#1 TMac

TMac

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2013 - 22:09

Having purchased a Travellers Notebook 2 months ago, I find I just am not using it at work. I typically use A5 notebooks. The width of the paper makes me hesitate to use it. I work in an office and attend meetings throughout my day. I rarely am required to travel.

I love the Midori but just don't use it.

Does anyone here use a MTN in a business setting? Let me know your thoughts and tips, please.

#2 Pentulant

Pentulant

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2013 - 22:50

I use the smaller Midori when I travel. I find it's perfect for saving receipts, keeping track of expenses, and that sort of thing.  

The larger Midori, I use and love for personal budgeting. I keep meaning to take pictures of how I'm using it - I love it.

I don't think I could/would use it for work, though. The size of the paper would give me about five minutes of notes in a busy meeting - just not very practical.  

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>
President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

#3 Cerbervs

Cerbervs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2013 - 23:10

I have heard poeple useing  the midori travelers as a wallet/planner.

#4 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:13

Ya know thats why I ended up making my own...

I made one in a B6 size which is basically 5" x 7"

I like it better then the standard Midori Traveler size of 4.33" x 8.25" as the extra 3/4" width just seems to make it a better writing experiance for me. I just felt like the traveler size was to narrow.

#5 Papermate

Papermate

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2013 - 17:27

I've been using the larger TN as my planner/EDC for 6 years. I was a special Ed teacher until last year when I retired, and kept track of school business and IEP meetings with ease. I use the weekly printed pages with printed dates on the left side, and grid on the right. I especially love that an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper can be tri-folded and put inside. It's a perfect fit.
I've used Fiolfax planners in a variety of sizes, Moleskine diaries, Quo Vadis planners, and Rhodia planners over the past 30 years or so, and have settled on the practicality, utility, and compactness of the Midori. It gets lots of interest and compliments from folks. I purchased the 5th Anniversary edition when it came out a few years ago, but still use my older brown TN as a notebook. I keep a Pilot Frixion retractable pen under the elastic band in my planner TN. It's very light, and stays put without needing the leather pen loop accessory.

#6 SallyLyn

SallyLyn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:16

Watched a youtube video and the fellow mentioned the narrowness of the Regular size being good for taking notes during your travels, adventures, when on a crowded bus or train. That made sense to me, but for taking meeting notes at work, probably not. For me that means 8x11 for notes, arrows, side notes, doodles. 

Course you could always try write across both pages of the Traveler or do as mentioned above and take notes on 8x11, fold in thirds and tuck in between pages or in the Kraft folder.

#7 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Vintage

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:01

I use mine everyday at work.  I use it as a calendar, time tracker (as I bill clients by the hour), I keep reminders/lists, I also track expenses that I dont use my corporate AMEX for.

I dont really take notes in it though.  I scribble down stuff as I work on Maruman Mnemosyne top bound A5 notebooks and dont usually need what I write down beyond the next hour let alone the next day.  For important meetings I take notes on the Maruman and then transfer to my Midori.

#8 KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan

Fountain Pen Sith Lord

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:05

Not Midori but Midori style. Two of them. One was gifted to me by a forum member at another FP forum and the other I purchased. I have a third Midori clone that I have not put into service... yet.

Edited by KrazyIvan, 09 September 2013 - 04:05.

#9 Centopar

Centopar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2013 - 14:43

I do - I have a work diary (week to two pages, one plain and one squared) and work notes (squared paper) in there, along with another notebook (plain extra-thin paper) for non-work stuff, a kraft pockets insert and the plastic zip insert. I use it every day at work for meeting notes, lists, to-do lists, diary and calendar and so on. 

I guess it depends on what industry (or what part of your industry) you're in. I work at the creative, web-facing end of a tech company; while a lot of my time is spent with engineers (the squared paper is very useful for diagram-drawing), I also work a lot with designers. The Midori seems an excellent fit for my role, where I have to write a lot. Other people in my office use Maker Notebooks for similar tasks, the artist I work most closely with always carries a watercolour sketchbook, some use plain graph paper - and most just use electronic devices.

Edited by Centopar, 09 September 2013 - 22:56.

#10 dspeers58

dspeers58

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:02

I use a Midori for a basic planner/note-taking purposes. I have a simple 12 month calendar, and then also a diary, which works well to take notes.  

I also have two notebooks, one for general notes and the other for a project I am doing. The thing I like about this system for business is that I can use it for notes/calendar, but also keep a pressing project notebook in the thing and trade them in and out, as needed. Date them and file them after I am done with them. The plastic zip bag and the pockets are useful in keeping receipts, notes, and a variety of things.

#11 graystranger

graystranger

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:32

I am retired but when I worked in Engineering in nuclear component manufacturing I just used a portfolio with standard 8.5x11 yellow lined pad for my  note taking. I did not have my Midori Traverler's Notebook, Passport size, then and would not have used it in the office.  I had a Franklin Planner that I used for scheduling and tracking stuff.  Now that I am retired I use the Midori daily with a weekly planner, blank and lined inserts, the zip pocket insert, and I made my own kraft file insert for it.  I love it, but don't think I would have used it in the office or plant that much.  In previous jobs I may have used it for planning and light note taking, but not like notes from a meeting.  I prefer a pad in a portfolio for the size.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

#12 Centopar

Centopar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:57

The thing I like about this system for business is that I can use it for notes/calendar, but also keep a pressing project notebook in the thing and trade them in and out, as needed. Date them and file them after I am done with them. The plastic zip bag and the pockets are useful in keeping receipts, notes, and a variety of things.

Ditto on all of that. The ability to keep and file old notebooks is brilliant - and swappability is also extraordinarily useful sometimes. 

#13 KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan

Fountain Pen Sith Lord

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2013 - 16:12

Some buzz around Bullet Journal. It seems like an ideal system for the Midori style notebooks. I have been using my own system that is very similar to the Bullet Journal system. I almost annotate things the same way, I just use different symbols. Almost a hybrid between this and the Word notebook system.

Edited by KrazyIvan, 10 September 2013 - 16:13.

#14 althanis

althanis

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 00:54

I use a Moleskine, and will soon start using one made by TMLee.