Photo

Preppy Nib On Lamy Vista/safari/al-Star (Almost)

platinum preppy lamy vista safari al-star nib swap

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 inotrym

inotrym

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2013 - 00:14

I have a beautiful -at least to me- Lamy Vista with an awful EF nib. Having experienced more than one mediocre Lamy nibs (lucky me! -_- ) I loose faith in Lamy and refuse to buy yet another scratchy nib. So the pen sits unused in my drawer.

And here comes that topic and that post of mine (http://www.fountainp...liff/?p=2746375) to remind me my beautiful Vista and what a pity it is to see it laying unused and how much I would love to just replace it's nib with a smooth Pilot M nib.

And then it hits me. Ok, Pilot nibs can't really catch on the Lamy feed, but how about that Preppy I bought a few months ago?

After playing a little bit, I figured out that the Platinum nib DOES catch securely on the Lamy feed.

The only problem is that the feed is a little large and sticks out from the nib, making the pen a bit funny/weird to look at.

Considering that the nib is just soft plastic, I might try to cut it to the right size with a utility knife (perhaps tomorrow. now it's too late, I'm sleepy and I will definately ruin it)

But, to be quite frank even with it's peculiar looks, I much prefer my Vista as it is now than as it used to be. At least now I can use it.

Attached Images

• DSC00885.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, preppy, lamy, vista, safari, al-star, nib swap