#1 wafna

wafna

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 14:41

Hello,

I live in Krakow (Poland) and I thought I'd drop a line about Marian Grega, who, at 89 and still working, is probably one of the oldest pen repairers in the world. His workshop has been at the same address since 1947 , but Mr Grega started repairing pens before that.

When the Second World War started, Mr Grega, who is also born in Krakow, left for Czestochowa and started working, at 15, at the Omega pen factory (this Polish brand is now actually "revived" and they are making various models of school pens). "I got in touch with pens and was stuck with them forever," he says. Coming back to Krakow, he then started working in a stationary shop, whose owner was Jewish and was eventually sent to the getto. But before that, he managed to teach Mr Grega what he knew (and probably because of his Jewish teacher, when I bring him an awful pen he says "do you know what this is? schmelz!" (garbage in Yiddish) At 18, in 1942, Mr Grega took the craftsmanship exam and started repairing pens.  Two years after the war ended, he opened his own shop where it still stands (open from 11 AM to 4 PM) and where he works alone.

He does not complain of a lack of customers - sometimes he gets literally bags of pens from the post office, from all over Poland and abroad. He says that fountain pens are not just a temporary fashion, all kinds of people bring him pens to repair - from schoolchildren to Nobel laureate Czeslaw Milosz and director Andrzej Wajda.

Holder of "Artisan's Registration Card" (a document issued as soon as Krakow was freed from German occupation) number 12, he says that he remembers when an apprenticeship was a serious undertaking and complains that there is no-one to follow his lead. According to him, it would take someone two years of work under his supervision to qualify as true repairman - "there are hundreds of different pens and they all have something different," he says.

He has repaired many of my pens, from 100-year-old safeties and "lucky curves" to newer Parkers. Incidentally, I agree with Richard Binder that Noodler's inks are not good for pens. I unfortunately bought many and they can only be used with dip-pens as a lot of them contain solid materials - just let the bottle settle down for a few weeks and you'll see the "powder" at the bottom - how can something solid not clog a pen? Once I brought Mr Grega a pen which had used Noodler's Black Matter and he laughed and said "have you been using China ink in this pen?". But hats off to their marketing.

He also told me that "Lucky Curve" pens, in Poland, had a strange nickname, which I imagine would fit any country that speaks a Slavic language. As "curve" sounds very much for a very vulgar synonym for "prostitute" in Polish (as well as Russian, Czech, etc etc.) those pens were commonly called "happy whore."

Mr Grega has old-fashioned habits, and if the pen needs a simple repair, he won't charge for it. He always has sacs and nibs for sale, and often people leave pens with him to be sold. The prices for his repairs are - luckily for his clients - also old-fashioned. Sometimes an old pen needs a special spare part - and he makes it himself.

Although he has repaired very expensive pens, he says he has nothing against Chinese copies of these famous models - "sometimes they work better than the original." He remembers a period, during Communist times, when Chinese fountain pens with gold nibs were much cheaper than the gold contained in the nib. "People would queue to buy hundreds of these pens and they would bring them to me to have the nibs removed," he says.

Another tale from Communist Poland is when the first pens with cartridges showed up - people bought them but they couldn't get new cartridges, so they filled up the old ones with syringes. "When people bring me pens with unusual cartridges, that's what I tell them - buy a syringe."

Last year, Mr Grega was presented with an award from the Mayor of Krakow for his 65 years of work at the same address. Mr Grega is still healthy, although last year his shop was closed for a month for illness - "I hurt my knee and I had to wear a cast for a week. I didn't like having a cast so the next day I took my tools and ripped it off. I had to wear one for a month because of that," said Mr Grega, who will be 90 next January. He himself uses a pre-war Pelikan.

pr18.jpg

pr8.jpg

Edited by wafna, 25 August 2013 - 15:13.

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,948 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 14:55

What a wonderful write up, thanks so much for telling us about this dedicated repairman.

Regards,

Hari

#3 MyriamV

MyriamV

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 15:02

Wow, 65+ years of work. Talk about dedication and love of the trade. Thank you for sharing Mr. Grega's story. I enjoyed reading about him.

#4 wafna

wafna

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 15:15

tks :-) it's really impressive, if you think about it - he's been repairing pens non-stop since the beginning of the Second World War :-) I always tell him he's a historical monument :-D

#5 icardoth

icardoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 15:15

An amazing story   :notworthy1:

#6 sparetimefun

sparetimefun

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 15:50

Thank you for posting this. It was delightful to read.

#7 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:53

Love your write-up! Thanks for posting!

#8 GemMayhem

GemMayhem

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 19:52

Wow, what a marvelous tribute to Mr. Grega.  Thanks very much for sharing it. You are fortunate to know him and he for having a customer that appreciates him as you do.  I wish him many more years of good health!

#9 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• 16,391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 20:53

Great story.  Next time you see him say "Hi" for me.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#10 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 20:57

Thank you very much for sharing this story!

PELIKAN 100N, M101N Brown Tortoise, M101N Lizard, M101N Red Tortoise, 120 (I), 120 (II), 130 Ibis, 140, 140, M75, M75, M100, M100, M100, M100, M100, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M150, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M200, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M205, M215, M215, M215, M215, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M250, M481, M481, 400, 400NN, 400NN, M400, M400, M400, M405, M405, M425, M600, M600, M640, M800, M800

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - Where the flock comes to roost

#11 Opooh

Opooh

Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me, il nome mio nessum saprà!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 21:07

Great story.

#12 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• Moderators

• 17,575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 21:21

Thanks so much for sharing this great story! Love it!

#13 wafna

wafna

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:34

you are all welcome :-) perhaps next January I'll post a reminder here and we can send him a card for his 90th birthday :-D

#14 cybaea

cybaea

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:17

you are all welcome :-) perhaps next January I'll post a reminder here and we can send him a card for his 90th birthday :-D

That is a great idea! +1

#15 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 15:04

Wow.  Enviable is the weakest word I can think of in connection with that story.  Please do remind us at card time.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

#16 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,065 posts
  • Location:No one will tell me & I've never been good at geography
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 16:46

Hello Wafna, et al,

Wow!  A true artisan; I wish we had more of them.  Thanks for telling Mr. Grega's story, I sincerely doubt he ever would. ;)

All the best & God bless,

Sean :)

Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution to all problems.  Catholicism is the Truth and everything that departs from it, one iota, is disorder, deception and error. - Juan D. Cortés

Catholics Come Home.org

#17 pavoni

pavoni

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 16:57

Thank you wafna, for sharing this treasure with us. 

Pavoni.

#18 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• 2,002 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 14:30

Thanks for a remarkable story!

best

David

#19 ParkerGuy2000

ParkerGuy2000

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:01

I don't think I can wait til January!  How about sending him a Christmas card?  That way, we can trickle in cards for him around November, to avoid the postal holiday strain.  :)

#20 dasmarians

dasmarians

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:57

Really nice History, Do you have more photos of the shop or this man?? it's very interesting.

thanks!!

#21 slippery when wet

slippery when wet

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2013 - 21:41

Wonderful story and beautiful images.

Thank you kindly.

#22 GemMayhem

GemMayhem

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 00:37

Yes, please!! :)

#23 blbjdtny

blbjdtny

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:55

You must tell us which pens Milosz used and had repaired by Mr. Grega ????

#24 Tberry010

Tberry010

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:56

Why not cards in celebration of International Pen Day?

#25 mr2txaggie

mr2txaggie

Abby

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:06

Wafna,

Thank you so much for sharing this life account about Mr. Grega.  He sounds like an interesting as well as a wonderful man.  He was able to do what he loved for a vocation.  He also gave to others what he loved and had learned in life.  At the same time not trying to charge people so much that they couldn't afford his services.  It is obvious ( by your accounting of his history ) that he had, at times, a difficult life; a very hard life.  And yet he was magnanimous, too.  Thank you so much for bringing this to us - it is refreshing to hear about people like Mr. Grega.  Wafna, you are fortunate to know a man of this nature, and he is lucky to have a friend as yourself.

aggie               

#26 fpenluver

fpenluver

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:14

Really nice History, Do you have more photos of the shop or this man?? it's very interesting.

thanks!!

Agree. More photos would be great. And sending a card is great too.

#27 arrow king

arrow king

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2013 - 15:52

What stories he could tell, and you have but touched the tip of the iceberg. Thanks.

#28 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 11,572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:46

thank you for sharing this great testimonial wafna :thumbup: 

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#29 Voormas

Voormas

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:04

Thank you very much for this story.

I visited Krakow twice as a tourist - what a beautiful and well preserved city center. No wonder that so many historical movies are filmed there. 

Maybe next time I visit I have a chance to visit his shop :-)

#30 Ken W

Ken W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:57

Thanks very much for sharing Mr. Grega's story with us.  Sounds like a fascinating person.  It is unfortunate that he has no one to apprentice under him, as he must have a wealth of knowledge of pen repair after all these years that should be passed on.