Namiki Bamboo Nibs

abstract49

Hi, folks. If this has been covered in an earlier thread, my apologies; I haven't seen it.

I have two Bamboos, one black (M), one silver (B). When I first got the pens, it was mainly for aesthetic reasons- I liked their unusual looks. And, to be honest, I found them uncomfortable to write with at first, but as I learned a slightly different grip, I began to like them more and more.

Here's the issue: Even the medium nib gives a generous line, and I would like to get a finer line out of both pens. I find a few nibs for other Namikis still in production, but I can't find any specific to the Bamboo. Is there a source for these nibs I just haven't discovered, or is there some Namiki (other model) with interchangeable nibs suitable to the Bamboo?

Separately, but still on the topic of the Bamboo: Literature I got with the pens showed pictures of a blue and a red or maroon pen. No one I've talked or emailed with has ever seen a Bamboo in anything except black and silver. Did they make other colors for limited markets? Or did they anticipate making them?

Regardez,

Bruce

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• abstract49

• Silvermink

• playtime

The Bamboo uses the Pilot/Namiki #10 nib which is used by a number of other pens, among them the Pilot Custom 742, which is available with a plethora of different nibs (just check eBay).

AFAIK, the only colors made were black and silver. I used to have one myself but just couldn't get used to the grip and ended up selling it.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

yes, Pilot does offer the bamboo in other colors---blue and burgundy. see this link:

http://www.aestheticbay.com/categories/Pilot/Bamboo/

As far as nibs, make sure to compare the feel of the nib. Ethernautrix once suggested that even nail hard nibs can feel different from each other. I thought otherwise--until I compared a rock-hard-nail-of-a-Pilot-nib with the Namiki Bamboo Rhodium nib. Yes, even nail hard nibs can feel different from each other.....

Edited by playtime

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

Thank you, Silvermink and Playtime. I thought Bamboos had been out of production to long for any new stock to be available, but it would seem Aesthetic Bay still has some, and in colors that weren't sold in the States (as far as I can discover). Makes me want to acquire one of each all the more.

Especially, thanks for the nib info. I like the feel of these nibs, and I hoped they were still being made, even if nominally for other pens.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The Pilot nibs on the bamboo look differently from other Pilot nibs in their line but are the same shape.

Edited by Oranges and Apples

• 2 weeks later...

These nibs are rock hard, and I cannot decide if I really like them compared to many other pens.

Thank goodness. I've never been able to deal with flex at all......

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

You can't get just the nib but you can get the whole section for a Bamboo. I bought a couple several years ago when they were discontinued so I now I have three sections and one pen.

For interest, there were five of the Bamboo pens made

- 3 models with rose gold clips in black, blue and maroon labeled Pilot on the cap with Pilot logo on the clip

- 1 model in black with rhodium clip labelled Namiki on cap and Namiki logo on clip

- 1 limited edition in rhodium labelled Namiki which is heavier than the others - I think it has a metal body.

All have the same black section and nib.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77