TassoBarbasso

Richard Binder is faster than John Mottishaw, both of them remarquable....

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TREBFPN

• georges zaslavsky

• MKeith

• TassoBarbasso

I'm not sure how

Richard Binder is faster than John Mottishaw, both of them remarquable....

I'm not sure how you can demonstrate any evidence of this when it is some time since Richard Binder stopped taking pens for repair or nib work.

It looks as if you have tried to reach 30 posts today (you have posted several very short replies): ihave no issue with that, but please, do check facts before posting them.

I've had several great experiences with Greg Minuskin, two of which involved the same Diamond Point that I continually fiddled with when it didn't need it. He fixed my mistakes for free and gave me some of the most useful pen-repair advice I've ever heard: "Don't do that again without a knock-out block".

• 2 months later...

I echo Ron Zorn's top notch quality repairs and restoration on vintage vac filled sheaffers, he restored one of mine superbly.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

I am on a tight budget and I am looking for someone trustworthy here in the USA (I live in Oregon). My repair need is for a Wahl Fountain Pen - #2 Ring Top, Gold Filled Greek Key Design. It is near mint condition and just seems to need a new sac (the lever will not move). What place do you recommend?

For online, few can compare to the individualized service of Richard Binder. From his nib work, pen advice, and amazing customer service, I've been a proud repeat customer.

+1. If I want a pen and Richard carries it, he gets my business even if i can get it cheaper elsewhere. Period.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I am on a tight budget and I am looking for someone trustworthy here in the USA (I live in Oregon). My repair need is for a Wahl Fountain Pen - #2 Ring Top, Gold Filled Greek Key Design. It is near mint condition and just seems to need a new sac (the lever will not move). What place do you recommend?

For repair and restoration

I would always first recommend Danny Fudge who is the most economical but still excellent work: http://www.thewritepen.net/index.html

You have someone in your backyard see: http://www.northwestpenworks.com/NW_PEN_WORKS_I/indexx.html

I have never used him but Ron Zorn is highly recommended: http://mainstreetpens.com/index.htm

Nib Work

Pendelton Brown at: http://www.pendletonspens.com

Mike Masuyama at: http://www.mikeitwork.com

Lette at Pendemonium: http://www.pendemonium.com

Hope this helps

K.

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Hmm. I have one I picked up randomly on eBay that's not working. Maybe I'll drop Mr. Fudge a line and get that sorted out. It's just a lever filler, so I'm sure it'll be straightforward enough.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I assure you that you will be well pleased with Danny and his work. His work is guaranteed for one year also.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

A plug for Lamy. I sent in a damaged Studio in palladium finish. Got it back in about ten days, fixed right up! Cost is $9.50 forpostage and handling. Close enough to free for me.

I'm from the UK and have a couple of good words to put forward.

Firstly, for John Sorowka, or Oxonian on here. Absolutely fantastic nib work, always happy to take the time to discuss the work he is going to do, and also the entire hobby in general. A genuine and nice guy who happens to be awesome at his job. Have had a number of great experiences in dealing with him.

Secondly, for Peter Ford at MrPen.co.uk. Again, very old fashioned customer service, very friendly. Had one very good experience - I received a pen as a gift from his website. I didn't particularly like the pen, and just thought I'd ask him if I could swap it for a different pen on his site, but not expecting much because there was no error on his part. Not only did he say I could, he also chucked in 2 bottles of ink to make up the difference in value between the gift pen and the one I swapped to. Amazing :)

Not that they're shops, but I've received superior service from Ryan, US brand manager for Omas and Montegrappa, at US distributor Kenro. I have a couple Deltas at US distributor Yafa for nib exchanges now, and am eager to see how that goes, though their communication has been very good. I'm not dealing directly with the folks who do the service work, and maybe that's a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had excellent results with all of the following:

Richard Binder

Mike Masuyama

Aurora factory service in Italy

Parker factory service

Goulet Pens

Others have raved about Danny Fudge.

I am expecting my first pen from Franklin-Christoph.

I have had very little luck in finding a professional repair place. Fountain Pen Hospital starts repairs at $75.00. Binder no longer repairs pens. Zorn is backed up and the turn around time on repairs is at the minimum 16 months. Northwest Pen Store no longer repairs pens. I sent messages to others but I have only heard back from the above. I will try contacting the nonresponders in a few weeks. I had a referal to a pen repair lady but I never got an answer on the turn around time or a business contact phone number. It is quite odd to send in a pen for repair at a unit that does not give a phone number. If you have had luck with anyone recently please let me know.

Edit: I was able to get in touch with DANNY FUDGE in Papillion, NE. He sounds great and professional. His webesite - THEWRITEPEN.NET has a repair list covering most of his prices (very reasonable). Oh yes, he has a phone number too, 402.215.2376. I would recommend going to his website before contacting him because there is a lot of answers to various questions. Thank you everyone for the help. The only reason I did not get to him sooner is because I read the website address incorrectly and sent an email the wrong way. I am very happy to find someone still dedicated in the profession of pen repair.

Edited by TREBFPN

When I buy online I will have to add Mottishaw, Terri Morris and Gary Lehrer who both sold me fantastic pens with an outstandingly fast and great client service. I was a member of gary's website with the catalogs and later I saw two pens(Two Vac Fill Nos Sheaffers) that appealed me and bought them, with Terri I have seen two nos Omas Ogivas on her website and grabbed them immediately, at John I bought two limited editions Stipulas , the three sellers have been communicating regularly with me and packaging were excellent for both. There are some pens I wish I had bought beofre but I had other priorities at the time. I might give a go at Bryant, he has a nice selection of Stips and Omas pens.

Otherwise my main adress where to buy pens is the Mora penshop, I am client of them 9 years soon.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 year later...

I had a defective fusion nib swapped out by Ross Cameron at Yafa and the service was immediate and no charge.

Yes, this should be expected but unlike some others this was painless.