The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Clear Candy (Mf Nib) - A Review

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 koofle

koofle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:49

RxeWIcD.jpg

syLCmm1.jpg

(Ink, in case it wasn't clear - J. Herbin Poussiere De Lune)

I do weekly informal video reviews of pens/papers/inks in the style of my silly written reviews at the <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYpvSpwJuaT0OxsxhzM1e7w'>Inquisitive Quill youtube.</a><p>I am also very active on <a class='bbc_url' href=https://www.instagram.com/inquisitivequill/>instagram.</a>

Sponsored Content

#2 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:02

Thanks for more wonderful illustrations!!!! Keep them coming!!!

#3 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 18:28

Enjoyable review.

I have a Clear Candy (the "clear" oner) with a fine nib. Not nearly as robust as a number of other pens I have in the same price range (Noodler's Nib Creeper, Parker Jotter, Rotring Surf), but one of the nicer writing fine-nibbed pens I have.

#4 zhryj

zhryj

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:01

wow, beautiful handwriting and excellent drawings. :thumbup:

#5 RitchieMac

RitchieMac

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:31

Enjoyed your writings and drawings more than the pens themselves. Always brings a smile. :)

#6 hot cocoa

hot cocoa

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:47

Is the nib springy at all? A somewhat springy nib merits a fully emerged hippo, imo.

#7 carlosviet

carlosviet

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:38

I think that's the best review I have read!!

“Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Civilization, man feels once more happy.”  - Sir Richard. F. Burton

#8 aenjin

aenjin

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:43

That was a delight to read and I love your drawings! The design of the pen isn't for me, but the Clear Candy still looks like a lot of fun.

#9 Nonsensical

Nonsensical

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:51

Is the nib springy at all? A somewhat springy nib merits a fully emerged hippo, imo.

I recently bought one of these, and although it does at times feel a little too light and flimsy, it is actually quite sturdy. I like the design...a lot, actually. I find the little anchors quite cute, but not over-the-top. The nib is not springy at all. It's very stiff, just the way I like it. It's also smooth, and flow was good right out of the box, I just flushed with water, filled with Pilot BB and started writing. No hard starts, skipping or any other issues. Thanks for the review of this great little pen.

#10 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:12

Nice, love sketches like these...

#11 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:36

Thanks for more wonderful illustrations!!!! Keep them coming!!!

Amen amen!  I may just have to buy one of these.

#12 Davis19942003

Davis19942003

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:46

Nice drawings! I am finding an inexpensive pen with fine nib and This may be my choice.
How much is the sailor clear candy?

#13 koofle

koofle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2013 - 15:24

Hello!  Your flag indicates HK, so I can probably get away with telling you I got it in Hysan Place, Eslite for around $120 or so?  I would still suggest the Pilot 78G F-nib ($58) or Pilot Metropolitan ($158, but better/prettier metal body) though.  The nibs of these three pens are pretty much the same.

I do weekly informal video reviews of pens/papers/inks in the style of my silly written reviews at the <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYpvSpwJuaT0OxsxhzM1e7w'>Inquisitive Quill youtube.</a><p>I am also very active on <a class='bbc_url' href=https://www.instagram.com/inquisitivequill/>instagram.</a>

#14 bobaroo

bobaroo

My dog has a sock on its nose, and is very happy about it.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2013 - 15:47

Lol. Top review. Award yourself ten diamond elephant trumpets.

#15 Davis19942003

Davis19942003

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2013 - 15:58

Hello!  Your flag indicates HK, so I can probably get away with telling you I got it in Hysan Place, Eslite for around $120 or so?  I would still suggest the Pilot 78G F-nib ($58) or Pilot Metropolitan ($158, but better/prettier metal body) though.  The nibs of these three pens are pretty much the same.

Hello, I am finding an inexpensive(<$200 hkd) pen with fine nib. I am considering between Lamy Safari ( a bit higher than my budget) and the Clear Candy. I have a metropolitan. It's a nice pen but I really want to try out a fine nib.

I heard that the Pilot 78G is discontinued. Many people here recommend it. If I can find one, I think I will buy 78G instead of the Clear Candy. I have checked out the Hysan Place, but I can't see clear candy and the 78G

Can you remove the nib and feed of the Clear Candy?

#16 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2013 - 23:53

Can you remove the nib and feed of the Clear Candy?

Yes.

#17 Davis19942003

Davis19942003

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:59

Yes.

Just pull it out?
I found that it's a lot easier to clean the pen if I can remove the nib and feed.

#18 koofle

koofle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:29

The sailor clear candies are beside the cashier. Pilot 78Gs are always in stock in Chung Nam square in Yaumatei and come in B and F there. You can pull nib and feed out of both with a little wiggling.

#19 Davis19942003

Davis19942003

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:37

The sailor clear candies are beside the cashier. Pilot 78Gs are always in stock in Chung Nam square in Yaumatei and come in B and F there. You can pull nib and feed out of both with a little wiggling.

Thank you very much for the useful tips. I think I will go for the 78G.

#20 suexilin

suexilin

Fascinated

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:47

Loved the review!  :thumbup:  and the penguins :)

Sponsored Content

|