Parker Duofold Or Parker Premier

rlraymondluo

Hello fpn,

So I've finally saved up enough money to get a new fountain pen, and I've narrowed down my choice to one of two pens: The Parker Duofold and the Parker Premier. Both of the pens appeal to me equally, though on different levels. The duofold is to me a nice classic timeless design, whereas the Premier is a very masculine and well-built modern design. Furthermore, I like the light-weight duofold for good ergonomics, but also like the Premier for a durable finish.

So I really am stumped, so I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

Owner of: Pilot Custom 823, Waterman Ideal, Parker 45, Twsbi 580, Cross Century II, Cross Bailey, Noodler's Ahab, Pilot Metro., a vintage Platinum, Platinum Riviere, Pilot Vanishing Point.

Ex-owner of: Lamy 2000, Visconti Opera Elements Air, Waterman Carene. Next target: Visconti Opera Elements (I'm bring sexy back)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tancred

• Thier.

• mitto

• Batman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've grown very fond of two contemporary Duofolds (a beautiful gold-trimmed black, and a 20-year-old Black-and-Pearl, both of them Centennials) so my vote would go there. They're handsome classics, and to my hand they offer just the right heft. I do admire the Premier, and if you're seeking an implement which (at least to my eye) offers a more contemporary look, still sophisticated, that's your guy.

Failure seldom stops you; what stops you is fear of failure.

-- Jack Lemmon

I would recommend the Premier just to be a bit different because everyone goes for the Duofold.

I have a Premier cisele sterling on my desk at all times as I love the weight of it and am fortunate to have an excellent medium oblique italic nib fitted. I'm never tempted to press hard when using it as I find the heft alone applies all the pressure required. My 1989 duofold centennial is in the case and comes out probably a lot less often than its superbly smooth nib deserves. As to the early duofolds, the flat tops and the streamlined, I find them to be very beautiful though they tend to come out of the display case only on the now relatively rare occasions I use my writing slope owing to their comparative fragility and quite high value. If I were you I think I might focus my attention on finding the nib that best suited my taste as I find that a nib that is a joy to use tends to make me a fan of whatever pen it is attached to! My tuppence worth!

:happyberet:

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

• 3 months later...

I prefer the Premier. One of the reasons is due to the long nib on the Duofold. Not really a fan of long nibs. I'm actually in the marker for a Premier right now. I will be choosing between the Monochrome Black, or the Titanium.

I'm leaning towards the Titanium.

I'd go for the duofold,very nice pen,very old and one of the nicest nibs i know even nicer than some mb's limited edition(for me)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

• 1 month later...

In December I ended up getting my Titanium Parker Premier. I absolutely love it to death. I also looked at the Duofolds while I was at the shop, and they were pretty awesome as well. I was initially turned off by them due to the long nib, and my experience with other long nibbed pens. However, the Duofold was extremely comfortable.

That day I had my eyes set on the Titanium Premier, so I bought that one. Maybe in the future sometime I will get my Duofold as well.

I like both pens equally. It comes down to classic or contemporary. If the budget allows you can apply Peter's second law: "When given a choice... Take both.

If the budget only allows one then go with the Duofold. You will receive more comments and compliments.

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

I may be wrong, but it looks as if the Premiers all have metal sections. If they do, that makes them unusable for me. I have a 1992 Duofold International and really like it. So, try both and buy the one that feels right in you hand.

Hello fpn,

So I've finally saved up enough money to get a new fountain pen, and I've narrowed down my choice to one of two pens: The Parker Duofold and the Parker Premier. Both of the pens appeal to me equally, though on different levels. The duofold is to me a nice classic timeless design, whereas the Premier is a very masculine and well-built modern design. Furthermore, I like the light-weight duofold for good ergonomics, but also like the Premier for a durable finish.

So I really am stumped, so I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

I think you summed it up well. It really comes down to personal preference. Personally I'd go for the Duofold as I've liked them since I was a kid but have never actually owned one.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• 1 month later...

Duofold all the way. Centennial, 90's black and marble. There is nothing more beautiful than that one. Fit a medium oblique nib and off you go.

Which do you mean, original Parker 75 based premier?

If so, great choice, great pen, but so is the Duofold.

Or the later model Premier - in which case dodgy quality control and much less attractive pens.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

• 3 months later...

I've just received a Parker Premier Black from a client cleaning his desk from the "no more in use pens" ....

After having it flushed, I dipped it and ..... Here is the picture.

Yesterday morning, I was still wondering which one would be my next pen ....

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/267952-which-one-will-be-your-next-fountain-pen/

post-90708-0-50357400-1403250866_thumb.jpg

I've just received a Parker Premier Black from a client cleaning his desk from the "no more in use pens" ....

After having it flushed, I dipped it and ..... Here is the picture.

Yesterday morning, I was still wondering which one would be my next pen ....

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/267952-which-one-will-be-your-next-fountain-pen/

A very handsome pen indeed, What is weight like?

I love Duofolds, having a P&B in each of the 2 sizes & a BI on each.

The design of the Premier is a complete turn off for me. Looks like an expensive IM, which in turn looks & feels like a cheap & cheerful Chinese pen with an expensive pen price tag.

Now, you may like flashy Chinese looking pens at Parker pen prices. If so, get one.

Personally, I prefer Chinese looking pens at Chinese pen prices. Though, I really wouldn't object to Parker pens at Chinese pen prices, but can't have everything! :unsure:

Regards,

Richard.

A very handsome pen indeed, What is weight like?

42 grams, it's still rather light for such a very well manufactured men ...

• 10 months later...

Provided with the opportunity , I would buy both. Hard for me to leave one on the cost of the other.

Khan M. Ilyas