47 replies to this topic

#31 JerryVK

JerryVK

I get the point!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 00:38

I have given several 78G's away as gifts. I have not surrendered my 78G fine nib. It is perfect for my checkbook! I also use it for writing in my pocket planner and in the margins of books. You can't beat the smooth nib.
Jerry

#32 hcsk8ter

hcsk8ter

Feelin' Antsy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 17:35

Guess I just got a stinker because mine stinks!

#33 grox

grox

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:43

Guess I just got a stinker because mine stinks!

Me too. Out of the packet it looks nice - a bit cheap but still nice for the price point. The converter works nicely but unfortunately this thing writes a scratchy dry line that starts poorly and peters out very quickly. It also has terrible nib creep.

Edited by grox, 25 September 2009 - 01:43.

#34 Bentley

Bentley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:26

I picked up a 78G from ebay with an extra fine nib and I like the pen very much. Nice style, very light, and seems well made for such an inexpensive pen.

I would agree that the nib tends to writer dryer than I would care for and, with an extra fine point, it could feel a bit scratchy and the lines were a bit too faded. I recently refilled it with some Parker ink and this seems to have helped; I find the Parker ink tends to be a bit more runny/watery than other brands and, in this case, it seems to have helped address the dry writing issue.

#35 Roberto_Notecardo

Roberto_Notecardo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 20:37

"Now the NIB:
I like the stub/italic nibs, that's why I baught the pen.
BUT unlike described in several other postings as "very smooth" mine was/is VERY scratchy. After the first page of writing there was even a little "ball" of scratched off paper fibers on the nib.
As I didn't have any fine abrasive paper at hand to polish the nib, I took a box of matches, and scribbled around on it.
The nib became feelable smoother, and after several repeatings of the procedure it now is quite ok."

What a great idea! I also have the broad/stub, and it is very scratchy. I have a box of matches at home, and am going to try to smooth out my catchy nib corners. I've been tolerating the scratchiness because the nib lays down such a crisp line. But if I can smooth it out, this pen will soar to the top of my rotation.

Bob
I never finish anyth

#36 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2011 - 00:55

Try the Kraft paper trick, maybe even make a couple little + signs and maybe a few o's (no figure eights!) on sand paper and see if that helps it any.
my pen collection: Dollar 717i Demonstrator x3, fake Hero 616, Lamy Safari EF, Manuscript Dodec, Pilot 78g x2, Platinum Preppy F x7, Reform 1745 x2, Sheaffer Calligraphy Pen, Unidentified Wearever

#37 Black Rose

Black Rose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:28

My 78G F nib was scratchy right away. I did the brown paper bag trick and it writes great now.

My M and B nib 78Gs are fantastic writers and didn't need any work.
In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

#38 amyx231

amyx231

I think I need to be on here less....

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:23

whats so special about broad?

#39 Black Rose

Black Rose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:26

whats so special about broad?

It's hard to explain. I thought the same thing until I had the chance to try an italic nib.

Basically, it gives you a wide line, but also allows for a lot of line variation from a single nib.

To give you an idea, here's a scan of a page from my Rhodia #11 pad using italic/broad nibs (except for the Hero 616 line):

Posted Image

The top line was written with Halden's Lamy 1.5 italic.

The last 4 are done with the Pilot 78G B.
In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

#40 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 16:32

I have a 78G broad and I love it! In fact, I just ordered two more so I can have more colours on the go. They are so smooth, and the line variation allows my favourite shading inks to really shine! I bought a bottle of CdA Saffron just for this pen!

#41 Aimsport

Aimsport

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 17:08

If you have a bad 78G nib, a Pilot Plumix nib is a wonderful upgrade. Very easy to switch.

#42 M@rtin

M@rtin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2011 - 17:07

Great pen. I use it ('M' nib) with Sheaffer Skrip (black), and I note that this is a very good combination, with better performance than use it with Pilot ink.

#43 tuintu

tuintu

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2011 - 20:18

A question: Pilot 78G's ink barrel is exchangeable ? can i change it to a screw-type converter ?
Verba volant, scripta manet...

Posted Image Posted Image

#44 Penquin

Penquin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:11

This is my favorite everyday writer. never lets me down. I have one in three colors - even though I have never lost a pen, it is inexpensive to have a back up for this one...

#45 adallak

adallak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:44

A question: Pilot 78G's ink barrel is exchangeable ? can i change it to a screw-type converter ?

Yes, Pilot CON-50 works with Pilot 78G and Pilot Prera. I got one from http://www.stationeryart.com
“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

#46 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:48

Yes, Pilot CON-50 works with Pilot 78G and Pilot Prera. I got one from http://www.stationeryart.com

Or you can use Pilot cartridges and refill those. The converter that comes with the Pilot 78G, at least from Stationery Art, is annoying. Much easier to see ink level in a cartridge.

For the price, these are amazing little pens.

#47 adallak

adallak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:55

Or you can use Pilot cartridges and refill those. The converter that comes with the Pilot 78G, at least from Stationery Art, is annoying. Much easier to see ink level in a cartridge.

ALL Pilot 78Gs regardless of a seller come with CON-20 squeeze type converter, which is not transparent. It is probably easier to refill cartridges with a syringe (what i do a lot). Nevertheless, IMHO, nothing beats transparent screw type Pilot CON-50 which I bought from stationeryart.com. The prices, shipping costs are good and it took only seven days to get the item from them. Great service!
“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

#48 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:04

ALL Pilot 78Gs regardless of a seller come with CON-20 squeeze type converter, which is not transparent. It is probably easier to refill cartridges with a syringe (what i do a lot). Nevertheless, IMHO, nothing beats transparent screw type Pilot CON-50 which I bought from stationeryart.com. The prices, shipping costs are good and it took only seven days to get the item from them. Great service!

Thanks. I didn't know that the squeeze converter was common to all of the 78G pens. I generally like refilling cartridges better than converters, but that's more a personal preference. I agree that Stationery Art is a very good source with excellent pricing. Plus you get great stamps on the package; at least I did. :)