I did shake the bottle. I thought it would need shaking to blend all of the liquids together.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time I fill up a pen.

#10 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 00:39

....Yes, I did shake the bottle. I thought it would need shaking to blend all of the liquids together.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time I fill up a pen.

Hello Adin,

Yes, there is your answer - that's where all the air bubbles came from. :D

You generally do not have to shake the bottle first; however, there are some who swear by this technique, particulary with some Noodler's inks that do tend to separate a little.  If you do opt to shake the bottle, let it stand a half-hour or so before you fill the pen. ;)

All the best,

Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution to all problems.  Catholicism is the Truth and everything that departs from it, one iota, is disorder, deception and error. - Juan D. Cortés

Catholics Come Home.org

#11 iliadodyssey

iliadodyssey

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 00:53

54th is one of those inks that gives very different colors depending on if the bottle was fully mixed or not. It is much darker from a bottle with no dye residue visible on the bottom of the bottle. As corniche said though, it is a good idea to let the bottle sit for a half hour or so for the bubbles to die down.

Also, just for the record, I have that same problem with many inks in my safari when the feed is dry. It seems that the bubbles can come from ink and air mixing in the feed. As always ymmv.

#12 Paddler

Paddler

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:39

:gaah: Heyj, gang! The bubbles are OK! They indicate the presence of detergent or flow-enhancer in the ink. If you take a pen with a clear converter and fill it with water and rest the nib on a paper towel, you will see bubbles exit the feed and into the converter. The bubbles exit the feed as fast as the paper towel wicks the water away from the nib. If bubbles persist in the converter, they do so because of the ink's formulation. Don't beat this thing to death. The teachers who tried to teach you physics were not trying to just bust your chops.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

#13 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:58

Hello all,

Actually, the surfactants in ink are designed NOT to foam.  They use a non-ionic surfactant such as Dow's Triton X-100; this is a foam inhibiting surfactant.  Other items, such as dish detergent and shampoo use anionic surfactants that are actually designed to foam up, e.g., sodium lauryl sulfate.  This ink did not foam up from the surfactant, it foamed up because it was mechanically agitated, (shaken up), even plain water will bubble up when it is shaken.

All the best,

Edited by corniche, 05 September 2013 - 03:59.

Catholics Come Home.org

#14 Renfield

Renfield

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:51

Noodlers 54th drools like a baby in Lamy Pens, as does Noodlers Black in my experience.

Also I decanted a bottle into sample vials, and the ink at the top of the bottle was blue and the bottom was black. It needed a shake

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 SeeksAdvice

SeeksAdvice

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:53

The dreaded Noodler's nib creep.  That, of all else, is probably the #1 reason I run from the "bulletproof" line.  Had more drools, drips, pen cap disasters, etc. with that than any other type of ink.  The propensity for it to wind up palces it wasn't welcome almost led to a ban of FP's at the office.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan