The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nemosine Singularity

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 restlesscourage

restlesscourage

Fabulous Fanatic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2013 - 15:13

image1.jpeg

Nemosine Singularity - 0.6mm

Kaweco Blue Black

This is...an okay pen. I bought it for use in my office - I wanted something that took international carts for cleanness/convenience of filling. It'll fill its purpose just fine, but nothing about this pen really wows me.

I got the Walnut colour, which, it turns out, is a pretty mediocre brown. It doesn't look awful, but it's not great, either. All parts are in working order and fit together properly, but the plastic feels pretty flimsy and cheap. Then again, it's a $15 pen, so I suppose I got what I paid for.

As you can see, I finally got the feed saturated enough for proper ink flow (held it firmly in a paper towel and gave it a few good shakes because I got impatient). It writes smoothly enough - not the smoothest nib I own, but probably not the scratchiest, either. The 0.6mm is a wider nib than I'm used to, but I don't feel like I need to write bigger than I normally do. The nib is probably the best thing about this pen.

All in all, it's a decent enough pen at a decent price (though I don't think I'd pay any more for it). It'll fill my office writing needs for now, although I'm considering a Kaweco Sport now, too. I'd give this pen a 3 out of 5 stars.

(By the time I finished handwriting that review, it was writing pretty dry again. I've currently got it resting nib down to try to saturate the feed more. I know this is an issue with using carts: you don't have the initial feed saturation like you do when you fill from a bottle. Hopefully that's all it is and it's not an issue with the pen. It did come with a converter, I just don't have a good spot for ink bottle storage in my office, nor do I want to deal with the potential messes of filling from vials at work.)

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott (This is where I tell my stories.)

letterji9.png

Sponsored Content

#2 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2013 - 16:05

Sorry you aren't happy with your Singularity. Did you flush it first before you inked it?

I got the demonstrator and think it's well crafted for the price. Not the best $15 pen in my lot, but better than half. Clip is solid; cap posts solidily, no blemishes. I got the .8 mm stub and had to tinker with it a bit before I got it to write well. So I didn't notice any initial feed issues. But I think I used the converter.

If you like the nib, you'll find it fits in the Noodler's Konrad and Ahab.

#3 restlesscourage

restlesscourage

Fabulous Fanatic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2013 - 16:53

Sorry you aren't happy with your Singularity. Did you flush it first before you inked it?

I got the demonstrator and think it's well crafted for the price. Not the best $15 pen in my lot, but better than half. Clip is solid; cap posts solidily, no blemishes. I got the .8 mm stub and had to tinker with it a bit before I got it to write well. So I didn't notice any initial feed issues. But I think I used the converter.

If you like the nib, you'll find it fits in the Noodler's Konrad and Ahab.

I did flush it, although I probably could have done a more thorough job of that. Unfortunately, I'm finding that unless I leave it sitting nib down it keeps skipping or refusing to start altogether. I'll have to see if some tinkering does the trick. I do recognize that most people here seem very happy with their Singularities, so I may have just gotten a dud.

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott (This is where I tell my stories.)

letterji9.png

#4 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2013 - 17:11

As it happens, I have one exactly like yours (same color, same nib) and it was also pretty dry to start.  The first ink I tried was Diamine Meditterranean Blue, and it just never seemed to flow the way I wanted.  I don't think I flushed it before trying that ink.  After finishing with the Diamine, I tried Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, which I think I had seen someone here mention as performing well in their Singularity, and performance was much improved.  It might be that these pens are just picky about ink.  I know that I have some Kaweco ink (Sepia) in my Kaweco Ice Sport just now, and it's definitely not a wet combination.

#5 restlesscourage

restlesscourage

Fabulous Fanatic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2013 - 17:43

As it happens, I have one exactly like yours (same color, same nib) and it was also pretty dry to start.  The first ink I tried was Diamine Meditterranean Blue, and it just never seemed to flow the way I wanted.  I don't think I flushed it before trying that ink.  After finishing with the Diamine, I tried Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, which I think I had seen someone here mention as performing well in their Singularity, and performance was much improved.  It might be that these pens are just picky about ink.  I know that I have some Kaweco ink (Sepia) in my Kaweco Ice Sport just now, and it's definitely not a wet combination.

I'm sure I have a bottled ink at home that would work. The trouble is I got the pen specifically to use with cartridges, because I have nowhere to store bottled ink at work and not the best space (or access to cleaning supplies in case of a mishap) for filling from vials.

I'm all up in the air about this pen at the moment. Now it seems to be flowing just fine, but I'm also keeping it tilted ever-so-slightly downward when it's capped, so I don't know if that's affecting it.

letterji9.png

#6 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2013 - 17:50

I'm sure I have a bottled ink at home that would work. The trouble is I got the pen specifically to use with cartridges, because I have nowhere to store bottled ink at work and not the best space (or access to cleaning supplies in case of a mishap) for filling from vials.

I'm all up in the air about this pen at the moment. Now it seems to be flowing just fine, but I'm also keeping it tilted ever-so-slightly downward when it's capped, so I don't know if that's affecting it.

The Diamine wasn't in a cartridge, so that may not be the actual problem.  If you have a known wet ink in a cartridge, maybe try that one next.

#7 restlesscourage

restlesscourage

Fabulous Fanatic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2013 - 18:52

UPDATE after a full day of use:

Now that I finally got the ink flowing, it seems to be working consistently. I still don't love it, but I don't hate it, either. As long as I post it, it feels substantial enough in my hand to be comfortable.

letterji9.png

#8 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:03

I always have to give the converter in mine (I own two) a good full twist to prime the feed after I have not used it for a week or more. I don't think that they seal all that tightly (as in airtightness). But otherwise I love how mine write and feel.

Sponsored Content

|