#1 ConnallMac

ConnallMac

Transplanted New Yorker

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2007 - 14:44

I recently purchased a Pilot 78G from Norman at Hisnibs.com. He shipped it from Pennsylvania on a Monday afternoon and I received it and another pen on Wednesday morning. I was pleased to see the stamp on the package from the USPS that the shipping charge was exactly what Norman had charged me! I have gotten so tired of eBay and other internet merchants jacking up their shipping price to stretch their profit margins, and it was refreshing to find an honest merchant! He and James at Pear Tree Pens are far and above the best pen merchants out there on the net! Now on to the pen!

Fit & Finish:
The 78G is a conservatively styled pen with gold tone furniture and accents, as well as the nib. It is classy and elegant in a simple way. The clip grips my shirt pocket with enough strength to hold it in there when I bend over, but not the death grip of my Hero 100! Here I have to give it a 4.5 out of 5, as I would prefer if it were available with silver tone.

Heft & Balance: This pen is very light weight, I think it may be the lightest fountain pen that I own, which I love. It is also very well balanced, with the weight distributed very evenly. Here I give it 5 out of 5.

Nib Quality: This is the best nib I've ever bought on a pen for less than thirty dollars, bar none! It is a medium, that writes more like a western fine. It is incredibly smooth, like butter on glass. The only nibs that I own that are better are the medium and broad nibs on my Pilot Vanishing Point pens; I also own a fine VP nib, but it is such a fine nib that it can be a little scratchy at times. This nib is great for filling in forms and jotting down notes. I wish I had had this pen in college as it would have saved me from some nasty hand cramps after marathon note taking sessions! Definitely a 5 out of 5 here!

Filling Mechanism: This pen features an aerometric style converter that is very is easy to squeeze and fill. It seems hold a very respectable amount of ink. Also, it is removable and you could use cartridges in it if you were so inclined. I assume it would take Pilot's brand of cartridges, but I couldn't say for certain. I'll give it a 4.5 out of 5 here because while it works very well, I do have to take it apart to refill and I can't really check the level of ink in it.

Overall this is the best pen I have purchased for under $30. Period. Unless you like a heavy pen I think you would be very happy with this little gem. I would definitely recommend this as a first pen purchase for a newbie or as a give away to someone you are trying to hook on fountain pens. Head on over to Hisnibs.com and let Norman take care of you!

--J. Haney

Note: I am not connected to Hisnibs.com in any way, I'm just an extremely satisfied customer!

#2 johnr55

johnr55

The New Deal

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 15:29

What an attractive pen! I went to the website you linked--seems to have sold out of all of them. I can see your enthusiasm over the appearance--it looks like a pen to write with and get on with your work. I'll keep an eye out for one.

Thank you for the review--

#3 lefty928

lefty928

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,081 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 15:49

It's a nice pen and I hope Norman Hasse gets more in -- he is great, meticulous about communication and ships very quickly.
Posted Image

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,363 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2007 - 19:25

that is a very good quality pen with very sober looks, I like it.wink.gif
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#5 sonia_simone

sonia_simone

Jammie Dodger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 21:07

I've only bought one pen from Norman H. and he was so very nice that I would like to buy another one. I've emailed him and am on a waiting list for the 78G broad, which he says he may or may not get some more of.
Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!
--The Tick

#6 Margana

Margana

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2007 - 21:36

QUOTE(sonia_simone @ Feb 11 2007, 01:07 PM)
I've only bought one pen from Norman H. and he was so very nice that I would like to buy another one.  I've emailed him and am on a waiting list for the 78G broad, which he says he may or may not get some more of.

I've been on the list for several weeks but didn't know that shipment was iffy. Too bad it can be so difficult to get Japanese pens in the states. This discussion has gotten me thinking that a fine nib might be good for writing in margins. Maybe that will tide me over till the bold nibs arrive.

Are there any inks the 78Gs either love or hate? Not that I need more bottles of ink ... wink.gif
A certified Inkophile

#7 sonia_simone

sonia_simone

Jammie Dodger

• Member - Gold

• 2,043 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 21:54

I don't think these are made any more, so I gather he's finding NOS sources.
Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!
--The Tick

#8 helius

helius

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 23:24

Thanks for the review. I should have ordered a broad/stub/italic when I had a chance. sad.gif

#9 stephen82

stephen82

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 00:07

I ordered a couple from hisnibs and am very pleased with the pens. And they do indeed take Pilot cartridges.

#10 Margana

Margana

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2007 - 00:21

I just ordered a medium from HisNibs along with some Private Reserve ink. Blue Suede looks like a good color for it. Still got my name on the list for a broad nib if Norman ever finds a few more.

FPN comments and reviews are the only way I would have found out about the 78G. Thanks, FPNers! biggrin.gif
A certified Inkophile

#11 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Denizen

• Member - Gold

• 2,619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2007 - 00:41

These remind me of some of the old 1960s and 70s pens I found in my dad's collection of various items awhile back when he asked me to clean out his office of all the old supplies.

#12 rpj

rpj

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:01

Speerbob (ebay store) has both B and BB nib black 79G's. Or he did last week.

Do a search on eBay for Speerbob. He is located in Thailand and occasionally posts on the Zoss list.

I have no association with him, except as a satisfied customer.

#13 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:23

Thanks for the review.

I agree the pen is very light, which is a little too light for me. The pen is also small for my hands, but not too small. But the darned thing writes so well that just use it and enjoy it. I got a B nib that is a great M italic. The nib is relative smooth, ink flow is good, and the line variation is surprising.

I am on the waiting list for a second B nib. I had also understood that Norm is sniffing out NOS items, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

#14 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• 2,353 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:18

I bought one in each colour from Norman, all with F nibs. I love them! smile.gif

Edited by Phthalo, 12 February 2007 - 09:18.

Laura / Phthalo
Fountain Pens: My Collection ˇ My Weblog ˇ My Flickr Gallery
Follow me on Twitter: @Phthalo

#15 hunter186

hunter186

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 15:34

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a black 78g with a fine nib, from isellpens. Would have preferred a green medium nib, but after all of the rave reviews, these pens are tough to find.

I've been looking for something lightweight and inexpensive that writes a fine line. Lately most of my writing has been note-taking in classes, and I think this will be a sweet little pen for it. Can't wait to get it.

#16 His Nibs

His Nibs

Dylan rules!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:08

Hi all,

Just a note to let everyone know that I have the 'F' and 'M' pens back in stock (still hopeful that I'll have more 'B' and even 'BB' in stock in the next few weeks)! smile.gif

Pilot 78G
Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com
Blog: http://hisnibs.blogspot.com

#17 hunter186

hunter186

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 13:57

Ordered mine just a few days early, I suppose. If it writes as well as everyone says, I imagine I'll be ordering another in Forest Green from Norman. (For some reason I feel like I need a green pen lately)

#18 hunter186

hunter186

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 16:18

It came! USPS and UPS packages don't reach my apartment until about 5:00pm, but when I checked my email at 9:30 am, FedEx said the package had been delivered!

This pen really does write well. The Japanese F nib is exceptionally fine. The nib was a bit scratchy at first, but after a few minutes on craft paper and a few swipes over an old penny, it smoothed out considerably. Flow is consistent; it doesn't skip at all. It's a drier nib than some, but I'm looking forward to that (no more smudged lecture notes)

**Edited after a day of writing
Wow, talk about a great pen for the price. I think this will be my daily carry for a while. It lays down a beautiful extra-fine line with no skipping. (Its currently loaded with Noodler's Walnut, which performs excellently in this nib) The pen is very lightweight, which I think I'll like a lot. I'll be ordering another one of these soon.

This is the first pen I've used with a squeeze converter. I like it as it's easy to fill one-handed. I suspect I'll get decent mileage out of a fill with such a fine nib.

All in all, I'm very pleased. Also, isellpens was a pleasure to deal with. Shipping was prompt and communication was excellent. I'll be back for more.

Edited by hunter186, 24 February 2007 - 02:50.

#19 Frankster

Frankster

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:55

I just received mine (medium nib) today and I have to say, it's a good pen, but not a terrific pen. It's my opinion that my inexpensive Duke, knocks the socks off the pilot in terms of smoothness and writing pleasure. I also own the broad point which is good, but not any better than my Pelikan 150 with italic nib.

#20 JRodriguez

JRodriguez

Anthropologist at large

• Member - Gold

• 1,245 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:15

I'm dying to get my hands on one of those italic broads! And glad to hear everyone seems to be enjoying these so much.

#21 MikeLip

MikeLip

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:00

Just for laughs, I would also try one of the fines. I am amazed at just how smooth it is, and how extremely fine. Awesome little pen! Check it out compared to a number of other fines.

Attached Images

• line_widths.jpg

#22 His Nibs

His Nibs

Dylan rules!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:59

It never seems like I can have all of the Pilot 78Gs fully in stock at one time (although the F and M nibs are coming within a week), but I do now have the famous 'B' nibs again. No black this shipment, but for the first time....green, red and teal! smile.gif

Here's the direct link.
Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com

#23 Terri

Terri

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 23:22

I bought these pens at isellpens.com for $17.99. It's really a nice pen for the money.

#24 artaddict

artaddict

I love coffee

• Member - Gold

• 2,653 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:10

I got my Pilot 78G at HisNibs. Norman of HisNibs was very helpful with all my newbie concerns. Great to deal with!
Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

#25 mstelz

mstelz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 13:29

A week ago I got a green 78G with the -B- nib, which is that italic/stub nib.

I baught it on ebay from "mizukushi" located in Hong Kong for US $29,74 (Including US $9,75 Shipping to Austria)
He in the moment offers several of them in different colours and nib sizes.
See http://search.ebay.c...QsassZmizukushi
He wrote me some nice mails, and added a funny black nicely writing disposable fountain pen as gift. (He sells them also in boxes of 10 starting with $0.99)

Now to my oppinion about the 78G:
Design is a little "baroque", like those early japanese cars, but plesant for me - I like green, specially that with a blueish touch!

It is VERY light, which I find to be very comfortable.
The Clip is strong, and holds the pen secure, even in the trouser pocket.

It fills easily with it's squeecer and holds quite a lot of ink.

Now the NIB:
I like the stub/italic nibs, that's why I baught the pen.
BUT unlike described in several other postings as "very smooth" mine was/is VERY scratchy. After the first page of writing there was even a little "ball" of scratched off paper fibers on the nib.
As I didn't have any fine abrasive paper at hand to polish the nib, I took a box of matches, and scribbled around on it.
The nib became feelable smoother, and after several repeatings of the procedure it now is quite ok.

It writes really nice, from the first touch on the paper, rather dry (even with my Quink mixture), VERY italic, and also reacts very fine on changes of the pressure during writing.
As it's now getting smoother and smoother the more I write with it the more I like writing with it.
In fact I'm beginning to get really fond of this little cheapy.
And definitely I prefer it already to my several months old Pelikan Level 5, which is a pretty fine pen, but writes bone-hard, and has no way of changing inks.(You can't even rinse it!).

#26 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Denizen

• Member - Gold

• 2,619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2007 - 19:37

My girlfriend has used one of these for a number of months now, and it's a great pen. It's a no-frills pen with a Pilot Fine point. It's actually close to a Western Extra Fine. Despite being so fine, it's still surprisingly smooth. She uses it with the squeeze converter and it's been quite good. It does seem to have the habit of forcing out extra drops when the converter is full- even when she bleeds off 2 or 3 full drops at filling. Other than that, a great daily pen.

#27 chibimie

chibimie

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 21:06

I purchased a 78G from Hisnibs recently, and it arrived two days after I ordered it! It's a lovely teal colored 'F' point, and good for marginalia (Morgana). I've compared it with my Prera 'F', and found the latter to be just a hair finer still.

There's something about the (low) price of these two pens that makes holding them in your hands just a little more precious. wink.gif

#28 His Nibs

His Nibs

Dylan rules!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 23:14

Has anyone (in another thread), or can anyone, post a picture comparing writing samples from 'B' and the 'BB' nibs?

Thanks!
Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com

#29 mucephei

mucephei

Pilot Pen Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2009 - 23:23

I gave my black 78G to my dad. He's been dead since 1995 but he always appreciated nice pens. Though I'm an atheist and I do not believe in an afterlife I still felt the need to give him a nice pen.

Take what you will from that.....
The pen and pencil blog nobody's talking about: http://stationerytraffic.blogspot.com

#30 nemesiz

nemesiz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:36

Ordered a Red Pilot 78G with the fine nib from a Hong Kong ebay seller, with the turnaround just over a week for the package to arrive from Hong Kong. In the package was a simple cheap converter similar to the con-20, a single cartridge, instruction manual, and the Pilot 78G fountain pen sealed in plastic wrapper.

Initial impressions of the Pilot 78G is the fountain pen is short, light weight writing impliment, slightly smaller in dimensions to a Sailor 1911M. Thus perfect for users with little hands or a pen required to be transported in a handbag or jeans pocket. The pen comes with a standard 22K gold plated Japanese nib, and a plastic body, grip section, constructed using the heat injection process as indicated by a large hole found at the base of the body.

As with any Pilot fountain pen it writes smoothly and very dry at first, leaving a line equal to Japanese Fine or Westernized Extra-Fine nib (Cross ink). Unlike pens from the same manufacturer, and similar to Sailor Fountain pens when the nib was reversed, it felt horribly scratchy and nasty to use. Fortunately being a cheap pen, this was the first attempt to tune the nib. After the revered nib was re-worked, the pen wrote very smoothly, with a small amount of feedback leaving a finer line equal to a Pilot extra-fine nib.

Initially dissatisfied with the overall performance and result of the pen, but after taking time to tune the fountain pen, I'm satisfied with the fine line left by the pen. Infact this is the first time i've enjoyed using a fountain pen for a long time, as I have no worries over losing the pen. Simply it's durable for everyday use.
Shane