Pilot 78G

ConnallMac

I recently purchased a Pilot 78G from Norman at Hisnibs.com. He shipped it from Pennsylvania on a Monday afternoon and I received it and another pen on Wednesday morning. I was pleased to see the stamp on the package from the USPS that the shipping charge was exactly what Norman had charged me! I have gotten so tired of eBay and other internet merchants jacking up their shipping price to stretch their profit margins, and it was refreshing to find an honest merchant! He and James at Pear Tree Pens are far and above the best pen merchants out there on the net! Now on to the pen!

Fit & Finish:

The 78G is a conservatively styled pen with gold tone furniture and accents, as well as the nib. It is classy and elegant in a simple way. The clip grips my shirt pocket with enough strength to hold it in there when I bend over, but not the death grip of my Hero 100! Here I have to give it a 4.5 out of 5, as I would prefer if it were available with silver tone.

Heft & Balance: This pen is very light weight, I think it may be the lightest fountain pen that I own, which I love. It is also very well balanced, with the weight distributed very evenly. Here I give it 5 out of 5.

Nib Quality: This is the best nib I've ever bought on a pen for less than thirty dollars, bar none! It is a medium, that writes more like a western fine. It is incredibly smooth, like butter on glass. The only nibs that I own that are better are the medium and broad nibs on my Pilot Vanishing Point pens; I also own a fine VP nib, but it is such a fine nib that it can be a little scratchy at times. This nib is great for filling in forms and jotting down notes. I wish I had had this pen in college as it would have saved me from some nasty hand cramps after marathon note taking sessions! Definitely a 5 out of 5 here!

Filling Mechanism: This pen features an aerometric style converter that is very is easy to squeeze and fill. It seems hold a very respectable amount of ink. Also, it is removable and you could use cartridges in it if you were so inclined. I assume it would take Pilot's brand of cartridges, but I couldn't say for certain. I'll give it a 4.5 out of 5 here because while it works very well, I do have to take it apart to refill and I can't really check the level of ink in it.

Overall this is the best pen I have purchased for under $30. Period. Unless you like a heavy pen I think you would be very happy with this little gem. I would definitely recommend this as a first pen purchase for a newbie or as a give away to someone you are trying to hook on fountain pens. Head on over to Hisnibs.com and let Norman take care of you!

--J. Haney

Note: I am not connected to Hisnibs.com in any way, I'm just an extremely satisfied customer!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• His Nibs

• hunter186

• sonia_simone

• adallak

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What an attractive pen! I went to the website you linked--seems to have sold out of all of them. I can see your enthusiasm over the appearance--it looks like a pen to write with and get on with your work. I'll keep an eye out for one.

Thank you for the review--

It's a nice pen and I hope Norman Hasse gets more in -- he is great, meticulous about communication and ships very quickly.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

that is a very good quality pen with very sober looks, I like it.;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I've only bought one pen from Norman H. and he was so very nice that I would like to buy another one. I've emailed him and am on a waiting list for the 78G broad, which he says he may or may not get some more of.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I've only bought one pen from Norman H. and he was so very nice that I would like to buy another one.  I've emailed him and am on a waiting list for the 78G broad, which he says he may or may not get some more of.

I've been on the list for several weeks but didn't know that shipment was iffy. Too bad it can be so difficult to get Japanese pens in the states. This discussion has gotten me thinking that a fine nib might be good for writing in margins. Maybe that will tide me over till the bold nibs arrive.

Are there any inks the 78Gs either love or hate? Not that I need more bottles of ink ... ;)

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

I don't think these are made any more, so I gather he's finding NOS sources.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I just ordered a medium from HisNibs along with some Private Reserve ink. Blue Suede looks like a good color for it. Still got my name on the list for a broad nib if Norman ever finds a few more.

FPN comments and reviews are the only way I would have found out about the 78G. Thanks, FPNers! :D

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Speerbob (ebay store) has both B and BB nib black 79G's. Or he did last week.

Do a search on eBay for Speerbob. He is located in Thailand and occasionally posts on the Zoss list.

I have no association with him, except as a satisfied customer.

Thanks for the review.

I agree the pen is very light, which is a little too light for me. The pen is also small for my hands, but not too small. But the darned thing writes so well that just use it and enjoy it. I got a B nib that is a great M italic. The nib is relative smooth, ink flow is good, and the line variation is surprising.

I am on the waiting list for a second B nib. I had also understood that Norm is sniffing out NOS items, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a black 78g with a fine nib, from isellpens. Would have preferred a green medium nib, but after all of the rave reviews, these pens are tough to find.

I've been looking for something lightweight and inexpensive that writes a fine line. Lately most of my writing has been note-taking in classes, and I think this will be a sweet little pen for it. Can't wait to get it.

Ordered mine just a few days early, I suppose. If it writes as well as everyone says, I imagine I'll be ordering another in Forest Green from Norman. (For some reason I feel like I need a green pen lately)

It came! USPS and UPS packages don't reach my apartment until about 5:00pm, but when I checked my email at 9:30 am, FedEx said the package had been delivered!

This pen really does write well. The Japanese F nib is exceptionally fine. The nib was a bit scratchy at first, but after a few minutes on craft paper and a few swipes over an old penny, it smoothed out considerably. Flow is consistent; it doesn't skip at all. It's a drier nib than some, but I'm looking forward to that (no more smudged lecture notes)

**Edited after a day of writing

Wow, talk about a great pen for the price. I think this will be my daily carry for a while. It lays down a beautiful extra-fine line with no skipping. (Its currently loaded with Noodler's Walnut, which performs excellently in this nib) The pen is very lightweight, which I think I'll like a lot. I'll be ordering another one of these soon.

This is the first pen I've used with a squeeze converter. I like it as it's easy to fill one-handed. I suspect I'll get decent mileage out of a fill with such a fine nib.

All in all, I'm very pleased. Also, isellpens was a pleasure to deal with. Shipping was prompt and communication was excellent. I'll be back for more.

Edited by hunter186

I just received mine (medium nib) today and I have to say, it's a good pen, but not a terrific pen. It's my opinion that my inexpensive Duke, knocks the socks off the pilot in terms of smoothness and writing pleasure. I also own the broad point which is good, but not any better than my Pelikan 150 with italic nib.

I'm dying to get my hands on one of those italic broads! And glad to hear everyone seems to be enjoying these so much.