My New Born: The "oversize" Bulk Filler" Prototype !

fountainbel

Dear Francis

I prefer non-posting also.

With this pen you hit a number of buttons: oversized, huge nib, STUB, ebonite feed, silver (color) trim, sleek elegant lines.

I like the bigger size, I love the titanium furniture.

Regarding the color of the nib: why not have a Rhodium plating? I'm not a gold lover myself and I find silver and titanium a nice match. As you might guess I'm a black pen / silver (color) trim lover.

Would love to buy it this way.

Rob

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• raging.dragon

• Opooh

• hari317

Thanks to all for your stimulating comments!

I fully agree the color of the nib looks not harmonious with the titanium furniture, so I've already planned to get the nibs rhodium plated.

And other material patterns are surely possible !

Francis

Like others here I would prefer matching trim and nib. How about Rhodium or Ruthenium plating the nib? I've read that plating Titanium is problematic; however, plating gold nibs is a common practice. Besides, I generally prefer silver coloured trim.

EDIT: I just noticed that you plan to do this!

Edited by raging.dragon

Hi all !

Just finished a "sleek" version, on which the barrel and cap have the same diameter.

On the first picture one can see a modern Montblanc 149, the earlier shown version and the new sleek version

The barrel step being 33 mm away from the section front, there is surely not an ergonomic issue.

Thanks !

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/P1000416.jpg

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel Bulk filler/P1000417.jpg

Hi all !

Just finished a "sleek" version, on which the barrel and cap have the same diameter.

On the first picture one can see a modern Montblanc 149, the earlier shown version and the new sleek version

The barrel step being 33 mm away from the section front, there is surely not an ergonomic issue.

Thanks !

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel%20Bulk%20filler/P1000416.jpg

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Fountainbel Bulk filler/P1000417.jpg

I prefer the first version. The section looks thicker and I don't like the look of the barrel step on the sleek version.

hi Francis

I prefer the version without a stepping, I don't like my pen to have such "ridges".

Perhaps my fingers are a little (too) sensitive, but after longer use of such a pen it starts to irritate.

My vote goes to your first design (with Rhodium nib)!

Rob

Hello Francis,

I very much prefer the unplated yellow gold or at the max partially plated on my nibs as far as possible, regardless of the trim color. With use, the yellow part of the nibs develop a beautiful patina that lend a unique character to the pens. All this is lost with the fully white plated nibs which I find ugly(Yes even on my YOLs). However YMMV.

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice ! the size looks great, very ergonomic. I too like gold nibs to be gold... I guess I still like the 149 nib that's plated, but it's decoratively done and reveals some gold too.

Has anyone ever put a brushed finish on the gold nib? if they find it too bling.....

Edited by mandarintje

you can never get it wrong, because you can never get it done!

Hello Francis

Thank you again for showing us designs in progress. I write as someone who is *absolutely delighted* with the current model black, flat-top with a titanium nib.

If I have read the specification correctly, this larger pen would hold 90% of the ink of the current model. That seems odd for an oversize in some ways. For me, that would count against it, though not decisively.

I do post my current Bulkfiller, but not often. In my somewhat small hands, the pen is slightly over-balanced when posting even though the posting mechanism is great. On the current pen, the posting step down at the end looks good.

That said, for this oversize, the non-posting version looks much better. I also think the sleek version looks much better than the non-sleek version.

The very large nib is very appealing, though I have no idea how the large Bock nib feels, whereas I know the #6 well. This might be more of a challenge so long as your pens are not sold in shops where people can try them. I know you care about nibs, so I assume the nib is lovely. For my own part, I would prefer some kind of coating that looked like titanium or perhaps even a nib made out of titanium. I got a titanium nib because it matches the titanium hardware of the pen so well (and because it is very soft).

The celluloid looks lovely. However, I have been surprised by how much I now like the Delrin of the current model. It has the advantage of being very hard wearing and looking good even when grubby. That has meant for me that even though this is an expensive pen, I have been willing to take it with me almost everywhere. It can be an all-the-time pen, rather than a only-used-at-home pen. Just more feedback.

I really like the look of the sleek oversize and if the details were right, and the price were not higher than the current model, I'd say it was 50/50 whether I got one. However, I would have to try one out first, since it is so big and the nib is new to me.

In the interim, I would like to suggest some elements from this design and previous ideas that would be most welcome as purchase-able items from Conid:

1. I like the colored ink window in yellow or green or blue. Perhaps offer this on new pens and also offer existing customers the chance to buy one as a retrofit (after all the pen comes apart).

2. I would really like a hard rubber (or ebonite) feed, so perhaps you could sell Bock M250 housings with these feeds as an option on existing pens or for retrofit.

3. I really liked the idea you had for exchangeable sleeves for the Bulkfiller as a way to add some celluloid colour to existing pens. Again, a retrofit kit for this would be nice. If you published the spec for the sleeves, then some pen turners could offer them as a secondary market on a bespoke basis.

Finally, a quick question. Is the Bulkfiller mechanism the same in this oversize prototype as in the current production version? I believe the instructions on the current pen recommend a 1.3mm gap to let ink flow, but you have suggested >1.5mm which is closer to my own experience. I wanted to know if the "official" advice had changed.

Keep up the marvellous work. Your pen is superb.

David.

Hi dave,
Thanks for your reaction, and happy hearing you are delighted with your current Bulk filler !
I'll answer on you specific questions in your test below.
Francis

Hello Francis

Thank you again for showing us designs in progress. I write as someone who is *absolutely delighted* with the current model black, flat-top with a titanium nib.

If I have read the specification correctly, this larger pen would hold 90% of the ink of the current model. That seems odd for an oversize in some ways. For me, that would count against it, though not decisively.

Your "standard" bulk filler holds 2.5 ml of ink, the oversize version being 3.5mm longer holds 2.8 ml.
This large ink ink intake is inherent to the "bulk filler" filling system, and we don't feel the necessity to enlarge the piston bore on the pen to increase the ink intake further.

I do post my current Bulkfiller, but not often. In my somewhat small hands, the pen is slightly over-balanced when posting even though the posting mechanism is great. On the current pen, the posting step down at the end looks good.

That said, for this oversize, the non-posting version looks much better. I also think the sleek version looks much better than the non-sleek version.

The very large nib is very appealing, though I have no idea how the large Bock nib feels, whereas I know the #6 well. This might be more of a challenge so long as your pens are not sold in shops where people can try them. I know you care about nibs, so I assume the nib is lovely. For my own part, I would prefer some kind of coating that looked like titanium or perhaps even a nib made out of titanium. I got a titanium nib because it matches the titanium hardware of the pen so well (and because it is very soft).

Rhodium plated gold nibs will be alternatively provided

The celluloid looks lovely. However, I have been surprised by how much I now like the Delrin of the current model. It has the advantage of being very hard wearing and looking good even when grubby. That has meant for me that even though this is an expensive pen, I have been willing to take it with me almost everywhere. It can be an all-the-time pen, rather than a only-used-at-home pen.

The shown OS versions are made in black Hard rubber, but CONID can surely make these in the "silky feel" black delrin.

I really like the look of the sleek oversize and if the details were right, and the price were not higher than the current model, I'd say it was 50/50 whether I got one. However, I would have to try one out first, since it is so big and the nib is new to me.

I only made the shown prototypes in my shop , so CONID prices are not determined yet, however - given the higher cost of the materials, the nib and feed- cost will surely be higher.

In the interim, I would like to suggest some elements from this design and previous ideas that would be most welcome as purchase-able items from Conid:

1. I like the colored ink window in yellow or green or blue. Perhaps offer this on new pens and also offer existing customers the chance to buy one as a retrofit (after all the pen comes apart).
The section design and dimensions are completely different on the OS pens, so I don' expect CONIs will start making retrofit section for the standard pens.

2. I would really like a hard rubber (or ebonite) feed, so perhaps you could sell Bock M250 housings with these feeds as an option on existing pens or for retrofit.

The Hard rubber OS feed is much larger in diameter as the standard feed, and unfortunately Bock does not offer HR feeds for the stndard size 6 nibs.

3. I really liked the idea you had for exchangeable sleeves for the Bulkfiller as a way to add some celluloid colour to existing pens. Again, a retrofit kit for this would be nice. If you published the spec for the sleeves, then some pen turners could offer them as a secondary market on a bespoke basis.

The pre-series of the "standard size" streamline pens with replaceable barrel sleeves will be ready by the end of this month.
The barrel is however special and one needs a complete new barrel, so retrofitting the existing barrel is nor possible

Finally, a quick question. Is the Bulkfiller mechanism the same in this oversize prototype as in the current production version? I believe the instructions on the current pen recommend a 1.3mm gap to let ink flow, but you have suggested >1.5mm which is closer to my own experience. I wanted to know if the "official" advice had changed.

The bulk filler system is completely identical, only the rod is 3.5mm longer.
The earlier specified gap of 1.3 mm is surely sufficient, but given the collar is 1.5mm thick we thought this was easier for the user as a reference

Keep up the marvellous work. Your pen is superb.

Thanks Dave !

David.

Hi Francis

Thank you for the clarifications. However, I am very surprised by one of them. The most often described figure for the capacity of the Bulkfiller is 3.1ml, though I noticed in your very first post on the pen you mentioned 3.1ml and also 2.4ml. Is 3.1ml the capacity of the original flat-top demonstrator (the FPR version)? Does the black Delrin model have a different capacity (2.5ml as you wrote)? I had thought the black flat-top and the acrylic flat-top were the same dimensions, just a difference in construction materials. I would guess I am not the only one who thinks this (though I might be). Could you clarify for the record the ink capacities of the following:

Delrin flat-top:

Delrin streamline:

Acrylic (i.e. demonstrator) flat-top:

Acrylic streamline:

I guess I am interested in whether the oversize you have designed will have the largest capacity of any Bulkfiller. It seems to me that there should be somewhere on the Conid website in which all the technical details are set out. I did not find such a page, but for such a precision-engineered object, it would add to the appeal of the pen for it to be there.

Thanks

David.

I do wonder if there's an option to make the clip and cap ring match the nib, though? I know some people like silver-colored trim, but I'm a big fan of gold (or gold plate, or gold paint). Pairing it with the green ink window would be such a lovely, warm, vintage effect. I guess it's all personal taste.

Thank you for showing us pictures of your prototype. It's turning out to be quite the temptation...

Jadie and Francis,

Isn't there a standard process to anodize titanium to a golden color?

Steve

Jadie and Francis,

Isn't there a standard process to anodize titanium to a golden color?

Steve

Yes. Additionally, Titanium Nitride (a ceramic) is gold coloured, and Titanium Nitride coatings are sometime used as a fake gold finish. However, I'm not sure such finishes are compatible with the image of a luxury pen?

Stipula have sold Gold plated Titanium nibs, so Gold plating Titanium is possible - but it may be more difficult/expensive than plating other metals.

Edited by raging.dragon

Yes. Additionally, Titanium Nitride (a ceramic) is gold coloured, and Titanium Nitride coatings are sometime used as a fake gold finish. However, I'm not sure such finishes are compatible with the image of a luxury pen?

Stipula have sold Gold plated Titanium nibs, so Gold plating Titanium is possible - but it may be more difficult/expensive than plating other metals.

As far as I know Bock only delivers this size of nib in gold, other materials only on request.

Hi Francis

Thank you for the clarifications. However, I am very surprised by one of them. The most often described figure for the capacity of the Bulkfiller is 3.1ml, though I noticed in your very first post on the pen you mentioned 3.1ml and also 2.4ml. Is 3.1ml the capacity of the original flat-top demonstrator (the FPR version)? Does the black Delrin model have a different capacity (2.5ml as you wrote)? I had thought the black flat-top and the acrylic flat-top were the same dimensions, just a difference in construction materials. I would guess I am not the only one who thinks this (though I might be). Could you clarify for the record the ink capacities of the following:

Delrin flat-top:

Delrin streamline:

Acrylic (i.e. demonstrator) flat-top:

Acrylic streamline:

I guess I am interested in whether the oversize you have designed will have the largest capacity of any Bulkfiller. It seems to me that there should be somewhere on the Conid website in which all the technical details are set out. I did not find such a page, but for such a precision-engineered object, it would add to the appeal of the pen for it to be there.

Thanks

David.

Hi David,

You are right, we initially planned to make two versions being 2.5ml and 3.1ml

We decided however to stick to the 2.5ml version, taken in account that :

- The 3.1 ml version looked esthetically not as nice ( length ratio between cap and barrel looked somewhat disturbed )

and

- A 2.5ml ink intake is already huge compared to other pen brands of the same size,

So ALL pen versions you mentioned have this 2.5ml. ink intake

In a later stage CONID will surely add more technical spec's of the pens on their website

Thanks and regards,

Francis

Wow! How on earth did I miss this thread!

Francis, :notworthy1: you Sir are a magician.

I :puddle: LOVE :puddle: this concept of an "oversize" bulkfiller. And of course your wife has perfect taste - the non-posting pen is obviously the right one. The pen is perfect exactly as photographed in pictures 1, 2, and 3 of (Hari's) post 2 on page 1. Really impressed with the new logo, which does your invention proud.

As the very proud owner of one of the original flat-top bulkfillers (demonstrator version), I was of the view that my bulkfiller was the best version yet produced. However, now you go and produce a beauty like this :thumbup:

Bravo my friend. Please keep this thread warm with updated information. :)

Pavoni.