Why Buy Expensive Pens?

dudedembo

Very interesting...

I still don't understand buying many expensive, well built pens....

Unless; do you find your writing experience, or handwriting, changes with each pen?

Thanks

Again, what makes up a writing experience?

If it is only putting words on paper then it is hard to justify any pen at all of any kind; ball point, roller ball or a real pen. A wood pencil or piece of charcoal will do that jess fine.

But cap a GvFC Classic or an ST Dupont Olympio, hold a Montegrappa 80th Anniversary and watch the light play on the low relief carving while you write or watch the depth and coloring change on one of their celluloid fountain pens, try an approaching century old Sheaffer Lifetime or Parker Lucky Curve Duofold, look at the tolerances and fit and finish of Caran d'Ache, admire the precision and attention to detail, the close tolerances of any first tier fountain pen and perhaps you might begin to understand that the writing experience goes way beyond just putting words on paper.

But if you are satisfied with hamburger, just don't order steak.

My Website

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Tom Aquinas

• dudedembo

• fpconverted

Very interesting...

Unless; do you find your writing experience, or handwriting, changes with each pen?

Thanks

Well, if you enjoy the pen then perhaps you would like more of the same so that you can have your favorite inks ready to go without having to clean and refill the pen. Or perhaps just because you want the whole color range of the model and then each day just use the one you fancy right now. Or maybe you want different nib sizes.

Very interesting...

Thanks

In short, yes, the feel in my hand (and thus my writing experience) depends on which pen is in my hand.

I also realized we pay a lot more for stuff that's lacking in craftsmanship and design, without giving it a second thought.Think food/expensive wine/liquor. Gone in a few minutes. Lots of services we never use, or statistically, the population will never use (insurance).

I'd rather spend on something that will outlast me, and stands as a symbol of human intellect and innovation. Good designs have years of heritage behind them, they've survived because they had the best design in terms of comfort, durability and writing pleasure.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

When high quality materials are used in making an item, only those who have spent years in apprenticeships and have honed their skills, have the ability are employed and deserving of high wages. Therefore human hands become involved in controlling the machine tools much more.

There is a wide gulf between so called mass produced "Third tier" and "1st Tier pens" and the latter becomes much more appreciated and cared for. One only has to look at the tolerances in good quality pens as Jar has pointed out. I have a Waterman "Ideal" eyedropper from the first decade of the last century, and I don't have to use silicone to seal it to give one example.

I can understand some members buying high quality pens, one only has to read their comments to show how much they appreciate them far beyond pretentious prestige.

Edited by Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

To the OP....

Cost is relative. I have never spent over $100 on a pen. The previous most I had ever spent was about $50. So in the context of DOUBLING what I had spent on a single pen previously was a little stressful. The other pen I was looking at seriously when I bought the one I spent $99 on was a Pelikan M200. That would have pushed the price up about $20 more. Since the pen was going to be a gift from my wife, she had a say in how much would be spent. I was more comfortable with the price of the Pelikan than she was. The one I got was one I had been looking at for some time, so I was NOT disappointed.

Would I ever go to $200-$300? Hard to say, but things would have to be significantly better financially than they are now for me to consider it. If I get a gold nib, I get one, Doesn't mean that much to me over a quality steel nib. I have played with flex a bit on my $20 Noodler's Konrad, and it isn't really my thing. I have considered changing the nib even. (on the other hand my Lamy 1.1 mm CI nib is a favorite and I love to write with it.)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Being cheap, I can buy top class vintage pens. Or a nice 'no name' or lesser pen that has a good nib.

I am after their nibs. :thumbup: . Vintage nibs can be depending on the company and era, leave a sharper line...There is various grades of flexibility not available in modern

Their balance. :thumbup: Most are standard sized or medium large so have to be posted to have balance. :)

One hopes for better quality.. So one buys the name and hopes...Dupont has the best quality, how ever it is a metal pen...So I'd more than likely only have one.Some day.

I do have a few black hard rubber chased pens/BHRC that I never thought I'd even own one. I have some 5-6.

I have a couple real pretty vintage pens. Many are basic black and gold...so much cheaper than German ones in color.

Used modern pens are much cheaper than new. Even the more expensive ones. Does it have to be new?

Are you after the pen, or the status of $$ dropping?

Chase the nib.What do you want the nib to do? There are some 35-45 different nibs...assuming you go every other width stub-CI.

Bling is nice....I think four people have seen my bling $ pen. The nib is up close bling, across a table it would only look gold. Up close, it's very finely engraved.

Yep I was out for a real first class modern pen at my B&M sale...found one too.

That brought me into The Pen of the Year Club. A year later I could think about buying a pen.

Couldn't even afford new ink. :rolleyes:

That one was bought because it was pretty.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hey everyone,

Since joining FPN I've been bothered by the same question... why buy expensive pens? And for those who do, why build such extensive collections of luxury pens?

A recurring theme that I have encountered is that of the older, more experienced members, generally with better handwriting, exclaiming that 'the pen does not make the writer/writer maketh'. Therefore, I would really like to know why so much money is spent on pens?. (Don't get me wrong... I also love the feeling of a new pen... but why?)

Do higher end pens actually make a difference or is it aesthetic?

Thanks!

There are many reasons, but I will point just a sentimental one: I would like to bring you the concept of "treasure", and loosely say that is an object that we love and care. Because of its intrinsic value, or for subjective reasons. There are many reasons to love an object (apart from a particular story with it). Its uniqueness, its history, its performance and, very importantly, the effort, in time and/or money we invested in it. Whatever requires no effort, whatever everyone has, we seldom care.

Whoever likes fountain pens, either generally or among one kind, will find them all treasures. Most have not only expensive or unique pieces, but also cheap ones, which are also cherished. But most of the time, the ones which asked for a bigger sacrifice will be most cared and valued by the owner.

Very interesting...

Thanks

Because as soon as an article becomes a treasure, treasures are cummulative. Particularly with items that by their qualities are more treasurable, for example, that can outlast us or be with us a long time; fountain pens, mechanical watches, porcelain... There is a link between the owner and each of the loved items which strenghtens with each addition to the treasure, with every use, cleaning, inventory...

To me, it is more difficult to understand the amazing expense that current society promotes on items that are not to be loved, but enjoyed, and a short time, such as smartphones, tablets and similar. Those are short living toys. A collector or hobbyist has, at least at the moment of trade, a long living love for the new acquisition.

Edited by carlosviet

“Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Civilization, man feels once more happy.” - Sir Richard. F. Burton

Very interesting...

Thanks

Well, "why buy expensive pens" and "why buy so many expensive pens" are different questions. I don't know why one would need 30 MBs, so I'm not qualified to answer that question.

Why buy something more expensive than Varsity? For the entire experience, I suppose. Again, it's the analogy of using expensive anything. Good paper, good shoes, well-tailored suits, fine china all contribute in its own ways to making your life richer in one way or another.

There is a marked difference between writing with a Plaisir and writing with an MB, in my experience. I can give you that much. Just as Gaultier is a world's difference from Floris or Penhaligon's.

Price doesn't necessarily correlate with quality, but you really need to know what "good stuff" is like in order to buy quality items cheaply.

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Carlosviet I really like your answer!

I have often put a lot of time and research into buying a new gadget, which has become increasingly slow and un-useable over the months, let alone years!

I can definitely appreciate fountain pens as treasures!

Why buy expensive clothes?

Why buy expensive cars?

Why buy expensive sunglasses?

Why buy expensive anything?

^^^ This.

People buy luxury things because they make them feel special. It`s a form of compensation.

Snobbery doesnt become more justifiable if done in reverse.

Not everyone in life buys things just to impress others. Some of us are quite secure in our own skin and buy stuff to make ourselves happy. As Jar says, if you are happy with what you have, that's great (and this is not intended as a put-down - I am very happy with a fairly inexpensive watch and spending more simply doesnt appeal to me): however, it is equally graceless to assume that everyone who is spending on higher-end stuff is doing so "just to compensate". That comes across as sour grapes.

Edited by de_pen_dent

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I don´t buy "expensive" pens.

I buy the pens I like, large size vintage pens, different color, different brands.

They just happen to be "expensive".

For me this all started with my very first serious hobby -- high-end audio. I have found out there are some significant differences in sound quality on equipment that is made with better quality materials, more refinement, engineering / design approach, personal attention to details, etc. Same with mechanical watches... always with a point of diminishing returns, though.

I feel that when you perceive more value to an object, your sense of enjoyment is heightened, and a deeper emotional connection is made.

I think this all got transferred to my pen hobby -- so now I just simply buy the best (IMHO) I can afford at the moment.

why buy expensive pens?

mmmmhhhh....hard to give an answer.....

a little help....

which do you prefer?

this

attachicon.gif143664A1.jpg

or this?

attachicon.gif1.JPG

I actually prefer the Bic! And I've been burned (or chosen poorly) with the more expensive pens I've bought (still under $100, though, so perhaps not high-end enough to really hit the better-craftsmanship mark?). So, for my own happiness, cheap (even disposable) pens are usually best.

But there are lots of things I'm willing to spend some extra money on in order to get the aesthetics I like better. If you've got the money and it makes you smile, then I see why you'd do it!

ETA: I've never seen a Bic fountain pen before. Clearly a trip to Europe is required...

Edited by libbyb
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

^^^ This.

Snobbery doesnt become more justifiable if done in reverse.

Not everything or everyone in life buys things just to impress others. Some of us are quite secure in our own skin and buy stuff to make ourselves happy. As Jar says, if you are happy with what you have, that's great (and this is not intended as a put-down - I am very happy with a fairly inexpensive watch and spending more simply doesnt appeal to me): however, it is equally graceless to assume that everyone who is spending on higher-end stuff is doing so "just to compensate". That comes across as sour grapes.

Well said. This is not the first time I have encountered "reverse snobbery" on this board. I work for my money and I spend it on whatever I like. I buy expensive pens because I like them. I enjoy using them, and even looking at them. I share my love for fine writing instruments on boards such as this one because it is nice to hear from others who appreciate the experience of using fountain pens. Lastly, I do not appreciate being told that I am compensating because I am enjoying my hobby in the way I see fit.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

ETA: I've never seen a Bic fountain pen before. Clearly a trip to Europe is required...

I bought my Bic disposable fountain pens in Staples, in the US, so they may be fairly widely distributed.

I have to say that until I started actively looking, the pens available in a ten mile range were not jumping off the shelf at me.

Well said. This is not the first time I have encountered "reverse snobbery" on this board. I work for my money and I spend it on whatever I like. I buy expensive pens because I like them. I enjoy using them, and even looking at them. I share my love for fine writing instruments on boards such as this one because it is nice to hear from others who appreciate the experience of using fountain pens. Lastly, I do not appreciate being told that I am compensating because I am enjoying my hobby in the way I see fit.

And to add to that, let's face it - in the grand scheme of things, a $500 fountain pen may be expensive "for a pen", but it isnt really a big-ticket item, atleast compared to a sports car, watches, camera gear or what-have-you. Heck, there are bicycle handlebars that cost almost twice that.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.