Retipping In Europe

checkrail

Does anyone do it? I would like to avoid the customs lottery of sending out of the EEA if possible.

Kindest regards

Timothy

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• checkrail

• watch_art

• Wahl

• At Midnight

I am not too sure if he does it, but, contact our fellow FPN member "Oxonian" or John Sorowka, who is a nib-meister. At least if he does not do retipping of nibs, he could direct you to another nib-meister who does. And, of course, John is based in England. Hope this helps.

I use Alvaro Romillo in Madrid (info@romillopens.com) - he does a great job, and has a very quick response.

Laurence

I use Alvaro Romillo in Madrid (info@romillopens.com) - he does a great job, and has a very quick response.

Laurence

Alvaro Romillo is Goldnibs ;)

• 11 months later...

Sorry to be so long in reporting back on this. Following this advice I sent a Macniven & Cameron Self Filler for retipping. I bought it on spec on eBay and it turned out to have unadvertised flex M-4B. The problem was it was worn down to the gold; in fact its owner had continued to wear down the gold. The nib had a straight horizontal profile prior to the work, but was hooked down to accommodate the new tipping. The result is an identical writing characteristic with the nib now preserved. This to my mind is craftsmanship of a high order. When I was evaluating selling on against retipping, I am glad I made this choice: it was touch and go: I had put it up again on eBay and pulled it before there were any bids.

Kindest regards

Timothy

Sorry to be so long in reporting back on this. Following this advice I sent a Macniven & Cameron Self Filler for retipping. I bought it on spec on eBay and it turned out to have unadvertised flex M-4B. The problem was it was worn down to the gold; in fact its owner had continued to wear down the gold. The nib had a straight horizontal profile prior to the work, but was hooked down to accommodate the new tipping. The result is an identical writing characteristic with the nib now preserved. This to my mind is craftsmanship of a high order. When I was evaluating selling on against retipping, I am glad I made this choice: it was touch and go: I had put it up again on eBay and pulled it before there were any bids.

Kindest regards

Timothy

It sounds like someone did a very good job.

Who did you send it to in the end?

To Goldnibs, as advised in the thread.

Kindest regards

Timothy

Alvaro Romillo is Goldnibs ;)

Are you sure?

I just got an email this morning responding to a question about this, and Carlos said they don't do anything for Romillo.

--

Sorry I can not help you in your query, goldnibs.com do not do the nibs Romillo, Our main job is to fix, modify and adjust nibs, for both private clients and professionals.

I've just had 17 nibs back from Carlos Garcia, info@goldnibs.com sent another 11 and I have a few others with him, excellent very pleased with the workmanship and turn around time.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

the goldnibs site shows some remarkable rescues, have a look at the Mentmore on

www.goldnibs.com/portfolio-category/nibs/

Wow. Did he just make up the rest of it?

• 7 months later...

Ask "Goldnibs" in Spain : http://www.goldnibs.com/

Very quick, not so expensive and very professionnal.

Hello, I am somewhat new to the forums. I was thinking about sending a wet noodle out to Carlos Garcia of goldnibs.com for retipping. Just fishing for someone who's had a good experience with similarly flexible nib repair. I'm concerned about the temper of the gold and well, I guess that's why there are so few people in the world who know how to do it. Cold feet you know.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am somewhat new to the forums. I was thinking about sending a wet noodle out to Carlos Garcia of goldnibs.com for retipping. Just fishing for someone who's had a good experience with similarly flexible nib repair. I'm concerned about the temper of the gold and well, I guess that's why there are so few people in the world who know how to do it. Cold feet you know.

I'm considering the same thing, actually. If I do go through with it, I'll get back to you.