Why Buy Expensive Pens?

dudedembo

Fleetlord - I think conflicted is not the right term. As I wrote in this post "don't get me wrong... I also love the feeling of a new pen".

My question is simply why? What changes between the first and third tiers? Why do we (me included) want to spend money on an utility that many people wouldn't even know there is money to be spent on (which comes back to my first part in that I had no idea about luxury fountain pens beforehand, yet now I want one?)

Sorry if it came across differently, but my questions were intended not as attacks, but as considerations that were applicable to me. I merely wanted the opinions of others as well to help me form an answer.

Thanks!

Edited by dudedembo

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Tom Aquinas

• dudedembo

• fpconverted

I think you do very well on raising those questions. Any hobby of collecting may, in some cases, be a symptom of OCD or other disorders (although it seems that everything is a disorder of some kind). That's why it is never a bad idea to question one's reasons for the habit just to see if it might be damaging to the professional or personal life, like shop-alcoholism is.

But most of the cases I think, as I said before, it is just an expression of the pleasing feeling of treasuring.

“Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Civilization, man feels once more happy.” - Sir Richard. F. Burton

Fleetlord - I think conflicted is not the right term. As I wrote in this post "don't get me wrong... I also love the feeling of a new pen".

My question is simply why? What changes between the first and third tiers? Why do we (me included) want to spend money on an utility that many people wouldn't even know there is money to be spent on (which comes back to my first part in that I had no idea about luxury fountain pens beforehand, yet now I want one?)

Sorry if it came across differently, but my questions were intended not as attacks, but as considerations that were applicable to me. I merely wanted the opinions of others as well to help me form an answer.

Thanks!

Are you looking for a philosophical answer? Because most of the arguments have been made.

There are a lot of things that some spend money on that others wouldn't know about. Its a free market, everyone is drawn to some things, due to different reasons.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I think everyone's answers have been very helpful thanks!

Yes, I think we are pretty much done for the arguments!

And carlosviet,spot on.

I always want to make sure that I have a reason for buying something that does justify the desire. Although, I am definitely open to reasons such as emotional value.

Thanks!

I think you do very well on raising those questions. Any hobby of collecting may, in some cases, be a symptom of OCD or other disorders (although it seems that everything is a disorder of some kind). That's why it is never a bad idea to question one's reasons for the habit just to see if it might be damaging to the professional or personal life, like shop-alcoholism is.

But most of the cases I think, as I said before, it is just an expression of the pleasing feeling of treasuring.

Well, you can say that 'collecting' stuff is another way to fill up a hole in one's life. Dissatisfaction from other areas is compensated for by all these hobbies.

But then every case is unique.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

There are many reasons, but I will point just a sentimental one: I would like to bring you the concept of "treasure", and loosely say that is an object that we love and care. Because of its intrinsic value, or for subjective reasons. There are many reasons to love an object (apart from a particular story with it). Its uniqueness, its history, its performance and, very importantly, the effort, in time and/or money we invested in it. Whatever requires no effort, whatever everyone has, we seldom care.

Whoever likes fountain pens, either generally or among one kind, will find them all treasures. Most have not only expensive or unique pieces, but also cheap ones, which are also cherished. But most of the time, the ones which asked for a bigger sacrifice will be most cared and valued by the owner.

Because as soon as an article becomes a treasure, treasures are cummulative. Particularly with items that by their qualities are more treasurable, for example, that can outlast us or be with us a long time; fountain pens, mechanical watches, porcelain... There is a link between the owner and each of the loved items which strenghtens with each addition to the treasure, with every use, cleaning, inventory...

To me, it is more difficult to understand the amazing expense that current society promotes on items that are not to be loved, but enjoyed, and a short time, such as smartphones, tablets and similar. Those are short living toys. A collector or hobbyist has, at least at the moment of trade, a long living love for the new acquisition.

Interesting hypothesis, but I do not agree with everything. My interest came from a serious injury to my writing hand resulting in a 25% loss of bodily function in the hand, and it was my orthopeadic surgeon who suggested that I look at the best class of writing instrument available, which is why as a young university student I got the Parker 75. I then regularly bought more pens because in a space of three hours intensive writing in my case I found a change of pen shape helped my hand....and I was not going to go through university exams with an amanuensis. Furthermore just because someone collects something out of the ordinary which is within their means and gives enjoyment in this fast becoming behaviour profiled world whether the profile has probity they are not that is their business.

Edited by Tom Aquinas

Some folk are satisfied with hamburger.

And I would be one of those. But I will not stop others from eating caviar, nor look down on those who do.

boxes, now that's another story.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Well. Everyone has such in-depth and meaningful answers. Mine is simple: They make me happy. End of story. My expensive may not equal your expensive, though.

Interesting hypothesis, but I do not agree with everything. My interest came from a serious injury to my writing hand resulting in a 25% loss of bodily function in the hand, and it was my orthopeadic surgeon who suggested that I look at the best class of writing instrument available, which is why as a young university student I got the Parker 75. I then regularly bought more pens because in a space of three hours intensive writing in my case I found a change of pen shape helped my hand....and I was not going to go through university exams with an amanuensis. Furthermore just because someone collects something out of the ordinary which is within their means and gives enjoyment in this fast becoming behaviour profiled world whether the profile has probity they are not that is their business.

Probably the reason for your interest is not transposable to a wide example of users...

The one I pointed is just one reason -not The reason- for collecting... which seemed to me that was the OP topic.

“Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Civilization, man feels once more happy.” - Sir Richard. F. Burton

One could turn the question, why is the pen I like so expensive?

Nice.

Interesting question that merits its own thread.

OP - Don't try to make sense of the madness, there's no logical explanation ... Just spend as much as your comfortable with; you'll find great writers in all price ranges. - lahlahlaw

This might be the best advice given in this thread so far.

There is so much subjectivity in what makes a pen a "great" writer. The smoothest pen I have ever written with was a Pilot Varsity. I paid $8 USD for a 3 pak, including 6.85% sales tax at OfficeMax. Thing was, in terms of my tastes it was "too smooth". :o My other pens all have the tiniest bit of feedback on the paper. Remember the entire experience is about pen(nib), paper and ink.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hi,

For me, I often tend to buy pens that I think are pretty, good looking, comfortable, made well, and those kinds of things. I don't think I need expensive pens, but I just liked the ones I had and they followed me home and I kept them, or I broke down and just bought them.

Many cheaper pens are made with much nicer materials, come with nice nibs, and are good looking, and comfortable, but I think I just wanted the pens I have, so I got them.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

And the number one reason to buy expensive pens?

No one will give them to me.

My number one reason for just about everything: Because I wanted to.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

From a purely functional standpoint, there is no justification to an expensive pen. A #2 wooden pencil (which I actually enjoy using) and the ballpoint you accidentally took from your motel room put words on paper just as much as the expensive fountain pen. No matter what some claim, you are financially better off with these "cheap" options.

But, if our world were entirely functional with the cheapest possible solution, what a dismal place it would be.

The added cost pays for design, materials, and, yes, brand name. It is up to the one spending money to decide at what point it becomes so expensive that the added cost isn't worth it. This is a complicated, personal decision based on many factors including income, willingness to spend money, interest, and even desire to show off.

To me, some pens reach a point that they are gaudy and ostentatious. I like to think that even if I were wealthy, I would not purchase such pens. To me, the main purpose of the pen is to write, and some are so wrapped in decorative baubles and excess that I can't imagine writing with them. Someone must buy these pens, but they value different things about the pen than I do (and hopefully have more money).

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Well, there's also the definition of "expensive". There is a family story of an acquaintance saying "something expensive!" when she was asked where she'd like to eat on a date. My father laughed and said, "well, I'd have taken her to the worst restaurant ever. Paying any money for bad food is really expensive."

So, in the strict sense of terms, expensive means value < price tag. Some people will see a $500 worth of value in $500 pen. Some people won't. For people who are satisfied with Papermates, buying even a Lamy Safari would be expensive. For someone like users here, Lamy Safari is not expensive at all.

And then there's the question of the user. Pearl before swine is expensive indeed (interestingly, we have the exact same saying in Japan... why pearls and swine?). Pearl before Cleopatra? Not really. For someone who writes novels, or a diarist, or anyone who writes extensively, a $500 pen that gives comfort and prolonged usage is cheap. For someone who just signs names, $500 is really expensive in my opinion.

The list of treaties signed with an expensive pen , having more impact on humanity than the completed works of penny-a- liners , is numberless.

Probably the reason for your interest is not transposable to a wide example of users...

The one I pointed is just one reason -not The reason- for collecting... which seemed to me that was the OP topic.

There are a variety of interpretations available of the OP topic, and collectors are invariably seen as extraverts in this modern conformist society which is so quick to condemn any one who'se mind set varies from the so called "norm".

^^^ This.

Snobbery doesnt become more justifiable if done in reverse.

Not everyone in life buys things just to impress others. Some of us are quite secure in our own skin and buy stuff to make ourselves happy. As Jar says, if you are happy with what you have, that's great (and this is not intended as a put-down - I am very happy with a fairly inexpensive watch and spending more simply doesnt appeal to me): however, it is equally graceless to assume that everyone who is spending on higher-end stuff is doing so "just to compensate". That comes across as sour grapes.

Well said. I agree 100%.

i guess it all comes down to what makes you happy and satisfied in the end.. everyone has their own justification regarding whatever price point for their purchase, this doesn't even necessarily limit to pens, can be anything...

just follow your heart and make yourself happy...

Look for something, find something else, and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for.

Want: Montblanc 146 Burgundy F | Need: What do you think?

Hope and faith goes hand-in-hand, because without hope there is no faith. The same goes with want and needs, without any wants, there no need to have a need.