#1 Jadie

Jadie

Picky Pen Princess

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 23:41

Recently I've been thinking a lot about windows. No, not those windows....I mean ink windows.

When I first started my FP obsession, I never noticed them before---being too busy being awed by the wide array of nibs, finishes, and shapes of fountain pens. But now that things have calmed down (somewhat), I realize that I really like them.

They're simple, functional, pretty things that remind me of stained glass when you hold them up to the light. They're not as blatant as, say, demonstrators (a personal dislike of mine), but petite, light, and floaty. And so useful, too!

My MB 146 has a lovely blue striped window, and I'm currently hunting down a vintage Aurora 88 after seeing a picture of it (& its window) in someone's daily carry on FPGeeks. I know the modern 88 has a nice window too, as well as some Pelikans...(not talking about the tortoise ones, which have semi-transparent barrels...that's a rather different type of "window" than the ones I'm thinking of).

Anyways, the point of this thread is, what do you feel about ink windows? And can you recommend any more pen models with them so I can Google image for some eye candy? :D  

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

#2 Matth13

Matth13

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 23:48

You could check out the Parker Vacumatic. These pens essentially have a bunch of ink windows.  :thumbup:

#3 Jadie

Jadie

Picky Pen Princess

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 23:56

You could check out the Parker Vacumatic. These pens essentially have a bunch of ink windows.  :thumbup:

Hmm, those remind me a bit of the Pelikan tortoise pens too----in that the "ink window" is essentially a semi-transparent barrel on the body of the pen. It's nice in its own way, but I like how ink windows have that contrast between the rest of the pen: see-through vs. opaque.

It makes it more interesting! ^^

#4 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 00:01

I'm partial to demonstrators...can't get more "ink window" than that!

#5 Matth13

Matth13

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 00:16

The Conkliln Nozac would fit your criteria then.  :)

#6 Jadie

Jadie

Picky Pen Princess

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 00:27

Hi doggonecarl, nice to see you like demos as much as I like ink windows. But I still make a distinction between the two because demos are too clear and bright for my picky sensibilities. =p I remember having a clear Guanleming accountant pen once and going crazy trying to flush out 100% of the black ink that just. Would. Not. Leave. The. Section. Alas, demonstrator pens and I broke up permanently after that.

And Matth13, I looked up the Conklin Nozac on Google Images. What a snazzy pen! The "Word Gauge" models especially funky---the numbers remind me of a thermometer. XD Still, I imagine it must be very convenient for measuring the quantity of ink.

#7 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,538 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:08

Sheaffer had an ink window on some of thir pens, notably the vistulated section Balance and Triumph pens. There are also the Parker Douvac that followed the Vacuumatic. 

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#8 Matth13

Matth13

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:17

Waterman's ink-vue is another good specimen.

#9 White Expressions

White Expressions

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:56

Certain vintage Sheaffers with visulated sections might fit the bill. They do have a tendency to amber though.

Edit: Jar beat me to it, quite quickly too.

Edited by White Expressions, 31 July 2013 - 01:56.

Yo Buddy. Still alive?

#10 Ted A

Ted A

New pen's in the mail!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:00

The vintage Kawecos have nice blue windows

We have a natural right to make use of our pens... - Voltaire

#11 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Location:No one will tell me & I've never been good at geography
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:06

Hello Jadie, et al,

Initially, for the first few years of using fps, I didn't like them.  I thought they were unsightly and lowered the tone of an otherwise beautiful pen.  However, I have to appreciate their practical value and like you, I have taken the time on occasion to enjoy looking through them in front of a sunlit window. 

The only other pens that have them that I can think of right now that haven't been mentioned yet, are the Noodler's Nib Creeper and Konrad pens, (but they aren't vintage).

All the best,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer, 31 July 2013 - 02:09.

Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution to all problems.  Catholicism is the Truth and everything that departs from it, one iota, is disorder, deception and error. - Juan D. Cortés

Catholics Come Home.org

#12 pencils+pens

pencils+pens

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:26

Lamy Safari, AL-Star, Joy. Serwex 162, it can free with the FPR Dilli.

#13 Jadie

Jadie

Picky Pen Princess

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:45

Thanks for the tips! Let's see...

Sheaffer with visulated section: lovely green windows, from the pictures I saw on penhero.com. I assume ambering means they turn yellowish---huh, that doesn't sound too bad. Gives it character, like maple leaves turning yellow in fall...

Parker Duovac: looking at Google, this resembles the Vaccumatic quite a bit---as in, it's an "ink-barrel" pen to my eyes. One of the models looks almost purplish on parkerpens.net, though---quite attractive. 

Waterman's ink-vue: whoa, more stripes. Like a zebra with camouflage paint!

Vintage Kawecos:  :wub:  Those are pretty ink windows. I especially like the ones on the V4---has that Aurora 88 vibe. Wonder why I don't hear more about them?

Noodler's: Great pens for experimenting with inks. The smell....not so great. XD But I concur, they do have nice ink windows.

Serwex 162: Ooo, this one reminds me of the Konrad. But I bet it's more...pleasing to the olfactory senses.

Lamys: my first reaction was: 'wait a sec, Lamy has ink windows?!' I've never seen people take pictures of the windows, so I always assumed that oval-thing in the middle of the pen was an empty space....some sort of futuristic design element of the pen. What a surprise. They remind me of those balance-measuring things used by construction companies...forgot what they were called, but they have 3 "ink windows" with bubbles in them to see if the ground is level...

Looks like you learn something new everyday, even if you think you know everything already.

#14 NedC

NedC

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:58

Please consider the Stipula Vedo, and the TWSBI mini Classic - and the upcoming versions of the 580 which have fully transparent barrels but are not demonstrators as the section, cap and end cap/piston knob are solid coloured plastics. A very nice compromise I think.

#15 MiamiArchStudent

MiamiArchStudent

Elegance and Sin.

• Member - Gold

• 1,399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:05

My personal favorites are the old Montblanc 13x and 14x long ink windows as they are so great look at it with all the ink swirling around inside. I also love the LAMY 2000's understated ink window, though, its not the most practical. 

What I'm looking for: Montblanc 132, 234 1/2, 235, 422 and 432. Any help would be most appreciated.

#16 redbike

redbike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:38

A lot of the lower tier pens - Stratford and Ambassador for examples, have ink windows.

#17 warblerick

warblerick

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:04

Both the modern Aurora 88 and the Optima have ink windows, as well as ink reservoirs. I have both, and the windows look nice as well as serving a purpose.

#18 DrCodfish

DrCodfish

neophyte

• Member - Gold

• 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:18

I too like windows in a pen, always surprized they don't account for more leaks.  the Pelikan M805 (all blue version) is a nice looking pen with an ink window. 

#19 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:43

Gate City Pens Belmont sort of has an ink window, but it's more like the barrel is clear with a long, solid colored end cap.  Some of the Delta piston fillers have ink windows too.  The Bexley Corona has a small ink window, maybe a little smaller than the Aurora Optima but still functional.  Imo, the Lamy 2000's ink window is so small & kind of opaque to be useless.

#20 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:01

The only pens I have with them are my Al Star and my Konrad.... 

I like the one in the Konrad better.. (size maybe?) But the one in the Al Star is a nice design element as well as functional. 

Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

LetterExchange_sm.png

#21 Vendome

Vendome

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:03

Reform 1745.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

#22 JessR45

JessR45

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2013 - 18:36

Always loved the Pelikans with the green tinted windows. Sadly they never loved me back :(, I just could not deal with the parsimonious ink flow on all the nibs I've tried.     

#23 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,733 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 18:56

I'm of two minds (I know, there is medication for that ...) about ink windows. On one hand, they are, as you describe beautifully, very attractive. And they are useful if I have trouble remembering when I last filled my pen. But they also introduce one or two additional cemented joints in the pen barrel, a challenge with which certain unnamed German manufacturers seem to struggle continuously. And they tend to grow opaque over time. But maybe that's just nature's way of telling me I'm using over-saturated inks.

ron

#24 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 1,659 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:16

pelican P1 has round "portholes".

gary

ps-really don't like them

Edited by gary, 31 July 2013 - 22:18.

#25 CS388

CS388

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,386 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 23:12

...snip...

They remind me of those balance-measuring things used by construction companies...forgot what they were called, but they have 3 "ink windows" with bubbles in them to see if the ground is level...

I think you're referring to spirit levels - that's what we call them in the UK.

IMHO, you already have the best ink window? The striped Montblanc windows are lovely.

Nice thread.

I also like and appreciate ink windows on my pens. As well as their aesthetic qualities, they are extremely useful.

I once had a desk by a window overlooking a river. At certain times of day, the reflected light caused shadows on the page. Very black and white, of course, except for the amber tint of my ink window. It was wonderful to be able to see how much ink I had left via the colourful shadow.

Can't really add any suggestions to further your quest. Saw a lovely rhomboid pattern on a vintage 'no name' pen once - other than that, I'd vote for the vintage Montblanc pens with their amber stripes.

Good luck

#26 hot cocoa

hot cocoa

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:04

Monteverde Napa

Franklin-Christoph's Piper Prism

Monteverde Mega

I like ink windows too, but it really depends on the pen. I've always thought someone ought to put an ink window at the bottom of the barrel for an eye dropper, just for a change of pace.

#27 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:13

wahl ever sharp doric with plunger filler, sheaffer snorkel demonstrator, conklin nozac word gauge and chilton wing flow pneumatic filler are also worth a sight

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 01 August 2013 - 06:14.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink windows, montblanc 146, aurora 88, pelikan