Refined Custom Leather A4 Hardback Journal Cover

Marlow

I seem to recall that there was a thread on here around a year-ish ago showing a beautiful brown leather a4 hardback journal cover that someone had had made and, search as I might, I cannot find the thread hence this appeal for help!

For the record, I don't like 'rustic' or 'raw leather' covers or anything that fits 'loosely' over a hardback journal. The cover I'm after is high quality, soft, slightly padded, tooled leather, stitched beautifully all round without raw leather edges, that fits VERY neatly over the hard covers of an A4 journal - as I recall, the OP stated that they had sent the measurements of their preferred journal to a company (I think in the US) and the item had been custom made for them.

Anyone remember the thread I'm talking about?!

Thanks in advance! :happyberet:

BTW - I have googled for some time before asking this question and have been very disappointed in the finish of the journals I have come across so far.

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marlow

• mm1624124

• inkypete

• TREBFPN

Top Posters In This Topic

No, what you are describing doesn't ring a bell. I've been researching journal covers myself for quite some time. I, too, don't care for the quasi-rustic appearance with rough stitching, thick covers, or laced edges. Honestly good leather work NEVER looks "rustic".

I've a few oberon leather covers, but I'm not that impressed with them. Yes, they are beautiful; and yes, the leather is VERY nice. But, I don't like the Chicago screws or the leather knot/string that is used to securely close it--too lumpy when trying to write in a notebook in the cover. Taking them off really detracts from the cover. And I'd pay extra for real leather engraving rather than the stamped patterns. So, I'm now going to go for a Gfeller cover. You may want to search for "Gfeller" and see if that is what you remember. They are a USA based company and do customizations using high quality leather that will naturally age into a patina--as good leather should and isn't artificially distressed (unless you choose to do so yourself).

Edited by mm1624124

Hi and thanks for the reply. Gfeller certainly looks like a major step up from what I've seen before (except in that elusive thread!) Their photos are a bit small however so I can't get a proper idea of the finish on the items from their website. The covers in the top left hand photo on the page 'Notebook Covers' look very nice. Can't understand why companies emphasising quality do not provide extra large, hi definition images of their wares!!

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I don't recall the thread you're thinking of either, but from the sounds of it, you may be thinking of Inkleaf. The Gfeller covers are very nice too, and they'll do custom work.

Hope that helps!

Well, dang it! I was hoping Gfeller was the one. If you find the thread again or the notebook covers, please share! I've looked at Renaissance Art and a few others. Gfeller seems offer the attributes I'm looking for. I agree it would be nice if their website had larger photos and more of them showing greater detail. More information about the leather would also help. It is why I've hesitated in pulling the trigger to order one.

After a bit more image googling I can see that the Gfeller stuff looks very nice with age! I'm by nature a researcher-type so will keep looking around for a while as I'm in no hurry and will of course update this thread if I find anything worthy. Gfeller is top of the list at the moment tho. :happyberet:

Laura Ingalls Wilder

PS - thanks Graphemer - will check out Inkleaf! .... Ah, yes, good quality leather for sure but I'm not really after a 'slab' of leather. The cover that wins my custom will probably be less durable than these worthy field notes covers. I'm unlikely to be toting the thing around with me - it's simply going to sit looking great on my desk with its softness and luxuriousness calling me to it each day.... until, that is, the cats get at it and destroy it like they have my leather corner sofa!!

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Haha - I laughed albeit wryly!!

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Be sure to watch the video on Gfellers' site.

Full disclosure: I produced that video and I have absolutely NO objectivity at all about Steve's products: you cannot find a better notebook cover for this price and the video will clearly demonstrate why your cover is worth what you will pay for it.

The quality of the construction is far more important than the surface of the leather; it is going to age and it's going to get hammered as it fulfills its mission. You can tool it or decorate it once you've received it, but Gfellers starts with exquisite kip-style leather, vegetable tanned, and it's lovely. Steve carefully cuts out each cover so it is completely free of all leather defects like scars and blemishes. Steve can apply color to your cover but that's like putting a coat of paint on a maple floor.

Pull the trigger. You will totally love a cover from Gfellers Casemakers, Meridian ID.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I just received a couple of A4 covers from Gfeller for the A4 Clairefontaine essentials notebook. They are fantastic like all my Gfeller covers. I have them for the same notebook in A5 and the Qua Vadis Habana. Like the opening post I am a bit of a minimalist when it comes to covers. Some of the ones mentioned are certainly fine quality and beautiful designs, but I like my covers very simple and plain. Gfeller are just right and a fantastic company to deal with.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

WOW!! OK, I'll admit I'm excited after watching the video. I can go either way depending on the craftsmanship--minimilist or extravagant. I like both plain leather saddles or ornately tooled. Same with bridles, boots, etc. It's the construction, which I consider an art not just a skill or craft that pays homage to the animal the leather came from. After watching the video, I'll definitely contact Steve not just for a notebook cover, but for a messenger/field bag I've been desiring but can't find.

I was worried about the weight of the leather but the video says 2-3 ounce, so that has eased my mind considerably.

Full disclosure: I produced that video and I have absolutely NO objectivity at all about Steve's products: you cannot find a better notebook cover for this price and the video will clearly demonstrate why your cover is worth what you will pay for it.

The quality of the construction is far more important than the surface of the leather; it is going to age and it's going to get hammered as it fulfills its mission. You can tool it or decorate it once you've received it, but Gfellers starts with exquisite kip-style leather, vegetable tanned, and it's lovely. Steve carefully cuts out each cover so it is completely free of all leather defects like scars and blemishes. Steve can apply color to your cover but that's like putting a coat of paint on a maple floor.

Pull the trigger. You will totally love a cover from Gfellers Casemakers, Meridian ID.

Edited: because I can't type and spell at the same time.

Edited by mm1624124

Sold american! :D

Laura Ingalls Wilder

WOW!! OK, I'll admit I'm excited after watching the video. I can go either way depending on the craftsmanship--minimilist or extravagant. I like both plain leather saddles or ornately tooled. Same with bridles, boots, etc. It's the construction, which I consider an art not just a skill or craft that pays homage to the animal the leather came from. After watching the video, I'll definitely contact Steve not just for a notebook cover, but for a messenger/field bag I've been desiring but can't find.

I was worried about the weight of the leather but the video says 2-3 ounce, so that has eased my mind considerably.

Edited: because I can't type and spell at the same time.

The leather isn't heavy although it does look that way at first and it softens and colours beautifully. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• 1 year later...